It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Biden faces deadline in U.S. railroad labor standoff

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The American railroad industry is already plagued by disruptions stemming from self-inflicted staffing shortages that have crimped fertilizer shipments, caused backups at major U.S. seaports and stopped feed from reaching Foster Farms' chickens in California. read more Graphic: tmsnrt.rs...

www.reuters.com...

An already struggling economy could be about to take another hit if this strike happens. The Railroad companies seem to want this to happen. Maybe one reason is that they think it will make it easier for them to get one man crews, which the union is strongly against. There are other issues such as pay, of course. But also the Hi-Viz attendance policy has many of the railroaders upset.

Supporting article:

Draconian attendance policies were implemented, forcing engineers and conductors to work day in and day out with no scheduled time off or be fired.

BLET Strike Vote: The rest of the story

Another supporting article:

"Railroads “used and continue to use their economic strength to steamroll their employees, their customers and the nation, all for the sake of their bottom line, and it is clear that they have no intentions of changing,” said Pierce, who also asserted that in the third year of the national contract negotiation process, “the rail carriers have never made a contract proposal to our union that their employees, our members, would accept.”"

BLET votes overwhelmingly to authorize national strike

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 12:49 PM
link   
My brother in law is a railroad guy. The short staffing those bastards have been pulling over the last couple of decades is almost criminal and I am surprised that the USA rail industry hasn't ground to a halt already.

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 03:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: greendust
My brother in law is a railroad guy. The short staffing those bastards have been pulling over the last couple of decades is almost criminal and I am surprised that the USA rail industry hasn't ground to a halt already.

Nothing good about short staffing a vital national industry especially in these economic times

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Another case for automation being made in real time.

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Maybe some of the rail staffing shortages can make their way to the Accela runs between Boston and D.C.

If those trains were to become more sparse, or start to incur delays/cancellations, the REEEEEE and howling (of those whose net worth make their voices hard to ignore) might spur some movement on this gridlock.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I imagine this would be easy to accomplish for a train too. The new T80083 Locomotive.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Blueracer
WHY AREN'T MORE PEOPLE DISCUSSING THIS? If this happens there will be chaos. I messaged a buddy and he pretty much confirmed it's going to happen unless the government does something, but why would they?

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Crackalackin

It would be easy to accomplish if things were smooth sailing along the lines. If its automated how would you account for the different weather, animals on the tracks, people on the tracks or cars. What about an emergency situation? I don't think you can ever go 100% automated. Let alone all the sensors you would need to maintain along the line in some pretty remote conditions.

I work in the industry as a sub contractor and listening to the railroad guys the under staffing has been going on for a long time. I know recently, long time good employees have just walked off the job for other opportunities. I know the engineers are burnt out because they get off a train start driving home and get called back to drive. Or they get home crawl in bed go to sleep and get woken up a few hours later telling them they need to be bac in the yard in an hour to drive again. Don't even get them started on the attendance policy that is where a lot of guys are really pissed.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Yay railway workers.

There should be more strikes I reckon.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Charliebrowndog
Artificial intelligence. We have these tuggers that pull trailers with parts and stuff around the plant. We have some autonomous ones that drive themselves. I do agree though nothing will ever be 100 percent.

edit on CThu, 14 Jul 2022 15:17:37 -0500pm2022-07-14T15:17:37-05:00kpmThursdaypm2022-07-14T15:17:37-05:00k by Crackalackin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Crackalackin

Not sure how widely it is being reported. People might not know or just do not care. Biden says he is pro union but if he does nothing, it may be because he wants the strike to happen. It is all about the dollar for the RR companies...ALL companies. They talk about how great they are to their employees but that is a load of bull.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Another example success of those powerful sanctions agaisnt Russia and C19 mandates..

self-inflicted staffing shortages that have crimped fertilizer shipments

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

I wouldn't trust automation..

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
The Railroad companies would love that. I cannot blame the rank and file for striking, if it comes to that. Railroad companies are some of the worst companies to work for. These are the 17 worst companies to work for in America Three of the top 5 worst companies to work for are Railroad companies. Union Pacific and Norfolk Southern being the two worst. What else are the workers supposed to do?

edit on 7/14/2022 by Blueracer because: Typo

posted on Jul, 18 2022 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Biden ends the threat of a strike, which is the union's biggest power. He says he supports unions but this move undermines them in my opinion.

Following appeal by unions, Biden announces Emergency Board, blocking nationwide railroad strike

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 01:26 AM
link   
Apparently all sides are still unable to come to an agreement. Strike could start this Friday.

America is already feeling the consequences of a looming nationwide rail strike

Effects of a potential strike are already being felt:

America’s freight railroads have already stopped accepting shipments of hazardous and other security-sensitive materials because of the looming threat of a strike Friday.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   
The major issue is closing coal down and the loss of income from transporting it. Coal trains are a huge money maker and they cover MOW expenses a lot of times. Amtrak is just an annoyance around here. Not dependable enough to think about using.

posted on Sep, 13 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I started a thread similar to this a few days ago, except I focused on the rail companies placing embargoes on shippers and, as of today, blocking many from shipping at all. It isn't the railroad workers threat to strike that is stopping the shipments, it is the rail companies refusing to take them. They are trying to force government intervention which almost surely side with the rail companies over the railroad employees.

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 09:16 PM
link   
There has been government intervention, in the past, to keep the RR from shutting down. I imagine they will do so again. A little over 24 hours to go before a strike and/or lockouts happen.

Over the years, Congress has intervened several times to delay strikes and sometimes even impose terms on railroad workers. President Harry Truman threatened to have the Army run the railroads in 1950 during the Korean War. In the 1960s, President Johnson imposed a longer no-strike period on rail workers. President Barack Obama delayed a threatened strike in 2011.

The Right to Strike Is at Stake on the Railroads

posted on Sep, 14 2022 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hmmm Trucker shortage
High disel prices that causes issues with delivering food and goods
High diesel prices causing issues with farming and ranching
100s of plants burned down since the first of the year that process food
Push to go COMPELTELY gas free which will take out semi trucks delivering food and goods

and NOW perhaps a shut down on the rails?

Anyone else putting the pieces together here?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join