It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World's First Airport for Flying Cars & Drones Opens in UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Flying Cars are moving closer to reality, ATS. A company known as Air One has built an Airport for Flying Cars and Drones in the City of Coventry in the UK with others being planned to be built in over 200 other cities around the World including: London, Los Angeles, Australia, South Korea, France, Germany, Scandinavia, and South East Asia.

The UK has just opened the world’s first urban airport.
Electric drones and air taxis will be able to use the new port in Coventry.
It’s planned to be the first of hundreds of city-centre zero-emission airports.
The world’s first airport for electric drones and flying cars just opened in the centre of a city in the UK. If it’s a success, it will be the blueprint for hundreds more around the world.

The pop-up Air-One has been built in the city of Coventry. It’s designed for zero-emission electric drones and air taxis and the airport itself is powered by hydrogen fuel cells.

This site is built as a pop-up to test the technology but with hundreds of others planned around the world and with projections that the market for advanced air mobility could reach $12.4 billion worldwide by 2027, I think the age of flying cars is definitely here....!

What say you, ATS?

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   
That is interesting news.

I'm still skeptical about how practical these flying cars will be.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I don't understand this. Why throw away a major advantage of flying car by forcing them to use an airport.

You are supposed to takeoff from your driveway and land in a parking lot. Driving to and from airports kind of kills the whole saving time, saving energy and convenience part of flying cars.

Someone is stuck thinking of airplanes and not flying cars.
edit on 5 24 2022 by beyondknowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

I think the point of using these ports is traffic flow control. If everyone took off and landed from wherever they wanted things could get messy really quickly. Albeit, there's supposed to be what's called "the highway in the sky" for this very purpose so IDK.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

I think that in cities like Coventry, what we see in the picture could be useful. After all, in cities like that, people can't just land on streets.

In more suburban and rural settings, landing on streets could work.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   
You don't seem to understand the concept of flying cars. The people in the car are not in control while flying. People have enough problems driving. A network will control the flight, you just tell it where you want to go and ride. You might park your car after landing.

If people are allowed to actually fly the cars, they would spend months getting certified for flight. Again, this would kill the convenience of flying cars.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It seems odd that over $1million was spent on building an airport for flying cars when they haven't even perfected the technology yet- or have they? Have we been Black Op'ed again?

Every 50 minutes somebody dies in a car accident involving an alcohol-impaired driver; I wonder what the numbers are going to look like when they take to the air.

Gosh, Beyondknowledge- you just took the wind out of my sails!
Auto-pilot flying cars for the win!

edit on 200000099America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: eta

edit on 200000099America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: sp

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Too soon on the bandwagon, all this will be is a white elephant with money having passed under the table somewhere along the lines.

A joke that looks like a UFO parked in the city and a wate of money.

We do not live in megatowers over here in the UK so we don't have vertical villages and towns like some nations such as Japan or China does and that means flying cars will always be relegated to a novelty of the elite even if they become a real thing in our nation.

If someone was hoodwinked into investing in this then they were ripped off.

Electric car infrastructure would have been both a sound and a genuinely appropriate investment but this is just plain nut's.

Except as an experiment as some of you have pointed out, to trial how to integrate the flying car into an existing transport network something of this kind will become essential, BUT only when we actually have some flying cars and enough of them to make sense to invest in this along with new legislation to govern there behaviour.

I don't so much see this as a nod to the future as more like a wishful thinking and someone making a pot of cash out of other's gullibility in my opinion.

In the extremely busy airspace over the UK flying cars are going to have be very heavily regulated and controlled, there is simply too much going on in our sky's to envisage it otherwise, intelligent computer control and even control by air traffic controllers will likely become a feature so even if flying cars do become a normal sight they will not be flown by there human occupants either in the air or perhaps on the ground.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

I don't understand this. Why throw away a major advantage of flying car by forcing them to use an airport.

You are supposed to takeoff from your driveway and land in a parking lot. Driving to and from airports kind of kills the whole saving time, saving energy and convenience part of flying cars.

Someone is stuck thinking of airplanes and not flying cars.

If you're using a flying car to travel 60 miles because it's more efficient than driving on a conventional road, odds are you might be lazy and entitled. This is a hyped up novelty designed to capitalize on customers who have more money than sense.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

Spot on.

Were these things MAY find a genuine lease of life is as part of a network catering to hybrid fly drive delivery drones rather than as an actual transport hub for people, we live in a world were work from home has been shown to be affective and to cut costs on workspace though team builders hate the idea.

Still it means likely less not more travel in the future with more use of virtual office space and work from home ethos something that will only fall flat if it is shown that working in an office is somehow more cost affective and productive.

At the moment it's a culture class between old and new, this is an attempt to thrive off a sector of travel that will likely not be all that big in the future but those fly and drive delivery systems on the other hand may find these form of facility's useful hub's in the future so that is that to consider.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

It seems odd that over $1million was spent on building an airport for flying cars when they haven't even perfected the technology yet- or have they?

PAL-V Flying Car.

www.pal-v.com...

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

It seems odd that over $1million was spent on building an airport for flying cars when they haven't even perfected the technology yet- or have they?

PAL-V Flying Car.

www.pal-v.com...

That is not a flying car. It is a gyroplane with driven road wheels. Please try again.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

originally posted by: alldaylong

PAL-V Flying Car.

www.pal-v.com...

That is not a flying car. It is a gyroplane with driven road wheels.

Go and tell that to the manufacturer then, because that is what it advertised as.

But you know better.

posted on May, 24 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

No, history knows better. They were invented in the 1920s.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Im thinking they will at least require two Airports on the island for these new conveyances else its rather redundant.

Do people still not require like 3 or 4 diffrent licences just to operate flying cars?

Its coming ile give you that, but health and safety plus the insurance companies may present somewhat of an obstacle.

Might be wrong all the same, hope im wrong even, and this type of technology and transport are right around the corner.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
It seems odd that over $1million was spent on building an airport for flying cars when they haven't even perfected the technology yet- or have they? Have we been Black Op'ed again?

Every 50 minutes somebody dies in a car accident involving an alcohol-impaired driver; I wonder what the numbers are going to look like when they take to the air.

Gosh, Beyondknowledge- you just took the wind out of my sails!
Auto-pilot flying cars for the win!

They're going to be ai controlled

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

That was always on the cards where flying cars are concerned.

But they are still going to require a modicum of manual control else when their guidance fails, which is apt to happen at some point, they would essentially be a ballistic missile over populated areas.
edit on 26-5-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Either that or an emergency parachute system.

AI controlled flying cars..

Yeah, I don't know. On a similar note, does anyone have experience with unmanned buses or taxies? I've heard they're a thing a few places but I'm curious of how far they've come in terms of reliability and safety.

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 05:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Skeletonized

Possibly

A parachute system still would not offer proper guidance through, allowing the vehicles to land in water, or some other obstacle, even hitting powerlines on the way down.

They will require manual controls that will allow them to land me thinks.

As to the reliability and safety, im not sure, don't they already have air taxis in the likes of Dubai, how are they faring over there?
edit on 26-5-2022 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 26 2022 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I did quick google search and found this Dubai air taxi.

"It requires no human intervention for working. Powered by AI, these vehicles are programmed to identify and avoid birds and other objects while flying. It uses sensors and image processors for navigation and a laser-based lidar to identify any obstruction on landing surfaces."

..."Moreover, the noise-proof cabin is fitted with aircraft emergency parachutes in case of an accident."

Not much detail, but I guess it's more a promotional ad so no big surprise really. I assume more details will be forthcoming after the first accidents. Something like: "Our thoughts go out to the families who have lost their loved ones. We had not anticipated that our air taxi would be capable of becoming a ballistic missile, hitting power lines on the way down and smashing into residential homes below. We are taking serious measures to correct any design flaws" etc.

I agree though. Some form of manual control options should be in place. I'm thinking of the recent incident where the passenger of that small plane had to land as the captain was incapacitated (any news on him btw?).

top topics

<<   2 >>

join