It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I think there may be hope yet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This was the closest thread where I thought I could put this. It pertains to two hot button issues - climate change and immigration. A couple of days ago, I was doing the second part of a three part paid survey. For this second part, I was in a zoom session with someone on the opposite side of my views on climate change and immigration. So it was me, a liberal democrat, and a lady named Rae, a conservative republican. We were to discuss both issues, our opinions, and go from there.

I have to say I was a little nervous. I'm not the most social person, and discussing hot button issues with a stranger with opposite political views isn't exactly my idea of a fun relaxing time. So anyway, the moderator started the two of us off with a neutral thing - to discuss our thoughts of the perfect day. We had a real nice conversation that I wish we could have extended, but we were limited on how long we could talk about that.

Then we got down to business. The first hot button issue we were to discuss was climate change. Rae and I agreed I would go first. I took a deep breath, talked about my opinions on climate change and what I thought it was doing to the environment. I talked about all the extreme weather all over the globe, and how there was so much well documented information on rising temperatures throughout the years. I also stated I thought climate change was mainly caused by humans. Then Rae stated her opinions. It was pretty amazing how similar we thought on this issue. Rae lives in California, and talked about devastating fires that came pretty close to her home. She also talked about how it is getting harder to get enough water to grow crops now. The main thing we agreed to disagree on was the cause of climate change. But it was very civil. We talked, and laughed a couple of times.

The second hot button issue we discussed was immigration. I thought we would be on total opposite sides of this, but again, I was surprised at how much we agreed on in common regarding immigration. I talked about the dairy farms in Wisconsin having problems getting people to do the dirty work that many of us consider beneath us. The majority of people working those jobs on dairy farms are immigrants. Without them, it is much more difficult for farmers to do what they need to do to stay solvent. I also talked about the thriving Hmong and Hispanic communities where I live. There are so many wonderful Hmong and Hispanic festivals and cultural events around here. I also talked about how I'm taking online Spanish lessons to be able to talk to Spanish speaking people if I volunteer. There is so much need. Rae talked about similar things going on with farms in California. There are many immigrants who pick the crops and all that. Without them, there is no harvest. In addition, Rae's neighbors, who are both Hispanic immigrants, are her best friends. We both felt that immigrants are valuable, and without them, this country would be screwed. We felt they are not taking away jobs. They are adding to the economy in a big way. We also agreed that Border Patrol is overwhelmed, overworked and underpaid. We felt more Border Patrol workers need to be added to combat the problems at the border. We also agreed that politicians on both sides liked to talk and talk but not actually do anything about the problem.

After all was said and done, I felt very much at ease. I wish I could have talked to Rae a little more. I could see us being friends, despite our differences. I truly believe there are more people like me and Rae's out there. It seems when average ordinary people get together and have civil discussions, we find more common ground than we think we have. Problems could be tackled and things could be made better by average citizens banding together, regardless of political beliefs, and making things better.

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ChiefD

Its always the same "hot button issues" Has been for 70 years. They play us like drums.

Abortion, gun control, immigration, climate change, global warming, global cooling, racism , and womens rights.

Do they ever solve any hot button issues? People are so easily manipulated and gullible

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Not much to be hot button about.

Let me summarize.

Climate Change: Yes, the climate is changing.

What is anyone going to really do about it.... nothing. People can ham and haw to the moon but the reality is all the "solutions" are simply money scams. Transfer of wealth from the many to the few.

If we were serious, we would already be priming algae oil in the desert southwest.

Climate Change is the EXCUSE to tighten the grip on the common people. The "you shall own nothing because we own everything" class will just keep having the lemmings support anything they want to do in the name of Climate Change.

Enjoy your cricket paste while we eat the steak you are not allowed to have. (Think about it. We are all in it together except the ruling caste).

Immigration / green cards. Sure, with sponsorship and a job waiting. (no criminals, etc.)

Easy enough.

Now some things we will never agree on.

Sexualizing Children - Not going to happen. There is no compromise. Go Groom & recruit somewhere else. And before you say you do not support such things, If you are voting for the people who do, you are part of the problem.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

twitter.com...

Gun control - I am not going to be disarmed. I think a hundred million others will agree with me on that one. We see how well that is working in Mexico.... LOL
edit on 7-8-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-8-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Climate change etc, is NOT a done deal. The so called scientists are looking at a puddle and trying to predicts the oceanic tides.

Immigration??? That was a nice little agreement talk but didn't really hit on the real problem with immigration. The problem is not those immigrants that come legally and work. They are vastly in the minority. The problem comes from the illegal immigrants that come not to work but to live off the system, whether it be by crime or subterfuge.

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: just4fun

Its always the same "hot button issues" Has been for 70 years. They play us like drums.

Abortion, gun control, immigration, climate change, global warming, global cooling, racism , and womens rights.

Do they ever solve any hot button issues? People are so easily manipulated and gullible

You aren't wrong here, LOL and we don't always agree either, But exactly they want us emotional and upset, and wringing our hands over talking about a 'hot button" topic. To look at each other as opponents and with derision instead of as neighbors with respect and tolerance

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 02:58 PM
link   

It' s funny that you talk about 'hope'. As a 'liberal democrat' you will get exactly what you think you're hoping for: a communist dictatorship, in which everyone is 'equal' ,'inclusive' and 'diverse'

Those are Marxist terms btw, you may see them used often in clear view on most corporate websites:

Marxists terms article

The US , as is , and everything you take for granted in life , is being destroyed on purpose by the 'democrats'.
They do this with the WEF (world economic forum) behind the curtains pulling the strings.
We are in the middle of the so called 'fourth industrial revolution', aka the 'fourth reich'.
Klaus Shwab
who's some big shot at the WEF wrote a book about it even : 'covid 19 the great reset', on Amazon.
It's not a conspiracy it's real, the 'great reset' is real.
"You will own nothing and be happy" by 2030 , according to the WEF.
You will also not be free anymore, have choices or any options, basically we'll all be digital slaves.
Enslaved by their 'social credit system', similar to what's been used in China.
"Climate change" is the excuse, together with the so called 'pandemic' to bring in the 'great reset'

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: just4fun

You aren't wrong here, LOL and we don't always agree either, But exactly they want us emotional and upset, and wringing our hands over talking about a 'hot button" topic. To look at each other as opponents and with derision instead of as neighbors with respect and tolerance

If you put 100 black ants and 100 red ants in a jar they will just run around like friends

If you shake the jar they will start killing each other black on red , red on black

They are always shaking our jar

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 07:30 PM
link   
There is not increase in "extreme" weather.

There is an increase in propaganda.

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well said. Another thing that would happen if there was a "climate crisis" is stopping the cruise industry

Those big ships get 30-50 FEET per gallon!!!...not to mention the huge carbon footprint to build and maintain.

I'll start to worry about the climate when the cruise industry is over, and all the rich and powerful give up their mansions, yachts, and private jets

Until then, the scam caontinues

a reply to: infolurker

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   
dupe
a reply to: infolurker

edit on 7-8-2022 by BadBoYeed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: just4fun
Actually, red ants and black ants will kill each other when taken from different mounds. Go give it a shot, i always enjoyed ant wars as a young child , like 6 or 7.

new topics

top topics

join