It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did your school do lockdowns PRIOR to Columbine due to other school shootings?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Did others like Jonesboro,Moses Lake,etc made your schools react sooner?

If not how far after Columbine? Are there schools that don't do lockdown drills these days? Just curious if there is some backwater school system that is behind the times? Ours have always done it once a semester mainly due to Kip Kinkle. I read on newspapers.com a lot of schools started in 1995 onwards from Moses Lake school shooting implementing lockdown drills. A lot of people think Columbine caused them.

On a bonus note what does a lockOUT drill do differently? When a school goes into a lockout instead of a lockdown.
edit on 2-7-2022 by SortingHat because: A lot of people think Columbine caused them.

edit on 2-7-2022 by SortingHat because: Other school shootings?

edit on 2-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I grew up in the hood in Chicago, 22 nd street. Then went to high school in the hood ..St. Rita High School. Never had a lockdown drill, active shooter drill. Nothing. I graduated high school in early 1990’s. All of that stuff you are asking about happened after Columbine. I guess it took white kids being shot and killed in a school. Brown and black kids got shot all the time in my neighborhood and the areas surrounding the schools I went too. And nobody gave a # except those of us that lived in the neighborhood.
a reply to: SortingHat

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:21 PM
link   
a reply to: TacoLoco75
Familiar with La Justicia, grocery? When I moved to Chicago in 87 I stayed with the family that ran it, think the eldest son opened a restaurant by the same name.

I remember having to change my shirt walking on 18th…wrong color.

OP- I attended school in the country, we brought guns and traps to school and wore Buck knives on our belts in the 4th grade. We had nuke, tornado and fire drills.

Military Academy, we drilled, but not active shooters🤷 That was 1985

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   

I graduated a few years before Columbine. Personally, I don't recall ever hearing about any school shooting before that 1.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Shooters?
They made us afraid of nukes when i was in school.
Don't look out the window when the flash comes and duck and cover.
Hide under your desk (mandatory drill) which I hated because the floor was always dirty and mom got on me for dirty pants when I got home.
We had to recite the pledge of allegiance too.
I heard some prayers during pep rallies as well.
Scary stuff.

edit on 2-7-2022 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

I don't think you read my thread all the way. I said there were others before Columbine. I think either Jonesboro or Moses Lake started the trend but several clustered together. Neither one of the events were big itself as Columbine. Kip Kinkle was the biggest I believe.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:35 PM
link   

edit on Sat Jul 2 2022 by Jbird because: spam

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

Is this the kind of crap your talking about? www.genealogybank.com... ?h=3&fname=&mname=&lname=&kwinc=Lockdown%20Drills&kwexc=&rgfromDate=01/01/1993&rgtoDate=01/01/1995&formDate=&formDateFlex=exact&dateType=range&process ingtime=&addedFrom=&addedTo=&sid=umrqzffidxohhcxlxcdqxvnriuwxmquq_wma-gateway001_1656822783872

Does the link work for you? If not then use this password donated by Janet to the library: marshfieldvt.gov... login with the provided password then copy and paste the article address once logged in. I think up to the ? would net the article.

I have the PFD of the article but no way to upload it here.
edit on 2-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:50 PM
link   

We haven't had ANY school shootings in New Zealand, nor in Australia, that I can recall.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: TacoLoco75
I grew up in the hood in Chicago, 22 nd street. Then went to high school in the hood ..St. Rita High School. Never had a lockdown drill, active shooter drill. Nothing. I graduated high school in early 1990’s. All of that stuff you are asking about happened after Columbine. I guess it took white kids being shot and killed in a school. Brown and black kids got shot all the time in my neighborhood and the areas surrounding the schools I went too. And nobody gave a # except those of us that lived in the neighborhood.

Who were they mostly shot by, dude? Black neighbourhoods are only as violent as the people who live in them. Clean up your own back yard. The measure you use is the measure used.

Regarding lockdowns, they were a response to a new kind of homeland terrorism of going into schools to shoot children up to get back at society and the government. They were a strategy that had to be deployed because the people have become so violent and hating of their own society and values. Quite monstrous really. We get to sleep in the bed we make for ourselves every time.

Please do not blame others for what your own people are doing. We all know where the worst crime areas are and who lives there. We all know who kills the most black people. It is not the cops or other race identifying people.

edit on 3-7-2022 by Tarantula777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Prior to columbine schools here didn't even consider that someone might shoot up a school.

We didn't even do duck and cover.

Everything was a fire evacuation or nothing.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 01:25 AM
link   

No I read it all. That's why I used the word "personally'. I just meant that the whole time I was in school, I had never even heard about any school shooting, thus we did not have any sort of school shooter drills. I graduated in '94. Tornado and fire drills were all we ever had.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 01:35 AM
link   

I never had a shooting drill in the 90s while in high school; not sure why we never did. A smaller town, I guess?

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:06 AM
link   
On Newspapers.com I saw some articles about schools practicing a new kind of 'drill' where kids have to hide from armed intruders back in 1995 due to Moses Lake incident but it may have just been WA schools as the article said 'Schools all over WA and the PNW are having a new kind of drill never before seen that is our new kind of fire drill but instead of evacuating......

They were calling this the 'new' reality for most students as more and more schools are adapting it. Fresno also adapting tough security and lockdown measures by the school year 1995-1996 locking most doors externally and some schools in big cities were locking classroom doors by them at ALL times class is present.
edit on 3-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Fresno did back in 1996 they adapted some tough on crime policies and locked all exterior doors and had armed police show a regular presence. They also taught kids to hide under their desk when the lockdown chime sounds as the teacher is instructed to lock the door when the alarm sounds to mean an intruder is in. A picture showed officers searching the halls with weapons during a practice alarm.
edit on 3-7-2022 by SortingHat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Those evil evil satanic prayers to God. I feel sorry for you. Wah wah. Here's some free tears. 😭😭😭. Go cry at night thinking of all those children mercilessly tortured at hearing the positive word of the lord and feeling his presence throughout the school day. (those who take him with conviction will understand best). Who knows what those kids will do when they come of age purposely not associating with violent stuff. Weird huh?

Some might even become a (gasp) pastor for their church and try to clean up their local community or work more with their community instead of playing violent video games in Mom's dark basement all night! Scary stuff right there! I can't even bear to watch!!!!

Here's a positively racist song from Baloo The Bear just for you!
Just look for those Bear Necessities in life and they'll come to you!
edit on 3-7-2022 by SortingHat because: Weird huh?

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

What exactly is the fascination with the incessant Australia vs America comparisons??

America and Australia are ENTIRELY two different 'planets'.

Australians live around the rim of a country where just about every living thing wants, or can kill you and the rest of it's geography is practically uninhabitable.

THEN under such circumstances the government decides to disarm the country, and the descendents of it's prison colony allowed it to happen....????🤷🏾‍♂️

What happened? Did they burn all the books and hang the history majors???

Nope. The citizens LET themselves be neutered.

Australians are PATHETIC and pitiful in this regard. They're completely under the boot of their government, and its obvious most are fine with that.

As Americans, with all the taxpayer funded aid or whatever the fk we provide around the world, we could give two 💩's about some overly self-righteous dust bin in the south Pacific where the citizens are subservient to their government by CHOICE and now by FORCE.

So sick of hearing about the virtues of Australia. 🙄
edit on 7/3/2022 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Hypntick

Did you have cameras in your school or other security measures so they probably felt it wasn't necessary to do so? I also read in the 90s cameras were being more and more used in school security systems which by Columbine it was pretty much cemented in.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Just an unarmed school officer, that's it: no metal detectors, no cameras, no badges. Like I said small town in FL, we didn't really have anyone that would have been of concern as far as I know.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 05:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Asktheanimals
Shooters?
They made us afraid of nukes when i was in school.
Don't look out the window when the flash comes and duck and cover.
Hide under your desk (mandatory drill) which I hated because the floor was always dirty and mom got on me for dirty pants when I got home.
We had to recite the pledge of allegiance too.
I heard some prayers during pep rallies as well.
Scary stuff.

I was on the other end of that, we were afraid that you would start throwing nukes around and kill us all.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join