It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Book recommendations: Unadultered English version of Quran?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I am not enlightened.

Are you satisfied with this statement of mine?

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: turretless

I'm happy because its Saturday.
I've had a play on ATS to occupy myself, I've picked my horses out and am going to watch a bit of racing on the telly then I'm going to get ready and go and meet some friends to say goodbye to a very good mate who is going to Abu Dhabi to live for 5 years.

My wife has a smile on her face, my Grandson is playing happily with his mates.
Spoke to my parents and all is good with them today.
My brother sent me a picture of one of my nephew's Graduation.

Today is a good day in a world that is going crazy.

I'm going enjoy the day for what it is.....tomorrow is tomorrow.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I'm going enjoy the day for what it is.....tomorrow is tomorrow.

I wish you that not only today but also tomorrow will be amazing for you.

posted on Jul, 23 2022 @ 07:01 AM
link   

And I wish you all the very best too.
🥃

posted on Jul, 24 2022 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
I was given a copy of the Quran by a well meaning coworker of a previous boyfriend.

He was very nice about it, had invited us over for tea at his apartment and as a parting gift gave me a copy to share his faith.

I was extremely into world theologies back then, so I was very grateful.

However, he neglected to inform me that in the Islamic culture, women are forbidden from reading certain passages, as they are intended for men and the warrior caste only.

Imagine my surprise when I randomly opened the book to read, and was greeted with the most violent description of murdering the unbelievers I have ever seen in my life.

My mind rebelled in horror, and I literally felt like I had blood on my hands.

I closed the book and donated it at first opportunity.

I wish I had been given that warning about not reading certain passages.

It's been twenty some odd years later and I have come across passages speaking of Allah's creation and mercy, and many of them are quite beautiful and peaceful thoughts and meditations.

I bought a paperback translation for further study, but I am still learning about how to "skip over" the passages not designed for the fairer sex so hopefully, I won't have such a terrifying experience again.

Yeah I imagine that's the kind of stuff some versions leave out because it makes Islam look bad.

I'd rather read all of it.

posted on Jul, 26 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

From what I understand, the bloody passages were written for the warrior caste to defend the Muslim people from invading armies back in the day. They are hardly relevant now, but some ministers are still obsessed with promoting these passages.

All the Muslims I know focus on the peace and mercy of Allah, and they are very gentle people.

But even with Christianity, there are warrior sects that believe themselves to be the "Hand of God" and look for every opportunity to levy what they believe is His judgement.

The problem for me is, many times they have quite literally brainwashed themselves to believe they are doing God's Will even though Jesus taught Peace, Non Judgement, Loving Thy Neighbor and Turning the other cheek.

They are focusing on passages that fuel their personal egos, instead of submitting to the commandment of peace and loving their neighbor.

I simply don't understand the schism in various sects of those who call themselves Christian, but behave as anything but.

The same goes for those who feel the obsessive need for Jihad.

I simply don't understand.

edit on 7/26/22 by GENERAL EYES because: spelling erorr correction

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

I appreciate your perspective. Yeah this isn't an Islam v Christianity thing for me. I know there are good people and bad people in every religion. I just want to read the original text. You can say those passages are antiquated but they're part of the original text. Do you know an edition I can get that is intact and not sanitized?

posted on Jul, 29 2022 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I wish I could offer a resource.

The Koran I was given was an English Translation of the original text.

It was green hardback, but with a soft padded binding, with gold leaf printing on the cover.

I looked online for a copy of what I remember but it yielded no results.

If I still was in possession of it I would mail it to you.

Sorry I gave it up decades ago.

I wish you luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join