It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Griner found guilty. Sentenced to 9 years.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
i placed this in the Political News because that's what it's is basically just a game that both governments are playing with other folks life.

now i do have to say one thing, just what the hell was she thinking. i mean she was going over there regularly to play b ball she had to know it was illegal there. I don't believe for one minute she forgot it was in there. she more was than likely taking it with her over there regularly and getting away with with it.
but being that the war in Ukraine was about to start, and the response from all governments about it and the way russia was going to act to that, she had to have known better.

does she deserve the harsh penalty that russia no doubt will impose, no. but when you travel and brake other countries laws you can't expect just to walk, their not New York, LA, San Fran, Portland or any other lax woke cities towns or states.

I'll post links if i can hang around the house long enough to hear the sentence.

here is the first one,

KHIMKI, Russia, Aug 4 (Reuters) - A Russian court on Thursday found U.S. basketball star Brittney Griner to guilty of deliberately bringing cannabis-infused vape cartridges into Russia despite them being illegal, after the athlete said she had made an honest mistake by packing them.
Russian court rules: Griner is guilty

edit on 4-8-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

Just heard she got 9 years, got to suck, maybe she will catch a break soon with the appeal or the prisoner swap.

In court outside Moscow, the judge handed down the verdict stemming from the American basketball star's arrest Feb. 17 at a Moscow airport. Griner had been found with vape cartridges containing cannabis oil in her luggage, with the court ruling that Griner committed the crime "deliberately."
The verdict had largely been considered a formality by experts, as the true length of her detainment will be determined by negotiations on a prisoner swap between the United States and Russia.

Brittney Griner sentenced to 9 years in Russian prison
edit on 4-8-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Re: www.foxnews.com...

I thought President Biden and his negotiators got Brittney Griner out, in exchange for the U.S. letting a Russian mass-murderer go?

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
She broke the law. This is not about rogue dictators or bad presidents of other countries. I guess she never sae Midnight Express.

If this was you or me we would not be in the news. She is an entitled person who brought an illegal drug into Russia for gods sake. How dumb do you have to be?

As far as a trade for the butcher, no, there should be no trade.

I am all for medical and even legal in the US but this was just entitled thinking and she got busted.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

my understanding is that the deal hasn't gone through. most comments i've heard is old farty is pounding his chest trying to rub the U.S's nose in his recreational bear's sh@@ he rides.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Russia has said no deals can happen until she is sentenced .

But I stand by my opinion . She is worthless in a trade she has no value giving up proven killers for a gay basket ball player is just down right wrong especially since we have more important prisoners over there .

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
My understanding is she plead guilty to move the process ahead so that they, the US and Russia, can NOW discuss any trades.

I believe that wasn't possible while she was in Court.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:48 AM
link   
this is what happens when you assume drugs are legal everywhere outside the US, its illegal in practically every nation and some have harsher punishment than here, shes lucky its russia and not malaysia or some other place you could be executed for possession of drugs.
edit on 4-8-2022 by namehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Good effin riddance to worthless kneeling entitled garbage, enjoy the time you beach!!!
edit on 4-8-2022 by ATSAlex because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:55 AM
link   
With Russia getting kicked out of the Olympics due to its drug policy, this kind sends a message of toughening up on it. She might get out a lot earlier on appeal and good behavior? For now just looks like a pawn in bigger political games.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   
She tried to explain that she didn't mean to break Russian laws roflmao 😀

Now her ineptitudes and carelessness has caused the Biden White House and State Dept to look weak, very weak and listless.

The U.S. has trouble with foreign country aggressive attitudes don't they.

Wonder why, and she's probably innocent anyway right?

Is she a Political Pawn now ? Hmmmm

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ATSAlex
Good effin riddance to worthless kneeling entitled garbage, enjoy the time you beach!!!

She's been kneeling in Russia jails for 6 Months 🤨

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MiddleInsite
My understanding is she plead guilty to move the process ahead so that they, the US and Russia, can NOW discuss any trades.

I believe that wasn't possible while she was in Court.

Why wasn't it possible while she was in Court? Who told this tall tale ? 😨

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:01 AM
link   
No pity for her. We all know the adage:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:11 AM
link   
What is the average sentence in Russia for a bit of weed?. I'm pretty sure it's not 9 years.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BernnieJGato

Whenever I visited places like China, Africa or Russia, I was briefed and paid attention to the laws there.

Their laws are different from US laws.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Enjoy your free stay in Russia.
Your privilege doesn't go as far as you thought.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Dumbness does not protect from punishment by law.

As someone else wrote, there sure are more important US prisoners over there, she can get in que behind them. And letting a mass murder go for someone so stupid bringing drugs to a different country, well, I miss the importance of this person.

Did she do anything good for the USA?

"Today, American citizen Brittney Griner received a prison sentence that is one more reminder of what the world already knew: Russia is wrongfully detaining Brittney," Biden said. "It's unacceptable, and I call on Russia to release her immediately so she can be with her wife, loved ones, friends, and teammates."

It is Russian law, fullstop.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato
a reply to: carewemust

my understanding is that the deal hasn't gone through. most comments i've heard is old farty is pounding his chest trying to rub the U.S's nose in his recreational bear's sh@@ he rides.

Oh. Thank you.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Lebron James, who is now officially a billionaire, says that Griner may not want to come back to America. I would be feeling like, ‘Do I even want to go back to America?'”

Yea...it's America's fault.

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 11:58 AM
link   
She's lucky they don't send her to a Siberian Gulag 🤨

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join