It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tree age being scrub'd now the max is 5400 years !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 12:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: OneBigMonkeyToo
a reply to: buddha

Technically, the entire organism might be that old, but that doesn't mean that every component part is, just as it's not likely that any of your body cells are actually the same age as you are.

Thats like saying YOU are 50 years old when you are 62.
using the oldest part of your body!
your teeth that are grown at age 12.

so you are saying every thing is a clone of its self?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Nothin
I love science, but I'm not sure I trust the scientists.
lots of science is in college/university settings, and they are way politicized.
when I hear the term 'settled science' I roll my eyes. true science keeps investigating. how much is truly 'settled'?

thanks Labtech for the stuff about the Jerusalem Date Palm. very interesting.
(GOOD science!)

edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BerkshireEntity

Thanks Berksy.

It's indeed a sort-of collective-grieving we are going-through, as we have awoken the the depth of corruption in our once-proud ( LoL ! ) institutions of education and knowledge.

It's ruined to the point, that critical-thinkers are questioning the validity of all of it, from the top-to-bottom, and beginning-to-end.
From the reason to pursue a certain avenue of interest, to the now severely weakened and handicapped " Peer-Review™ system.

When a dumbass like me, can see the holes in the field : it must be rough for those clinging to some sort of claim of respectability.

We are ruled by Psychopathic-Scammers™, deceiving us with their every word and action.

Somebody didn't get the memo though, as heard an interview on the radio earlier today, with a mycologist, who mentioned that some mycelia are " Estimated™ " to be as old as 80000 to 100000 years-old !

But then again : Fungus-like mycelial fossils in 2.4-billion-year-old vesicular basalt

Am left wondering how long some might have survived the glaciers of the last ice-age, because so much of the earth was just scraped-up and rolled-over, and squished. Must have been some pockets, with less squishing.
Same ideas apply to the survival of some species of trees, through root-systems that survived the crush, in some specific locations, because of local conditions of ' less-squish '.

In case anyone is wondering : " Less-Squish " is not an official Scientific™ term, yet ...

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   

But then again : Fungus-like mycelial fossils in 2.4-billion-year-old vesicular basalt

I'm not quite sure what fossilized stuff has to do with the topic. That fungi may have existed for a very long time does not imply that current fungi are billions of years old any more than "cro-magnon" fossils imply that people live 40,000 years.

Unless they represent an unknown branch of fungus-like organisms, the fossils imply that the fungal clade is considerably older than previously thought, and that fungal origin and early evolution may lie in the oceanic deep biosphere rather than on land.

edit on 6/4/2022 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Funny that the wonder of science, is something most of us seem to feel.
Despite my criticisms : still fell that wonder !! LoL !

Love watching docs/films, despite Attenborough throwing-in " Because of Climate-Change™... " every 5 minutes.

Saw one show about how there was a series of several mountain tropical-rain-forests in the Andes, each with their own clear, and separate different species of flora and fauna, unique to each forest region, as they were separated by unpassable mountain-peaks.
So many of the little froggies, insects, birds, snakes, plants, trees, etc. were different from the next forest over.

Am not a believer in evolution necessarily, but those forests sure make ya wonder... LoL !!

They cut-down one of my fav trees this spring.
It was weird to see the huge stump, of a fallen Grandfather.
If the Linky works : it's the one straight-ahead after la rue Prieur gets cut-off by the park.
Tried to count the rings, but some were pretty small, and the core of the tree was damaged by some rot.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 03:56 PM
link   

In Hawaii we have/had tree snails. Each valley had its own variety with its unique coloration. Micro evolution.
mcsmrampage.com...

Hawaii is the extinction capital of the planet. Yea for us.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Oh !
Hi there Mr. Lithgow !

Just thought it was an interesting tidbit, as some of the ongoing comments in this thread, were discussing the age of various organisms.

The ages of living-things, and consideration of dating-techniques, and possibilities of Revisionism™ were part of the convo.

What are the oldest trees, and/or plants in Hawaii ?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Micro-evolution is a strong argument for evolution.

Extinction sure, happens all-over, right ?
Yet at the same time : a birthplace for supposedly new species as well ...

( Check-out this segue... )

... just like a tree, can also be the birthplace, for a multitude of critters !
( Late-spring up here in the north, doncha-know. )

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 08:28 PM
link   

I wonder what you would find if you could properly core and analyse fossils on all those Former Hawaiian island that are now deep beneath the surface of the Pacific since the plate moved over the thermal plume that powers the formation of the Hawaiian chain.

I would suspect a lot of those species have a significantly longer development history than was surmised before geology caught up and showed those former islands existence, these seamounts some of them rising a great distance form the sea bed may once have been well above the surface of the ocean at a time well before the pressure of the thermal plume pushed the modern islands up and when the plate moved away from the plume they then slowly or perhaps on occasion rather more rapidly sank back down, some of them are so ancient that they have almost entirely sunk back into the sea floor but other's closer to the chain are definitely former islands that perhaps in some instances may have been even bigger than the current islands and likely had lost ecosystems that would be highly interesting if it was possible to study any remnant fossils assuming the surface of the islands was not first eroded completely away if there slow return to the sea was indeed slow rather than rapid enough to preserve some of the former surface landscape.

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

The Hawaiian Islands are not very old, compared to the history of the planet. Not at all.

I do wonder about what the islands were like before anyone was here. For example, there are bones (not actually fossils) of various species of flightless birds which no longer exist. I imagine that the first settlers said something like, "Cool, stupid yummy birds who can't fly. Get 'em!" Eventually the Hawaiians became very ecologically minded though. To the point of eating the wrong critter at the wrong time of year resulted in being clubbed to death.

edit on 6/4/2022 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 08:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: LABTECH767

The Hawaiian Islands are not very old, compared to the history of the planet. Not at all.

I do wonder about what the islands were like before anyone was here. For example, there are bones (not actually fossils) of various species of flightless birds which no longer exist. I imagine that the first settlers said something like, "Cool, stupid yummy birds who can't fly. Get 'em!" Eventually the Hawaiians became very ecologically minded though. To the point of eating the wrong critter at the wrong time of year resulted in being clubbed to death.

with those cool clubs lined with shark teeth?

are sharks still sacred there?

i think if the root system survives for 80,000 yrs,

what we see as trees from it are just like fingernails to us.

your arms and legs stop growing at some point in your life, rite?

posted on Jun, 4 2022 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: sarahvital

with those cool clubs lined with shark teeth?
Probably not, those were war clubs. Slash and bonk as opposed to just bonk.

are sharks still sacred there?
I find the use of the word sacred can be problematic. Some consider mano to be their aumakua, yes, but apart from that sharks are very cool.

Five thousand, eighty thousand...long enough, I think.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join