It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best of Horror

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Great read. My favorite line was

AM had not tampered with my mind. Not at all

posted on Jul, 31 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Total work of fiction, that.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I recently finished Rabbit King by Keith McCabe. It is not a traditional horror story, but the creepiness factor is high.

posted on Aug, 1 2022 @ 02:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski

And anything by Richard Matheson.

# you made it through that deal before me too, dayum I must be really stoopid I was getting into it but got to a point I couldn't follow house of leaves and I literally gave the book away to a friend

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Under the Skin has been shipped and is on its way!!

posted on Aug, 5 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Pillywiggin

This one looks super interesting!!

I'll have to add it to the ever expanding list lol

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 04:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

Under the Skin has been shipped and is on its way!!

Ha good man, have to say I read many, many books during the last two years and that one always stayed with me..

Have even got goosepimples right now thinking about it

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pillywiggin
I recently finished Rabbit King by Keith McCabe. It is not a traditional horror story, but the creepiness factor is high.

Have added that one to the list.

It was about 20 years ago but remember reading 'Domain' by James Herbert and it scared the bejebus out of me.

posted on Aug, 9 2022 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Check out The Monk by Matthew Lewis, if you haven't.

I haven't read it in over 20 years (and it's packed in storage right now), but I remember enjoying it very well. Might have to purchase another copy, as I've done with a few others still boxed away.

For nonfiction horror, I've been reading a bunch of Holocaust survivor memoirs.

posted on Aug, 10 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

I haven't read The Monk--looks really good! I'll check that out too.

I watched a youtube vid last night called "The Unbearable Lightness of NAZIs" that talked about the photo album of the guards/officers of Auschwitz enjoying the summer of 45. Horrifying, you're absolutely right.

posted on Aug, 20 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Yo mate 'Let the Right One In' by John Ajvide Lindqvist is also very good.

posted on Sep, 4 2022 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I have more to add. I realized I left one of my absolute favorites of my earlier posts. Drood by Dan Simmons is fantastic. I can't really describe it, other than to say it involves the character Drood, Charles Dickens, and a secret community living under London that might or might not actually exist. I recently finished The Hollows by T. Kingfisher, which is about a passage to another planet that opens behind the wall of a small museum. I would call it horror light, but I did really like the characters. Just this morning I finished Last Days by Adam Neville. The plot centered on a modern documentary filmmaker who was hired to film a documentary about a doomsday cult active in the 1970s. Genuinely frightening, but so good I could hardly put it down.

posted on Sep, 24 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I finally got around to this one, and it was an excellent recommendation. Thanks!

Despite covering several familiar themes, this was a wholly original and interesting read. I enjoyed the way the author kept aspects of the plot hidden and the almost casual way in which bits and pieces were revealed. I think that, despite loving the horror genre, I'm fairly hard to horrify, and so while none of the book really scared me, it was an unsettling and uncanny book and left me with plenty to think about.

Cheers!!
edit on 24-9-2022 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 3 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   
DEVIATION. My third published book. A collection of horror short stories. Link to Amazon from my website at JDWilsonBooks.com

posted on Oct, 5 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   

As a huge horror fan, I have quite a few favorite authors in the genre. Topping my list is Stephen King, who is a master of psychological horror. I also enjoy the work of Dean Koontz, who often blends horror with suspense and mystery. And I can't forget about Mary Shelley, who created one of the most iconic horror characters of all time in Frankenstein. But if I had to choose just one favorite author, it would be Bram Stoker. His novel Dracula is a timeless classic that has inspired countless other works of horror. Stoker understood that what is truly frightening is not the blood and gore, but the things that we cannot see or fully understand. And that is why his work continues to scare and fascinate readers even today.

posted on Oct, 7 2022 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: guylockky

YES. Frankenstein is such an amazing book. I'd highly recommend a copy illustrated by Bernie Wrightson.

Re-reading King's The Long Walk right now after many, many years and it's so chilling/immersive. King really is a good writer, if a bit to effusive at times. Pet Semetary is my favorite of his.

posted on Nov, 16 2022 @ 09:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov
I finally got around to this one, and it was an excellent recommendation. Thanks!

Despite covering several familiar themes, this was a wholly original and interesting read. I enjoyed the way the author kept aspects of the plot hidden and the almost casual way in which bits and pieces were revealed. I think that, despite loving the horror genre, I'm fairly hard to horrify, and so while none of the book really scared me, it was an unsettling and uncanny book and left me with plenty to think about.

Cheers!!

No worries mate and am glad you enjoyed it - truly great book and for some reason it truly disturbed me (and got 'under my skin' lol).

Cheers.

posted on Nov, 17 2022 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Interesting; while I agree that Frankenstein was a good book, I wouldn't really classify it as 'horror', as I don't think that was the main goal in writing it. I've heard it classified as 'science fiction' before as well, but that doesn't quite have the right feel to it, either.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join