It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supreme Chaos - SN2022

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

That's a good point, argentus! Maybe I was so put off by my teacher that I find it difficult to detach dialogue from writing correctness... I need to try.

Dutch sounds like a fabulous writer. Any exemplary title that you suggest or will any one do? Did his style change over time?

posted on Jun, 20 2022 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Dutchie started our writing westerns, some of them which were made into movies you might have heard of -- Hombre, 3:10 to Yuma, Valdez is Coming, Last Stand at Saber River. Then he moved on to crime drama with a comedic flair. Other of his books make into movies: Be Cool, Get Shorty, Killshot, Touch, The Big Bounce, The Moonshine War, Freaky Deaky, Stick, Cat Chaser, Jackie Brown, Mr. Majestyk, Out of Sight, and I'm sure a few others I missed.

I couldn't possible choose a favorite. They are all wonderful, and the dialogue flows so seamlessly, just as if you were right. there.

People rarely use proper grammar when speaking. We don't punctuate. We use multi-faceted conjunctions (Whatever that is!) and slang and slurs. I try to put myself into a period or time or culture or place and write within those zones and try to feel what the people in the situations would do. I'm not an author, just a writer. Writers write.

The End.

p.s. Read "Get Shorty." If you don't love that, Dutch isn't for you.

edit on 20/6/22 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Wow, that's some C.V. Elmore had! I like westerns, but I don't think I've seen any of those. Instead, the movies I know about half of them. Especially, Get Shorty, great cast and film. I will definitely look out for his book... cheers for the great tip!

Yes, the whole dialogue angle is beginning to make more sense now. As a writer, I think you have a better basis to develop into a fully-fledged author. A good storyteller's task is probably harder, if not impossible, if they can't write. I guess that's why so many "old" tales were narrated and bequeathed verbally until someone was able to get it into print. I wonder how much of the original stories "lost in translation" from generations of Chinese whispers?

edit on 20/6/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 08:47 PM
link   

argentus, recently I realised something I hadn't fathomed before after an exchange of comments with zosimov. We were discussing inspiration from music; Iron Maiden in zosimov's case: www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's true and I had never thought about it until now. I'm a great fan of 70s/8'0's rock music; both the heavier variety and softer ballads. All those songs must have had a subliminal effect on me. I know that doing artwork, whilst listening to music, has always helped me produce my favourite works. Again, they must have created a visual stimulus in my mind that I then transcribed into digital art and/or prose.

In fact, after my convo with zosimov, I reminisced and listened to the setlist of Iron Maiden's Monsters of Rock concert I attended. I swear, three more short stories popped into my head and I probably would have submitted them if the contest were still open. As music has been part of my life since childhood, I'm thinking that any creativity I possess comes from those musical sources. One thing is for sure, I've never had a piece of prose touch my soul as much as music does.

As far as you know, does music influence your writing? You mentioned that you often get ideas for lyrics or melodies. Is your perspective inverted? Are you more musically inclined as a creator rather than being influenced by others' music?

I only wish I were better with rhyme and metric. I'd love to be a behind-the-scenes songwriter.

edit on 2/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 2 2022 @ 09:56 PM
link   

I got a guitar for my birthday when I was in the fourth grade. I still have it. It is not my best sounding guitar, but it still tells a tale. All of the other guitars ( 6) sing their own songs.

I think there is a trifecta that occurs between mathematics, music and prose. Prose, because it can take on a metric, and I'm not only talking about poetry, but also short stories. I think you are aMAZing to have discovered that mutual element. When I play the guitar, I let my mind ramble and I discover tones and tonals which please me. I wish I could "type" those tonals in the same way that I type words. I type really fast, and I like to let my muse ramble and type like a mad bastard to keep up with it, when I'm creating fiction. That is the best work that I am.

I think that Iron Maiden didn't garner the respect they deserved. Their writing was incredible. Their music was amazing. They remind me of my favorite band of that period -- Kansas. Kansas incorporated classical themes with driving rock beats. Iron Maiden created a niche all of their own, reminescent of Nazareth, a band who created ballads and storied rock tunes.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   

That’s wonderful, argentus! I didn’t know you’re a musician on top of being a writer… killer combination!

Have you tried to hum your musical ideas and record them when you have flashes of inspiration? I recall some programs exist that can convert a simple tune into sheet-music. Their transcribing precision probably depends on how well you hum it… I don’t know how well they deal with mixed tones, like chords.

That’s some collection you have. I love guitar, too, but never played one properly… just Smoke on The Water rift. Yes, each instrument has a soul and an individual sound, imperceptible until played alongside another. I studied piano between the age six to seven. My parents sent me to a music academy where I had three different teachers. It was all too much for me at such a young age and I stopped after only a year.

What’s strange is that I had no difficulties reading sheet-music. I suffer from dyslexia and dyscalculia, but I guess notes are neither words nor numbers and my brain processes them differently.

Totally agree with you about Iron Maiden and Nazareth. I don’t know Kansas all that well, but I’ll check them out. Another band that I love and do storied songs is Dream Theater.

Thanks for all your feedback, argentus.

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Not my favourite, but accessible. Kansas - Mysteries and Mahem I saw them in concert six times. Those were the days. Also love ELO, Bowie, Yes, Moody Blues, Tool, Floyd and other musicians of precision and collective creativity.

ETA: 1975 Don Krshner concert. I wish I could find the whole concert. They have been youtube favorites, and then they just aren't there any more. Pisses me off. Well, and I guess we're far off-topic of your short story now. I think it's just you and me here now. no worries.

edit on 3/7/22 by argentus because: forgot the link. That won't get better with age.

edit on 3/7/22 by argentus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2022 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Cheers for the link, now I have a place to start. I, too, have seen some of my favourite bands multiple times, but a long time ago. Times have changed, most bands have lost important members and today's music just doesn't attract me. So, concerts have become almost non-existent for me.

I second your choices of other influential and extraordinary musical talents...

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Please check your DMs, argentus.

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Reversing millennia of care and construct;
Absolving Earth of Mankind and sin,
Lovingly razing Terra for a New Aeon.

Wow just wow , this was excellent .

posted on Jul, 4 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Thank you for your kind feedback, asabuvsobelow!

I'm tickled pink you enjoyed it.

edit on 4/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 07:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22 Stark. I found this quite similar to Mr. Sky's post of fifteen minutes earlier.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I remember planning the story around the word Supernatural in an acrostic form. Sky's story was inspiring, but I wasn't feeling the evil element in what I wrote. If you like, the devastation was an "evil" necessity, but I felt it was a virtuous cleansing, that was nature's supernatural way of clearing the board for a new game of life.

The thing is, I didn't really put this thought process into the writing until it was finished and read it back to myself; tweaking a few words. My biggest worry was to get each line to spell out supernatural... somehow it came together.

posted on Jul, 14 2022 @ 10:15 PM
link   

That T+C obstacle to profanity and sex caused me to fear the topic of my limerick, thought maybe i was pushing it a bit to much but it worked anyway. I had to 86 a couple of lines that would have worked very well in favor of an R rating instead of my normal X limerick style.

Hey, I've lost track of that game thread of writing a sentence with a chosen word from the previous post? You remember where that thread is? I'd appreciate it.

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

That T+C obstacle to profanity and sex caused me to fear the topic of my limerick, thought maybe i was pushing it a bit to much but it worked anyway. I had to 86 a couple of lines that would have worked very well in favor of an R rating instead of my normal X limerick style.

Hey, I've lost track of that game thread of writing a sentence with a chosen word from the previous post? You remember where that thread is? I'd appreciate it.

Yes, I have to force myself to tone down my thoughts. I wanted to use harsher language in my H-A.R.R.I.s Revenge story.

I remember the thread... Sky started it:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2022 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Thanks for that. No, the one I recall was a one sentence thread. Each respondent would write a sentence using the letters in one word chosen by the previous poster and then choose one word for the next to use to compose one sentence. For instance in this sentence I choose for the next poster the word '' COMPOSE'' and the reply might be '' Could old men possibly oppose sexual excitement?

posted on Jul, 19 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Ok, Terry, I see what you mean.

Then it must be this... quite an old thread.

Part II

Part III

It's still going... I didn't know.

edit on 19/7/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2023 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Love it! Very nice!

posted on Jun, 10 2023 @ 06:36 AM
link   
a reply to: JJproductions

Thanks, JJ!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join