It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHORT STORY WRITERS CONTEST August 2022 -- LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE -- LST2022 ...winners announced

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+22 more 
posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is an Official ATS Short Story Writers Contest!

It is open to ALL members of ATS.

This area is a safe place for our 'mighty fine creative minds' to gather. If you'd like to participate, know that the Terms and Conditions of your membership are strongly enforced. You are not in the Mud-Pit. Profanity, Political baiting, Personal attacks, are not allowed or welcomed at all. Want to talk about something else? Then go to the other forums here at ATS. We only discuss the stories in here written by YOU, the membership.

Your Entry Has to be Original Fiction & posted in it's own thread HERE in the Short Stories forum,. Then in this contest thread, create a post with a link to your story. If you need any help with Spelling or Grammar-checking, Word-Counting, and more please visit; Writer Tools; Spell Check and More

Your Story Should be written and edited with proper paragraphs. We have noticed that stories copy & pasted from 'mobile devices' might lose their formatting. Please review how it looks on the ATS Thread and add the proper editing (as you have only about 20 minutes to make edits/corrections). This is a contest, no one wants to read a solid block of words.

You may enter more than once, but you can only win one prize.

"The END" needs to be at the bottom of your story, it wont add to the wordcount.

You will be awarded "Writer" Status if you win 1st or 2nd in the non-writer category, please add in your title 'non-writer'.

The contest will run from NOW to Thursday, September 1, 2022. Any submissions after that date will be disqualified. A period of ONE WEEK after the closing of the contest will be provided for reading & voting.

Contest Winners get to choose the next Contest Theme. This contest theme is courtesy of our last winner Encia22, and is entitled; LIGHTNING STRIKES TWICE --LST2022

Lightning Strikes Twice....Whether you use something from real life, a song, a book or just just imagination tell us a story!

So, there it is!
How you perceive the idea of Lightning Striking Twice is entirely up to YOU!

RULES OF ENTRY (are simple)

* Entries must be original fiction. ATS members cannot be characters.
* Entries MUST include -LST2002- in your Stories title. ( e.g. A Ghost Lived in My Attic -LST2002- non-writer )
* This is a 'SHORT STORY' Contest. Stories that run past the OP are accepted but no points given for additional posts.
* You need to post a link to your story here in this contest thread so others know that you made up an entry.
* You must stay within the Terms and Conditions (please read)

WINNERS and SCORING

ATS "Writer" status, prizes as follows:
1st -- 5 Applause, and gets to choose the next contest theme (Repeat winners can choose to pass to another for the theme of a future contest).
2nd -- 3 Applause
3rd -- 1 Applause

non-writer will receive the following:
1st Place -- 3 Applause & Writer Status
2nd Place -- 2 Applause & Writer Status
3rd Place -- 1 Applause

How the Contestants get points to win all depends on you! You can give FLAGS to your favorite story and add STARS to your favorite stories opening post.

We then tally up the scores of 'Flags' (worth 2 points each). And 'Stars' in the opening post (worth 1 point each)

And that's it! Got a question? We're happy to try and answer anything about the
contests/rules etc. But ENJOY this new contest, GOOD LUCK, HAPPY READING and HAVE FUN!

Note: New OP contest format, image selection and artwork thanks to JohnnyAnonymous.

edit on Mon Aug 1 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: several corrections, my bad

WINNERS ANNOUNCED
edit on Mon Sep 12 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 10:02 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Awesome!

Looking forward towards all the upcoming entries, hopefully this round receive as much entries as the last one, even more!

Thank you DTOM and Johnny for another round of awesomeness.

edit on 31.7.2022 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 11:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Sounds like a nice theme... Is the interpretation totally free?

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene

Sounds like a nice theme... Is the interpretation totally free?

(from above in DTOM's post)

"How you perceive the idea of Lightning Striking Twice is entirely up to YOU! "

Johnny

**CAVEAT EDIT TO ADD**
..of course it still has to fall within the Terms and Conditions of ATS Rules (the T&C's)..

edit on 7/31/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: Added a cavet

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 12:32 AM
link   

www.abovetopsecret.com... Tracy (LST2022)

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Put on your sun helmet for this one.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Cheers

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Were off and running with a few stories already under our belt. I had already penned a little idea into a story, so indulge me as this is just for fun anyways (as Staff and Moderators are ineligible to compete). I happen to create my flow literally with the theme, but your story can go in any direction you want it to go in. And if you can swing in a "Strikes Twice" type reference all the better.

AnyWay, just for fun here's:

"The Storage Container"

"Do you think this is going to work?" asked Marco while he kept inflating the balloon with helium.

William shot Marco a friendly stern look and simply replied, "more pumping and less talking please"!

The skies above grew an eerie dark gray color as clouds were beginning to build up. This was the second time William had tried the experiment without the use of Silver Iodide which would of course induce precipitation in the cumulus clouds. He didn't want the rain... just the millions of Volts being produced inside them.

"I'm almost at full capacity and the crane is having trouble maintaining the balloon in place" Marco says yelling at the top his voice.

William started slowly releasing the tension on the cable letting the balloon float up even higher into the clouds. The hair on both of the young scientist was standing straight up and there was the strong smell of Ozone in the air. Unusually loud electrical crackling noises seem to emanate from everywhere in the laboratory.

"Marco... can you hear me?" William wondered if his voice was getting drowned out by the electrical static build-up. "Are the storage containers ready to receive a charge?" He took a quick glance over Marco's direction who was immersed in a glowing bright blueish color. "Get ready buddy, it could happen at any time now"

And in a split second a lightning bolt travels down the cable, immediately being captured and contained into the Storage banks. William runs around the room switching off and powering down equipment. Marco's ears were ringing yet was able to still ask "do you think we did it?"

William didn't answer as he was busily looking over the recorded data monitor screens. The silence in the room was almost deafening compared to the sound of the electrical charges they just experienced a few minutes ago.

Marco walked up and lightly touched his friends arm and slowly turned him around. "Bill... I know your ears are ringing but answer me, did we actually do it again?"

William wasn't known to smile often, but when he did, you knew he was being genuine and there was no doubt about it, William was grinning from ear to ear. He quickly looked at some data, pulled out his notepad and mini calculator and began chatting with himself.

"Lets see now..... If one megaelectron volt is the energy acquired by an electron when accelerated through a potential difference of 1,000,000 volts. It is equal to 1.602 × 10âˆ'13 joules." William looks up and down at the storage tanks gauge's and started crunching numbers on his calculator and then began laughing.

"Oh Marco my friend, not only did we do it again, but we maintained a steady stream of just over 300 million volts for two seconds. Weve captured enough energy to keep 50 houses powered up for at least 24 hours."

Marco yelled out a loud 'Yahoo' and he and William started jumping up and down just like they did when they were both just a couple of young lads.

The phone rings and William still jumping about and punching more numbers into his calculator asks Marco to answer it for him.

Marco still giddy answers the call, "Tyler Testing, Marco speaking".

"Ahh... Mr. Marco just the person I wished to speak with." Marco's smile disappeared and his face went flush. The voice continues, "was the test a success".

Marco's hands began to shake. "Yes, yes it was."

"Very good, we will arrange a time and place for you to bring copies of all the data" and then the phoneline went strangely dead.

William was still muttering to himself and without even looking up asked, "who was on the phone Marco?"

Putting the phone down, Marco slowly turns towards William, "just a wrong number".

The End

I (and the membership) can hardly wait to read what you come up with your story, so lets get crackin'!

Johnny

edit on 8/2/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2022 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Fantastic! I'm honoured you used my suggestion for the theme... I hope it stimulates more wonderful stories. I see a few stories have been posted already, I'm off to check them out.

Incredible artwork, Johnny, it goes perfectly with the theme. Thanks very much!

Good luck to everyone who participates... personally, I still don't have a clue what to write; I'm hoping that inspiration strikes me out of the blue... twice even.

edit on 2/8/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2022 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

I love the story, Johnny! I'm intrigued by the science behind it and the industrial espionage at the end... is Marco the dark horse in this tale?

posted on Aug, 2 2022 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous
Loved your story!!!!❤

posted on Aug, 3 2022 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Ok Folks, time to get those pens and pencils out... errr.. (let me upgrade that a bit, one moment please....)

Ahem.. Friends, we (the membership) can't wait to see what you create on your PC-MAC-IOS-phone-(whatever). Let that creativity flow unrestricted. Looking forward to see what you dream up, just don't end up like the guy below that had a huge stumbling block while writing!

posted on Aug, 4 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Great theme, Encia!!

I've been having fun today tossing some ideas around.

I'm looking forward to what everyone comes up with.

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Ok! Lighting strikes twice!

Asufutimaehaehfutbw

edit on 5-8-2022 by EmmanuelGoldstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2022 @ 06:18 PM
link   
My entry for the contest

The caves of Queensland

I must say I found the topic pretty difficult...
The story is a bit different then what I usually write, it was a bit of an experiment for me. I only hope I stayed on theme enough, since the story kind of took its own turn while writing it

posted on Aug, 7 2022 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BECAUSE ATS CARES!

edit on 8/7/2022 by JohnnyAnonymous because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2022 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Approach to Battle

I hope the reader enjoys my tale.

edit on 8-8-2022 by xpert11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the great theme, Encia! I had a great time writing this. Looking forward to reading more.
Writer--Electric Blue

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 12:56 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com... The old Man of Many Winters LST2022

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Am I misremembering, or was there initially a 100-word limit to this contest as well ?

Cheers

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join