It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dante's Infernal Machine - SN2022

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Despairing to quench an infernal thirst, most peculiarly, a DANTE vending machine materialised on the roadside.

Inside, rows of sparkling and still bottled water. However, the central section only contained three large glass jars, adorned with intricately bordered labels. From left to right they read:
“INFERNO” “PURGATORIO” “PARADISO”.
In each, bizarre animated scenes.

I tapped in #22 for a bottle… THUD! I pushed the metal flap, reaching inside the dispensing area. Unbelievably, something forcefully clenched my wrist; I became plasma and was drawn into the machine. From inside the “PURGATORIO” jar, I contemplated my life… alas, my thirst still unquenched.

The END

edit on 26/6/2022 by Encia22 because: Title tweak

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Neat images.

"Welcome to Purgatory, Boy!"

Cheers

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

Cheers, F2d5thCavv2!

I already had the story ready a few days ago, but only had time today to put together the artwork... it's very rough, but ok to compliment the story.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 12:30 PM
link   

This feels hauntingly like Dreams I have had .

I like it very much , good job.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Thanks for your story.

Good Luck in the Contest!
Johnny

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Purgatorio, what a concept. A good place for contemplation. It's either that and moving up or not and slipping down.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Thanks kindly, asabuvsobelow!

I think Dante really tapped into the psyche and explored all our most buried fears and anxieties. I humbly tried to recreate some of his philosophies.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Yes, exactly, Terry. I like to think that Purgatory is actually the real world we live in. At least it feels like it to me.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Purgatory? This world? Could be. If so then I suppose that the notion of purgatory could be re-defined. Do you know if that has even been a consideration among older Christian philosophers, that purgatory is not somewhere else but rather this IS that realm?

I know that some like to glibly say that this place here is Hell but I think not. To much goodness and beauty. Though I do not believe in Hell my assumption is that there would be no beauty or goodness as those souls there would be beyond redemption.

In the scenario that you propose I consider that Purgatory isn't such a bad place due to the ability to examine ones self and sistuation for growth.

posted on Jun, 26 2022 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I honestly don't know if it is a notion that's been considered. I don't tend to read much about esoteric stuff, unless it relates to tech in some way.

I've yet to read the whole of the Devine Comedy, it's a long slog and I've read it in Italian, which makes me trying to bring an interpretation in English rather wonky. In any case, I still haven't gotten to Purgatory. Most people jump straight to Inferno, as it's the most entertaining.

I agree that living in the real world can't be hell on earth... there's still too much good.

edit on 26/6/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I would have selected the Paradiso!

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

Cheers, Chris! Yes, good choice. Unfortunately, where we go depends on our comportment in life...

Perhaps we don't go anywhere or maybe we do... who knows? The Machine will choose for us.

edit on 27/6/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 04:30 PM
link   
like Pink Floyd's 'Welcome to the Machine? '

posted on Jun, 27 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: chris_stibrany

That's an interesting observation and connection, Chris!

I love Pink Floyd, but couldn't remember that song... time to refresh my mind's catalog, methinks!

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 10:45 AM
link   

This is so well written; love that last line and the absurdity of it all.

The art is a great addition.

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Very kind of you, zosimov! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The idea came to me a few days ago, waiting for a train, a man was battling with an uncooperative vending machine. Basically it stole his money and he was kicking the sh*t out of it. That's when the final line came to me and I reverse engineered the story to lead to that point.

I had very little time to put together the artwork and it's really rough... still needs much work.

new topics

top topics

join