It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Which form do I need? If I die , what happens to my minor child (single parent)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Hi all.

I thought I'd ask here as many here know so much

So, my son will be moving in with me again soon . His father lives in Europe.
I live in the US. I heard that if a parent of a minor dies , that custody would automatically go the other parent, but in this case as his father lives in Europe , I worry the state would get involved.

Does anyone know which document I need to fill out and possibly get notarized to prevent state invention?
I would want to add to this document that my mom and/or brother could take care of my son, till his father manages to get here.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight
Getting professional legal advice is a good idea.
Does your present custody follow on from a divorce or other legal settlement? If so, I would have thought a court would have to be involved in any change.
If the present circumstances are just a private arrangement, perhaps less so.

edit on 2-7-2022 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

No, there's no courts involved. My son's father(ex) and I are good friends. He was in Europe as I thought that was better for him, and now he's coming here so I can start homeschooling him.

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Go to www.Avvo.com. You can post questions and have attorneys answer for free. a reply to: ancientlight

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SgtEsquire
Go to www.Avvo.com. You can post questions and have attorneys answer for free. a reply to: ancientlight

Oke thanks

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   

You may have access to legal services if you have access to an Employee and Family Assistance program or extended benefits through your employer.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 06:26 AM
link   

There are various organisations that offer advice on how to get a free legal consultation here in the UK.
I am sure there must be similar things in the US.
A simple internet search should throw up some options.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
What's wrong with the father getting custody of his child after the other parent dies? He has first say after all. Doesn't matter if he is in a different state or country.

Is he abusive? Is he shown to be dangerous to the child?

I think he should get first say what happens to his child if you were to die. I don't think any court would give custody to grandparents and so on just because you say so. When my bio father lost custody due to his crime. My mother was automatically considered but she declined to take us in. I ended up with my grandparents.

I'm not a lawyer or anything but i don't think it will work out as father is considered next of kin. I think the court won't give custody if he proven to be dangerous or abusive to the child.
edit on 3-7-2022 by CaptainHook because: updated

new topics

top topics

join