It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

JIF peanut butter outbreak of salmonella Lexington, Ky., manufacturing facility.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:05 PM
link   
JIF peanut butter outbreak of salmonella Lexington, Ky., manufacturing facility. So guess who has a jar LOL and we are 2/3 the way through it. Yes, we have had some of the symptoms this past month, it even makes our chills and heart palpitations semi understandable.

www.npr.org...

The recalled products have lot code numbers between 1274425 – 2140425 and include the numbers 425 for the 5th-7th digits. "425" in that position indicates that it was processed in the Lexington facility.

To see if your jar of Jif peanut butter is being recalled, check the lot number that is printed below the "Best if Used by" date on the label. Products with lot codes 1274425 – 2140425, with the digits 425 in the 5th-7th position, are being recalled.
The Food and Drug Administration
This information is usually printed on the back label of the jar. A list of recalled products and their numbers can be seen on the FDA's website.

If you happen to have a jar included in the recall, you should throw it away immediately.

The FDA noted that the peanut butter has a two-year shelf life so consumers should check any Jif peanut butter already in their home.

After throwing the peanut butter out, the CDC recommends washing and sanitizing any surfaces or containers that might have come into contact with the peanut butter.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Same here..2 jars, both about half gone. Both are on the recall list.
I luckily don't eat bug guts.
If my wife starts acting fishy, I will report back.

50/50 it's fake anyway...Part of the great starvening-a-demic
edit on 5 by Mandroid7 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:47 PM
link   
We have two jars with the numbers in stock, but we have not got them into rotation yet to have used one. We have like ten jars of peanut butter, of which six are Jif in rotation. Four are from that facility, but one has earlier numbers and one has a later number I think.

We decided to buy peanut butter and put it into rotation when they had that problem with peanut products being recalled a while back. We had them in rotation for like fifteen years, but we decided to boost the amount in rotation of certain products so recalls could be culled if we hear about them....not surprising we have tossed out maybe ten cans or bottles of stuff over the last fifteen years that were recalled without eating them like the two we have right now will be discarded. I am sure that not all of those peanut butters from the timeframe at that plant are toxic, but why take a chance if you don't have to. The daughter did have five jars of the effected peanut butter left, she bought a case from Amazon about four months ago, and her kids have been having stomach issues...the hospital said it was probably some sort of stomach effecting virus or something...but now she wonders if it was the peanut butter. She had gotten the Jiff before this last case too, but those are already gone now so she does not know if the numbers matched like this case did.

I wish that smuckers would give a refund certificate so people could get a new jar if they took a picture of the number and emailed it in to them. They just say to throw it out, peanut butter went up in the last year quite a bit too. I would feel better if I got a replacement jar....after all, it is their fault they were not checking better, not mine.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:53 PM
link   
It would make sense that all the Jif around here would come from the Lexington, KY plant. But not a jar to be found on the shelf.

I suppose choosy moms are going to have to choose something other than Jif.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Im from Georgia IIRC we had a severe salmonella outbreak at a much smaller plant, that was a semi-big deal years ago.

Food poisoning isn't fun when you are young Id imagine it's worse when you get old.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Found out about this last Saturday. I hated throwing my product away but was grateful I seen the recall before I ate it as a few days before I was going to make a snack but opted for something else. I told my family as soon as I found out and some of them had already been eating some (same lot numbers and upc on recall) but didn't get sick but still threw it out just in case. I was surprised at the fact that when I returned to work on Monday (I had the weekend off which is rare) that halfway through my day the recall came up for us to pull it from the shelves. Considering I had I known about it a full 2 days beforehand but then again it's a corporation so the big wigs don't work weekends or give a damn.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Same here..2 jars, both about half gone. Both are on the recall list.
I luckily don't eat bug guts.
If my wife starts acting fishy, I will report back.

50/50 it's fake anyway...Part of the great starvening-a-demic

Well, if they find it in one jar they can recall them all out of safety. Most of the jars would have it and people would be really sick. I am with you. There may be a fake situation with our foodstuff and this smells nutty! Peanutty. We have 5 jars and if they had salmonella I would be dead by now. We lived on Jif since I was a kid as one thing she would give us. Jif is a winner in my book.

edit on 26-5-2022 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2022 @ 02:37 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

We also have jar that has about 1/4 left. I have had some symptoms during the time we were eating it, but my wife has been fine. I’m not sure if what I had was caused by the pb, it wasn’t severe enough to go to the doctor.

I too want my replacement jar. If you throw out the jar, how do you prove you were involved in this. I say wash out the jar, hang on to it or cut out the info, and bug the company till they replace it. It’s only fair.

posted on May, 27 2022 @ 07:15 AM
link   
we have a jar and a quarter, both bought together from COSTCO. And yes, they are on the list.

posted on May, 27 2022 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Every jar in a lot is pulled out of an abundance of caution, but it doesn't mean every jar is contaminated. Hell ours probably wasn't and we have been feeling crappy for other reasons
edit on 27-5-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join