It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Praying Football Coach

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I will start this thread by stating that Im a practitioner of many ancient & mystical ways that require faith & knowledge. I was in the Eastern Orthodox Church for many years , but over 8 years ago I quit all religion due to control issues & lies of infallible church laws.

Now with that aside , this question is for Christians of all faiths that adhere to the standard Judaeo Christian bible .

The question is about Coach Joseph Kennedy a high school football coach in the Bremerton School District in Washington State .

Can any bible reading Christian explain how this self proclaimed Christian gets around the teachings of Jesus on prayer in public ?

Matthew 6: 5-8 Jesus taught : “ When you pray , do not be like the hypocrites , for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men .. but when you pray , go into your room , close the door and pray to your father who is unseen “

This is a direct teaching in the first gospel by Matthew & is considered the oldest gospel , so what does this coach think he is doing ?
I believe I know what the coach is up to & it’s political & attention seeking by a fool .

The SCOTUS got this one wrong & just exposed the agenda oh hypocritical alt-right evangelicals .

People like Coach Joseph Kennedy are what is wrong with Christian religious types as a whole & not all. I personally don’t care what people want to do on public property as long as it’s not distasteful, violent or riot causing.
Joseph was not exercising his right’s , he was being political & hiding behind his faith imo .

What do you Christians or others think ?

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: MeatHookReality

James 4:12
Verse Concepts
There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?

Source: bible.knowing-jesus.com...

link   

It was perfectly legal, in my opinion, for this religiously flamboyant jackass to do what he did.

edit on 28-6-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: Networkdude has no beer

link   

Jesus did not teach against public prayer as a general act. Jesus prayed publicly. The primitive church practiced public prayer. The issue being addressed in that passage was not simply praying publicly.

The key concept in the passage is, "do not be like the hypocrites , for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men.

If any form of prayer in public were mandated against, then much of the prayer recorded in the Bible (including the prayers that Jesus prayed) would be morally wrong. It's not. We are exhorted in the Bible to pray together, to pray publicly. When we do, however, we are individually and corporately responsible for guarding our hearts and checking our attitudes and motives, that we are not doing so as a public spectacle "to be seen by men."

Context is key, and understanding and considering what is called in the Bible "the whole counsel of God" is critical. Much error results from people doing exactly what you've done here; filtering out parts of passages and concepts and ignoring their context. Don't do that!

You say that "People like Coach Joseph Kennedy are what is wrong with Christian religious types." How well do you know Coach Joseph Kennedy? How much time have your spent on close contact with him, learning of his character, discerning his motivation through personal interaction? My guess is that you do not know him and have never sat down with him over a cup of coffee to have a serious, personal conversation.

How do you see yourself especially fit to pass judgement on a man you have never met, never spoken to? You think you have the moral superiority to proclaim that a man you do not know is "what is wrong?" Maybe people with an angry, judgmental attitude like you are what's wrong.
:
edit on 2022 6 28 by incoserv because: I could.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

It was perfectly legal, in my opinion, for this religiously flamboyant jackass to do what he did.

It is whatever, there isn't a crime here, and as you know, doing good things isn't something you need to prove to others, but I just can't understand what the opposition would be, other than your point. He isn't hurting anyone, he didn't force anyone, and he has the right to pray if that's what he wants to do. Crying about it just seems to be social justice warriors looking for a reason to have a sandy vajayjay.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Ok , putting an end to this ......

"For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them. "

Matthew 18:20

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   

That's because you know nothing of the subject in the OP

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
That's because you know nothing of the subject in the OP

I know this guy is the Christian version of a Kardashian. He wants attention.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
...other than your point.

Well, that is my point. Just because you can do something doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

I support his right to be an in your face religious twit, I just don't agree with his conduct.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Kennedy committed blasphemy when he took a knee for anything other than blm. He should be punished by a crazed mob, imo.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 10:43 AM
link   
SCOTUS: Rules.
ATS: They got it wrong!
LOL!

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   

...other than your point.

Well, that is my point. Just because you can do something doesn't make it the smart thing to do.

I support his right to be an in your face religious twit, I just don't agree with his conduct.

you would have a difficult time going to any sporting event in the south. But to your point, he has the right to do it, you have the right to not like it, and he has the right to not give a rats ass what you think. So in the end, everyone is happy.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   

James 4:12
Verse Concepts
There is only one Lawgiver and Judge, the One who is able to save and to destroy; but who are you who judge your neighbor?

Source: bible.knowing-jesus.com...
Im not a Christian . Further more , the Coach is a self identified Christian who obviously has never read the book of Matthew .
Your bible verse of “ who are we to judge “ only applies to those who believe that book to be infallible & divine by god’s direction.
It would be the same as me convicting you of a violation according to Chinese laws .. , unless you live under a law , it does not pertain to you .
I want you to think before you go on the attack .

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Yes I agree with you as I stated Im for peoples that want to exercise their constitutional rights on public property.
My issue is that the coach is making a spectacle out of it for political issues while going against his proclaim teacher & God who clearly states in Matthew not to pray the way that bozo did in the middle of the field .
My question was not about his action , but his hypocrisy of his faith & it’s tenants .

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Yes I agree with you as I stated Im for peoples that want to exercise their constitutional rights on public property.
My issue is that the coach is making a spectacle out of it for political issues while going against his proclaimed teacher & God who clearly states in Matthew not to pray the way that bozo did in the middle of the field .
My question was not about his action , but his hypocrisy of his faith & it’s tenants of his actions.

edit on 28-6-2022 by MeatHookReality because: ed

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:21 AM
link   

you would have a difficult time going to any sporting event in the south.

Not really, all the Yankees/Braves games I've seen in Atlanta had the home team getting smoked.

But to your point, he has the right to do it, you have the right to not like it, and he has the right to not give a rats ass what you think. So in the end, everyone is happy.

Well, not everyone. There's people who don't like the decision. I just don't like him.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MeatHookReality
My issue is that the coach is making a spectacle out of it for political issues while going against his proclaim teacher & God who clearly states in Matthew not to pray the way that bozo did in the middle of the field .

His jackassery is not against the Constitution since the Constitution is not about what is socially acceptable behavior. He can make his very public obsequies to Jesus and that's his silliness that he has to deal with.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv

Jesus did not teach against public prayer as a general act. Jesus prayed publicly. The primitive church practiced public prayer. The issue being addressed in that passage was not simply praying publicly.

The key concept in the passage is, "do not be like the hypocrites , for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men.

If any form of prayer in public were mandated against, then much of the prayer recorded in the Bible (including the prayers that Jesus prayed) would be morally wrong. It's not. We are exhorted in the Bible to pray together, to pray publicly. When we do, however, we are individually and corporately responsible for guarding our hearts and checking our attitudes and motives, that we are not doing so as a public spectacle "to be seen by men."

Context is key, and understanding and considering what is called in the Bible "the whole counsel of God" is critical. Much error results from people doing exactly what you've done here; filtering out parts of passages and concepts and ignoring their context. Don't do that!

You say that "People like Coach Joseph Kennedy are what is wrong with Christian religious types." How well do you know Coach Joseph Kennedy? How much time have your spent on close contact with him, learning of his character, discerning his motivation through personal interaction? My guess is that you do not know him and have never sat down with him over a cup of coffee to have a serious, personal conversation.

How do you see yourself especially fit to pass judgement on a man you have never met, never spoken to? You think you have the moral superiority to proclaim that a man you do not know is "what is wrong?" Maybe people with an angry, judgmental attitude like you are what's wrong.
:
Your response is all psychobabble . In Matthew it is very clear how Jesus said to pray & praying in public via silence minus the theatrics is very different from the coaches mechanics , and once again extremely different from the oldest gospel of Matthew & Jesus’s teachings.
I studied Patristics for over 25 years & nothing you just rambled on about is supported by the ancient church fathers .
The actions of the coach are modern by only 80 years bound in neo-evangelicalism in the USA , 25% of this Country is self identified as some sort of evangelical.
The evangelicals of America are totally lost on their biblical history & bible formation for the vast majority of them . Sola Scriptura is the evangelical problem .
If your going to play Christian, then why not do the way the closest to Jesus did it ?
Instead all evangelicals jump from idea & convictions monthly with no structure, but what feels good .

You just tried using one scripture to defeat another scripture..??? You evangelical always stammer around your scriptures denying one when it does not fit today’s narrative, and championing the same scripture when it suits your argument.
Very boring & predictable response.
Im not like you nor care what you believe.. just be consistent ok ?

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:48 AM
link   

The whole thread is not about right or wrong .. I support the coaches right , but the coach can’t even follow Jesus’s very easy to understand rules on public prayer & thus he was making it a political theater .
Why did the coach even tell anyone that he was praying in the middle of the field , because he wanted the drama is why .
The man could have just kneeled in the field after games , and when asked what he was doing he could have easily said “ it’s a personal thing “
But no no no that is not what gets you to evangelical heaven .. lmao lol The coach had to bear his cross & toil under repression to convict an evil world that god lives through a 50 yrd line coach ???
GTFOH with that noise .
The coach is a fool & understands little of what Jesus taught, but Im sure he got extra homemade cookies after church on sunday for being god’s little warrior.
What a joke .

It is whatever, there isn't a crime here, and as you know, doing good things isn't something you need to prove to others, but I just can't understand what the opposition would be, other than your point. He isn't hurting anyone, he didn't force anyone, and he has the right to pray if that's what he wants to do. Crying about it just seems to be social justice warriors looking for a reason to have a sandy vajayjay.

posted on Jun, 28 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: MeatHookReality

His jackassery is not against the Constitution since the Constitution is not about what is socially acceptable behavior. He can make his very public obsequies to Jesus and that's his silliness that he has to deal with.
Agreed 100%

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join