It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England braces for 40C temperatures as experts warn thousands could die

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

today (Saturday) is just a normal summer's day (though frankly still a bit too hot for me!)

Just got back in and yeah it is a bit warm out there, forcast says it's 24C where I am so that's a bit concerning for Monday and Tuesday as it's going to be over 10 degrees warmer.
☀️

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:37 AM
link   
LOL!

Stay away from strong breezes.

a reply to: ScepticScot

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Come to Zelenograd!

Now it's raining outside my window.

And the temperature is 15 degrees Celsius.

Time - 17:41

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

It's legit, but mainly because Britain does not regularly experience heat like this (where I am at in the US). Since their climate is usually colder, most of their buildings are un-airconditioned and built to hold in heat. This is a bad combo in an unusual heat wave.

Basically, where I am at, we're looking at the right conditions to hit 100 for the first time since 2012. So it is unusually warm, but we are also a bit dry which helps. Humidity won't hold us down, but we are also in the hottest two or three weeks of the year, so we should expect it. And, 100 degrees is not such an anomaly that we aren't prepped for it to happen out here.
edit on 16-7-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
is this global warming?

I only ask as depending on the event, it can be "climate" or "weather", all depending on how it can be spun.

By definition, the meteorological conditions on any single day are weather. By definition, the weather conditions averaged over an extended period of time (let’s say a century) define climate. Climate is the average conditions you would expect at a given location at a given time of year, together with some measure of how much variability around those average conditions you would expect.

In the British Empire they started keeping widespread accurate weather records about 200 years ago. According to historical records, the average high temperatures in Southern England for mid-July are in the mid 70s, with the peak temperatures rarely getting to 90 F, so 104 F is going to be about 10+ F hotter than historical peak temperatures. There’s also the fact that the previous record high temperature in July in England occurred in 2019 and was a few degrees cooler than the forecast for the next few days. The fact that they keep breaking two hundred year old records every few years should tell you that temperatures are rising systematically every few years at a rate that’s greater than the random variability you would expect from historical patterns over the same few years. In other words, that suggests that the average conditions are currently getting warmer than historical averages.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Maybe, but then again, they don't know how hot it got during the Medieval Warm Period. The records don't extend back that far. It got warm enough in England on average that they were raising wine grapes and making wine at the monasteries back then.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I suppose there could be a concern were the Britons Anglo-Saxons, who were certainly unfit for hot weather. But today, most of the population there comes from India, Pakistan, Rajasthan, African countries and other Asian ones, so I guess they are genetically fit to withstand high temperatures.

No major impact.

I'm sure this situation also holds for most countries, therefore heat waves won't kill you.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Direne

Eh, it depends. Once you live in an area and climate for a time, you get adapted to it. People from those places may have come out of hotter climates, but they get used to the cooler weather and aren't used to the heat when it comes back around. They will still feel it quite a bit.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Get some swamp coolers and fans stagnant air is the worst in the heat in my opinion.

I want to say it was right around 100 F when we were leaving germany back in 2018, just remember being told it was the warmest week or so on record for north rhine westphalia, so of course the missus was 7 months pregnant.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The high today in my neck of the Sonoran Desert says it's supposed to hit 45 Celsius (113 Deg F). But I have A/C and a pool to keep me cool.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Fear mongers, sure 104f is pretty hot, but we have had that a few times already in Ohio with the index and last year we had a solid month over 100, damn near a week at 115-118f in S. Oregon.

The tinfoil in me wonders about the hydrogel/nano components of the shots as reactionary to the heat, or perhaps they just plan on using it as a cover for continuing inexplicable deaths/so called SADS

The constant messages of potential deaths being presaged in the media is totally suspect

edit on 16-7-2022 by BlueJacket because: Sp

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Yes, I see your point. But ketsuko, those Britons were already messing around India, Africa, and Asia, and they established colonies and complete administrations, and they seemed to be very well adapted to those harsh weather.
I'm sure the guys working for the British East India Company or the ones working for the British South Africa Company and living in those countries adapted to the climate there.

I'll tell you something: the Anglo-Saxons in the touristic resorts along the Mediterranean Sea adapt themselves very well to hot temperatures. Even if some of them find it funny to jump from the balcony of the hotel into the swimming pool six floors below and dying, I believe this most strange behaviour is due to alcohol consumption rather than the local hot temperatures.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Anything to do with the Suns recent activity by any chance?

The sun has been firing off a number of flares recently. That's no surprise, given that our star's 11-year activity cycle is expected to peak in 2025 or so.

Solar Flare 2022

…and there’s supposed to be a huge flare heading our way landing anytime soon.

July Solar Flare

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Most vulnerable, such as the elderly and children who don't have AC should probably take a trip to the local mall or movie theater and hang out during the worst part of the day, which would be the latter half of the day. There's always a delay in heat transference between indoors and outdoors. So when the heat of the day already passed, around 3pm, give it maybe two hours and that is when it'll be the worst indoors. And in the evening if you have to stay home it would probably be a good idea to sit outside for an hour or two after dusk.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: turretless

Don't come to Zelenograd!

The rain is over.

The temperature is 18 degrees Celsius and will likely continue to rise.

18:47

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: wooleyjumper
Anything to do with the Suns recent activity by any chance?

The sun has been firing off a number of flares recently. That's no surprise, given that our star's 11-year activity cycle is expected to peak in 2025 or so.

Solar Flare 2022

…and there’s supposed to be a huge flare heading our way landing anytime soon.

July Solar Flare

m.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Taps aff weather even up here.

Not here it ain't at 17 degrees centigrade.
Might have guessed you'd be one of those blokes going about bare chested with your little shorts on as well no doubt.
Embarrassing.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Brits are very stoic by nature so they will endure these temps while drinking their tea on a fox hunt whilst wearing topcoats and tails.

It's top hats and tails not topcoat,but as always you know everything.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I guess 7 degrees latitude and 84.4 degrees longitude and perhaps the 1000 ft elevation makes a difference?

All I know is I spent a week in Philadelphia during a summer heat wave it was miserable, and since it was Philly we were already miserable going, even at 2 in the morning, it was like the heat just hovered and never had a chance to dissipate. All I can compare it to is downtown Atlanta which Ive lived and worked my whole life, it's brutal no doubt, but Philly seemed suffocating compared to even Atlanta's worst days.

Obviously, London England is north, but damn I didn't think it was Canada north. Including the high-pressure London isn't getting the rain either

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: glen200376

originally posted by: ScepticScot
Taps aff weather even up here.

Not here it ain't at 17 degrees centigrade.
Might have guessed you'd be one of those blokes going about bare chested with your little shorts on as well no doubt.
Embarrassing.

At 17 c any true Scotsman should be getting the budgie smugglers on and filling the kids paddling pool with ice.

Maybe you should move somewhere more pleasant and southerly like Newcastle.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join