It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

England braces for 40C temperatures as experts warn thousands could die

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:36 AM
link   
That sounds brutal, but it is the Guardian, I know we got some Brits here, so are the settings on broil? or not? check on your elderly neighbors, a hot spell in Chicago killed over 500 in 1995, mostly the elderly.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

In 5 days of 40c temperatures, 739 people died in the city, most did not have AC

www.theguardian.com...

Thousands of people could die in the coming heatwave, experts have warned, as the government triggered the first-ever national emergency heat red alert with a record 40C (104F) temperature forecast for southeast England on Tuesday.

Health officials fear people living alone on upper floors of buildings are among those who could perish, as people did in Paris in 2003. Last year two lesser heat episodes caused about 1,600 excess deaths, according to official figures.

The level 4 heat alert announced for Monday and Tuesday by the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) means “illness and death may occur among the fit and healthy, and not just in high-risk groups”.

The Met Office described the forecast heat that is coming from France and Spain as “absolutely unprecedented” and urged people to treat it like a storm warning and consider changing plans.

edit on 16-7-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:52 AM
link   
No way. Many will get sick but few will die of heat exhaustion.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Maybe use those emergency blankets/aluminium foil/ mylar foil in windows, outside to maybe get litle help if dont have AC ?

40 celsius is not nice .

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:57 AM
link   
is this global warming?

I only ask as depending on the event, it can be "climate" or "weather", all depending on how it can be spun.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Yeah it's expected to peak at 43C on Mon and Tues, even the North will be 38 - 40ish.

The UKmedia often run scare stories about the weather but this time it's looking almost certain hence all the upgraded/extended warnings and unprecedented 'threat to life' alerts and I've recieved warnings from water and electricity suppliers.

Already know of quite a few elderly/vulnerable people who've been hospitalised due to breathing problems/heart issues with the heat earlier in the week and it was taking 24-36hrs hours to be allocated a hospital bed.

It's going to be a nasty one.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:08 AM
link   
The thing is, because its unusual for temperatures to get so high most houses don't have air conditioning.
Air Con in many office buildings aren't designed to work in such conditions or are in a poor state of repair.

And then we have the age old tradition of taking advantage of such nice weather and spending all afternoon outside in the pub beer garden - not as if we need much of an excuse to go to the pub!

Mad dogs and Englishmen!

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Taps aff weather even up here.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:12 AM
link   

edit on 16-7-2022 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I hope someone reminds people to watch for pets in this weather. Don't leave them in a car alone - not even for a brief minute in this weather. Same with leaving them in a hot house while they work.

You think it's common sense but it's amazing how many people do it.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

It's like right now it says 76 F degrees a 1:00 PM? I know it's what you get used to and what you are prepared for but 76 degrees is mild here, even the humidity is low?

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.

It's like right now it says 76 F degrees a 1:00 PM? I know it's what you get used to and what you are prepared for but 76 degrees is mild here, even the humidity is low?

The hot weather is on Monday and Tuesday - today (Saturday) is just a normal summer's day (though frankly still a bit too hot for me!)

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Okay, thanks, I apologize I should post before I have coffee, that's a huge increase in just 2 days..

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
I hope someone reminds people to watch for pets in this weather. Don't leave them in a car alone - not even for a brief minute in this weather. Same with leaving them in a hot house while they work.

Sadly there's loads of people still out walking their dogs early afternoon on what is obviously partially melted tarmac with no idea black surfaces can get scaldingly hot as it's so rare in the UK we only associate it (and the need for suncream) withbeing on holiday.

Any tips for keeping cats comfortable? Have plenty of cold water in her bowls and shady/cool quiet space to rest but never had to consider keeping one cool before. I only just remembered to put water bowls/baths out for local birds today.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2

Definitely check your pets, even outdoors make sure they got plenty of water

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Brits are very stoic by nature so they will endure these temps while drinking their tea on a fox hunt whilst wearing topcoats and tails.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thanks for the thread, much needed reminder to think of the elderly we know 👍🏻

As the other posted said, our 5hitty media are always using scare tactics about the weather.

I'm really hoping we don't have a 'boy that cried wolf' scenario with the elderly next week 🙏🏻

Stay in touch with your elderly and animals.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Brits are very stoic by nature so they will endure these temps while drinking their tea on a fox hunt whilst wearing topcoats and tails.

That's English not Brits.

I will be drinking irn-bru on haggis hunt whilst wearing a skirt with no underwear.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 08:22 AM
link   

I think people need to keep an eye on the humidity.

High heat, low humidity is bearable; it's the high heat and high humidity that's the killer.

Stay hydrated!

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Stay hydrated, cold baths. don't go out in the sun, hide in the fridge like Boris. it'll be all over by Wednesday.

posted on Jul, 16 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: bastion

If your cat is indoor/outdoor, which I'm told most cats are in the UK, then they should be ok. Cats naturally like hot weather, they're from the jungle. As long as they have fresh water and access to shade, healthy cats will survive. Tall grass or a brush/flowers with soft leaves are good. They problem is when they are locked inside. In that case, at least allow access to a cool basement or cellar.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join