It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Watch an unsuspecting driver get pummeled by nature

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   
A BMW traveling through a wooded area crosses paths with a herd of deer in a hurry to get across the road. During the rut, no less.

I have somewhat narrowly avoided hitting the odd deer now and then at night, but I have never seen an entire herd bolt across the road like this. Thankfully.

Deer BMW Driver

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Ive had a herd of deer cross in front of me on the road before. They are the most dangerous in herds. They don't pay attention to anything when in a herd. They just follow blindly.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 09:08 AM
link   
dbl post.
edit on 28-5-2022 by INnEedOfgOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 09:18 AM
link   
While I am sure an entire herd would be the worst possibility, i would rather hit a healthy 8 point whitetail any day than hit even a scrawny moose. A deer will ruin your vehicle. A moose will cash your life insurance.
The king of impact deaths, cervid edition.
a reply to: INnEedOfgOD

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: INnEedOfgOD
Ive had a herd of deer cross in front of me on the road before. They are the most dangerous in herds. They don't pay attention to anything when in a herd. They just follow blindly.

My buddy took me mushroom picking and we heard a loud rumbling noise. He yelled to get behind a tree. Later he laughed his ass off at me for hiding behind a tree that was way skinnier than I was, but I didn't have time to think. At least it stopped them hitting us because they would know the pathway but in fear only following the butt in front. Roosevelt Elk too so somewhere between 500lbs for does, 700lb for bulls but sometimes a lot more. Damn scary and no idea what scared them. We left because it was probably a cougar or bear coming our way.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

originally posted by: INnEedOfgOD

My buddy took me mushroom picking and we heard a loud rumbling noise. He yelled to get behind a tree. Later he laughed his ass off at me for hiding behind a tree that was way skinnier than I was, but I didn't have time to think. At least it stopped them hitting us because they would know the pathway but in fear only following the butt in front. Roosevelt Elk too so somewhere between 500lbs for does, 700lb for bulls but sometimes a lot more. Damn scary and no idea what scared them. We left because it was probably a cougar or bear coming our way.

When I was a lot younger when I lived in more rural area. I was out wilderness treking and came across a herd resting and sleeping. I don't know how they didn't hear or smell me. I was petrified. I slowly backed up and got out of there pronto.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

BMW driver almost reacted perfect, if not for the jolt to the right but not going to blame the driver, that must have given a heart attack almost.

I've seen such scenes during the Drückjagdt -drive hunts- but I don't think this was one, I don't see any signs around.

Once during one, I was like three meters away from a bushing with my blanked gun and clapp-wood, heard the bushes go up in noise and barelly jumped up while throwing my # away to not be run over by a wild sow. They will snap your knees like a dry pretzel snaps.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Glad it appears everyone is alright. Love the last deer that’s just jumping over nothing lol

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I hit a deer on the interstate one night on the way home from work. It was just standing there, but when you are going 75 mph your vehicle almost outruns your headlights. It was ...........poof, there's a deer.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

but when you are going 75 mph your vehicle almost outruns your headlights

Yeah it happens quick but you should check your headlights if 75mph can outrun them

No really, check your headlights positioning system, seriously something's got the be wrong with that. 75mph is 120kmh so 33m a second. That's even below your low beam settings that should be around 50m.

This give you around 1.5 seconds reaction time if you would drive without high beams, at night and something jumps on the road at the end of your low beam circle.

State verified vehicle mechanic master here, get your lights checked for your own safety please.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain
An older car, this was many moons ago. I was trying to make an analogy. Maybe not a good one. I did hit the binders but still hit it.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Alright then danger is not to be expected anymore.

I know it can go fast. I had one jump up like 5m in front of me, at night, or around 15 feet while doing only 80kmh, that's about 50mph and like, snail motion for what I am used to.

Broke up in the middle and got catapulted away, we never found it. I stopped right away and called the local hunter so I can pinpoint the place it happened and we can go look. On the car, stomach ingredients and stomach acid in the engine department right back to the firewall and up the hood. Destroyed the front, the intercooler and the horn was knocked loose.

It was summer and insurance took two days to show up, all the while I could not clean it. The stank, I tell you. Lucky for me I wasn't the one repairing it. Yuck.

I still think about it from time to time, forget the car, insurance paid it but the deer probably died in agony because we could not find it to release it from it's pain, even the dogs had no chance. I would have thought it would not come far with an open stomach but it allegedly did.
edit on 28.5.2022 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
They can do pretty wicked things to your ribs, sternum and spine if they are feeling like trampling you on purpose, too.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 06:52 PM
link   
And then it was *poof* there's no bumper, front cap, grill or radiator.

posted on May, 28 2022 @ 07:36 PM
link   

I heard stories from other hunter assistants that they (hogs/sows) would even linger around for a while once they escaped up to a tree or I think it was a fire wood staple in that case.

Yes they pack some momentum those hogs, that was also the last time I was doing drive hunting on the ground. Don't need that again lol. Sometimes I see a sow with her small rott while roaming the forest, never ran into them by surprise. But I know to keep distance, they smell me anyways if the wind is blowing from my direction.

First time I gutted one myself and got close, I got to learn how much work it is breaking it up and gutting plus getting it out and up on the truck. It's a bloody mess but the Bologna and Lasagna made out of ground hog meat is the best and worth it.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Fantastic point, and something maybe not a lot of people know or think about. It's amazing how easy it is to get used to something that isn't working properly, if it just still works.

posted on Feb, 14 2023 @ 04:39 PM
link   

We're got a pretty good amount of feral hogs not far west of me, and even more in the state to the west (Texas). I've run across a sow with piglets while squirrel hunting and had to scramble up a live oak to get away from her. If she'd not had babies in tow, and I had something more substantial than 20 ga birdshot, I'd maybe have defended myself instead of scrambling up the tree, but it is what it is.

posted on Feb, 15 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   

We have a plaque of hogs here, government is issuing thermal night vision scopes and silencers to hunters since a few years. However, it does not make it that much easier in the forest because you won't see bushwork and branches with the thermal scope and strains the eyes.

Some hunters use drones to shoot a couple dozens at a time. Three hunters took down 23 hogs in one night I heard at the range, with single bolt action rifles... Two were shooting, one operated the drone, that had thermal night vision too. They spotted them with the drone and then pushed them towards an already harvested field, to take them down.

The story went around like that because not one hog got away injured, it were all instant kills. No searching for injured, they downed them all. Got them a lot of glory inside the hunters guild.

Stumbling over a Rotte (a sow with it's piglets) can escalate very quickly. I once helped drive hunting (drive the animals to one spot) and scrambled for a tree myself when a hog came out of the lower bushwork and went right at me. Probably because I was the easiest target of the four people that were next to me, doing the same. Walking through the forest in dawn with cap guns and clap boards, to make some noise.

top topics

join