It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Before We Were Smart We Were Wise

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   
“Don’t worry, mom, I’ll be careful,” she smiled for the Nikon, then hopped on her bike; already off, her hair streaming behind her, straining toward an unknown future.
Up the hill and a sharp right to the path and soon she was obscured by the thicket. Left would have taken her to Maya’s house but today she just wanted to listen. She didn’t want to talk for nothing.
Around her the air was cool and humid. Leaves and branches rushed by; under the wheels of her bike the earth rustled and crunched; shade and sun took turns playing with her; in short it was one of those blessed, forever summer days.
When she got to the spot she hopped off her bike and scrambled down the bank to the stream. Darting minnows and frothy bubbles encircled her now bare feet. Everything rushing, pulling. She cupped her hands and scooped a minnow which tickled her palms. She giggled with the brook. Let the fishie go.
Must have been some time later when she pulled herself free of the creek and up to her waiting bike and the cookies and Capri Sun. She shared crumbs with a few stray ants as she ate. One took too much license by crawling on her leg and she brushed it away. A jay hopped from perch to perch and the brook skipped on.
She felt the power of youth; infinite, becoming.
“Gram?” a voice floated down through the trees, “you okay?”
She shook her head lightly and came back into her armchair; her curly haired look-alike granddaughter snuggled into her side and an old photo clutched into her aged hands.
“You kids ought to leave those screens behind and get out more,” she sighed, knowing full well how ancient that made her sound and how such statements were received.
The old lady and the little girl stared out the window, together, thinking very different thoughts, while beyond the pane the smart city that covered all but the forbidden nature reserves glittered sharply. The unblinking eye of a drone stared back.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 04:44 PM
link   
A great little tale. Think I'll go out and try our new paddle board on the calm sea this afternoon. Got it at Sam's Club the other day.

Nothing beats a nice summer day in nature, enjoying life.

ETA:

Beautiful day.
edit on 12-7-2022 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

That was so very powerful, Z. Being well into my golden years, I also found it a bit unsettling; it describes the emotions I have been experiencing perfectly.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 04:49 PM
link   
What a lovely view; thank you for that!

originally posted by: randomuser

Nothing beats a nice summer day in nature, enjoying life.

No, nothing really beats that feeling, does it?
Thanks for reading, and enjoy that lovely day! Think I'll follow your lead and head to the foothills for a late afternoon/sunset picnic.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Have fun. Enjoyed your writing style and the lovely pictures they drew in my mind, so thank you for that.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Thanks for reading and for the comment, nugget

I don't know how I can feel wistful for something that isn't gone (yet), but I do.

I hope we don't let the grid take over.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Loved it Zos !

So many possibilities !

So many ways to interpret.
We could have 50 people in here, that have a different interpretation.

Why only 50 ?
Because infinite sounds like too much ... LoL !!

No individual borg dreams of separating from The-Borg™.
Or so we are told ...

And yet : there is still dreaming ...

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Lovely story, you paint a vivid picture with your words. Very poignant as well, in my opinion.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Fantastic narration. zosimov! You really pulled me into that world; you evoked so many familiar and comforting memories. The ending is saddening, especially considering it isn't fiction... or at least we're close to your scenario becoming the norm.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Wow? Excellent.

posted on Jul, 12 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Many thanks to friends who read and responded. I'm happy you enjoyed the read, and it felt good to write, like something which had to be aired.

originally posted by: randomuser

Beautiful day.

Beautiful evening, too

Glad your comment inspired a cool trip!

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Gorgeous! What a wonderful evening. Here is a pic from a sunset last week. Had a wonderful walk with my wife on the beach and thought this was just so gorgeous.

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: randomuser

Such a beautiful world.
I love that picture--look how the sun gleams off the water close to the shore.
Thanks for posting and hope you enjoy another lovely summer day!

posted on Jul, 13 2022 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Enjoyed reading your latest.

"The unblinking eye of a drone stared back." That to me made my heart skip a beat... and wanting to learn and hear more.

Johnny

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 04:26 AM
link   

That's a superb picture, randomuser! Composition, exposure, etc., just perfect.

If I show my wife she'll go gaga and will probably want to use it as her Twitter banner or in some meme. I used to do a lot of photography (35mm Nikon F90x), funky filters, multiple exposures, etc., but she's exhausted all my pictures.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Encia22

That's a superb picture, randomuser! Composition, exposure, etc., just perfect.

If I show my wife she'll go gaga and will probably want to use it as her Twitter banner or in some meme. I used to do a lot of photography (35mm Nikon F90x), funky filters, multiple exposures, etc., but she's exhausted all my pictures.

I was just the observer taking a picture, and at that on my IPad. God deserves all the credit for the artistry involved, and the software on the IPad for getting the composition and exposure good. But thanks for the compliment. I have a few more I want to share now. I uploaded them for you. Do whatever you want with them. I hope the OP doesn't mind.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Oooh, thanks a bunch! They are all beautiful; my wife will be chuffed!

I think that in photography, whatever the equipment used, the picture is formed in the eye of the beholder even before picking up a camera. Those moments in time would have never been captured if you hadn't been observant and moved by what you were witnessing. Also, the composition is all on the photographer, and your stills demonstrate a natural eye for framing the shot just right. It's a question of balance, the "golden ratio" is often applied scientifically to photography and painting, but to have that talent innate is a wonderful gift... which I believe you possess.

In the end, they compliment zosimov's story... win, win for everyone.

edit on 14/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:34 PM
link   

When in doubt, please always feel free to post beautiful images/words/ideas in my threads!!

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JohnnyAnonymous

Thanks for reading, Johnny, and it was great to hear that last line had such a shocking effect. I did not know where the story was going when I set out to write it
but that dystopic, no privacy lack of connection type society has been something I've wanted to write about for awhile.

Might even expand on the idea.

Thank you for supporting and encouraging ats's creative corner. I've gained so much from this forum here.

Have a good week/weekend!

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   
My dad's friend is a nature photographer and as soon as I saw this one today I knew I had to share it here:

Dave Irey Diamond Beach
edit on 15-7-2022 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join