It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gen Z College Graduates Are Overestimating Their Average Starting Salary by $50K

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2022 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff
a reply to: infolurker

Not only do they expect overly high wages but there is an expectation of training.

After hearing “you didn’t train me for that” when there’s a screwup so many times we now are very specific in the job interview.

“We will train you on company policy and procedure and orient you around the workplace but we are hiring you as an Engineer. The expectation is that you perform as such without being trained to do so.”

It’s more difficult to make an excuse for poor performance after expectations are clear. We never used to have to explain this in the past though.

I wonder what your companies expectations are for a recent graduate in engineering that you don't want to train them and what your experience has been with these new hires. With out examples to bench mark I don't know if I understand where you are coming from. "screwup" is a subjective and can mean a lot of things.

My large electronics company hires new graduates from top colleges regularly and once past the interview process it is very rare that they have personality problems that make them a bad fit for the company. But as an "Engineer" these recent graduates are clearly young and inexperienced and require training... which we gladly provide. We have a robust mentoring program and couple recent graduates with senior engineers and we don't get overly worked up when one of the young engineers screws up. In fact as a functional manager I like to place my young engineers into stech activities and even tell them to spin their wheels a bit on a new problem before asking for help. Thats how they learn and learn to be independent; but it does leave the door open to screwups. Its my job to mitigate that as much as possible. Trust but verify type deal.

It's been my experience that hiring into senior engineering roles that present a problem. It harder to tell if a senior engineer really does understand how to be a senior engineer during the interview process. Anyone can make their resume read good and talk the talk. Then when these people screwup its much more disappointing.

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff

originally posted by: TheUniverse2
a reply to: Xtrozero

Why wouldn't younger people live longer and see better tech than older people? Unless you think their generation is so dumb that they will all die young?

Fair enough but your previous post kinda sounded like what decade someone is born in is a personal achievement.

To me it is like being born rich. It is just luck apparently.

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Doing what you like for a living??

There are worse fates.

posted on Jun, 30 2022 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I remember being told a bunch of times go to school, you will get a good job, and computers were the way to get out mundane back breaking labor and get dirty plenty of times.

Tomorrow was pretty much promised, then there thing they don’t teach you, like Taxes, and Life.

Heck, most Entrepreneurs skipped an dropped out, go figure.
edit on 30-6-2022 by Proto88 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join