It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Caves in the Planet we call Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I've always been fascinated by caves for some reason, every time I step into one it feels like an adventure and going back in time. About a month ago I revisited Meramec caverns after about 30 years or so. It was a good experience to my surprise. You always think about the torches and ways to light back in the ages and it just makes you go hmmm when you think about before we had batteries and all..

Caves around the world

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Islandparty

Yearh me to, caves and deep sea and lakes and stories about secret bases down there.
Oh, if you like spooky cave movies you should watch

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 09:16 AM
link   

There's a novel by Jeff Long called The Descent that goes into caves and an underground civilization.

I really enjoyed it, I may need to give it a re-read.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

That movie the Descent was legitimately scary , I remember it from when I was younger .

There is a Cave system near where I grew up , We used to explore it for hours and hours , there were passages that went deep under ground in those caves that we never dared to enter. As I sit hear thinking about it I can remember being in those caves for so long with friends that our flashlight batteries would go dead.

it's amazing I'm not dead .

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 09:45 AM
link   
caves, the deep or closed-off caves offer sanctuaries where ancient lifeforms may have become trapped in a closed 'mini-biosphere'

i've often mused that life on Earth is duplicated somewhere else in the physical Universe,

so there is indeed Nothing new under the Sun

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

Ecclesiastes 1:9 What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I live in a geographical area in which caves can easily develop. In fact there is a cave system nearby that has tours. When I was hiking in the woods one day, I found an underground stream, and air was blowing up out of the ground from some openings. I found a larger opening under a boulder that I could get down inside, but I only took a brief initial look. I got some headlamps and have meant to go back and find it again and explore further. Underground streams and air blowing up out of the ground are both potential signs of caves, so I might have found one!
I also identified another area while looking at topographic maps where a stream seems to come straight out of the side of this one ridge, and I want to go check that out too sometime, but it will be difficult to get to.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I was at Meramec last week.
edit on 5-8-2022 by abago71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   

I saw The Decent and it was awesome!
Scary and keeps you at the edge of your seat.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Did you read the sequel "Deeper"?

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The decent should have done way better at the box office.
It generates primal fear, the one fear we humans are rarely
exposed to in modern in our modern world. Primal fear stripes
away a mans virtues. Leaving only the coward that is in every
one of us. All that said, caves an adventure that hard to resist.
Mines how ever are straight up dangerous when old and abandoned.

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   
spelunkers are nuts.

our ancient ancestors are usually found in caves.

i been to the tourist caves in missouri, but they are nothing like being the first to explore a system in thousands of years.

too claustraphobic for me.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   

LOL I've seen both of the movies, just makes the imagination flare doesn't it? just deep caves have always been my go to, went way down in a Missouri cave on the Currant River not long ago I kept my headlight dry and safe on the trip.. We maybe went a mile or so and we ran out of beer at that point. Very interesting I always pack my light with backups in waterproof containers, it was a great time as well, they said we couldn't go in because of bats or something. We went and hit is pretty deep, people were farther down I could hear them yelling but we were out of drink at that point.

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   

If I was really in a cave and saw cave dwelling flesh eating critters I would hit em with an ice axe as well... lol I'm not a mountain hopper or cave squatch, but damn is it fun.. I've watched many films of the one in vietnam, plus others.. safe and out of place for me...

posted on Aug, 12 2022 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

wouldn't mind checking out mammoth caves? have any insider info? would love to go

new topics

top topics

join