It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Archbishop bars Pelosi from communion over support for abortion rights

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+8 more 
posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I remember previously this very thing was threatened, and it seems they are making good. You don't get to use your faith when it suits you in order to get votes, and then disregard that faith when it's convenient in order to get votes. I am not a fan of Catholicism, but good on them for calling people out for disregarding their teachings while talking about how strong their Catholic faith is.

The Archbishop of San Francisco barred Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) from receiving communion over her support for abortion rights.

Archbishop Salvatore Cordileone said in a letter to Pelosi on Thursday that he had requested to speak to her after she vowed to codify Roe v. Wade, the landmark abortion rights case, in wake of Texas banning abortions after six weeks last September.

He had warned Pelosi in an April 7 letter, he said, to either repudiate advocacy for abortion rights or to refrain from referring to her Catholic faith in public or else he would have no choice but to bar her from being admitted communion.

www.fox46.com...

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Similar to a klansman claiming to be a BLM supporter.

Bizarro world we live in.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sounds like this Archbishop needs to be taking Communion more often since he's missed the entire point of Communion and Christ's sacrifice.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: loam

Similar to a klansman claiming to be a BLM supporter.

Bizarro world we live in.

My faith, which calls abortion murder, is why I support abortion rights so strongly. Errrr what?

+6 more 
posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Sounds like this Archbishop needs to be taking Communion more often since he's missed the entire point of Communion and Christ's sacrifice.

False. Seems like you missed it. He did not say she can't get it because she sinned, he said she can't because she rejects the Church and uses her strong Catholic faith to justify her stance on abortion. The two are not compatible. She wants Communion, which is for the forgiveness of sins, while saying she refuses to ask for forgiveness for her sins.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Wrong. Communion has nothing to do with the absolution of sin. It is a ritual meant to help a person remember Christ's sacrifice and his message and use it as a time to reflect on that message.

It seems to me that if a priest believes a person's actions go against Christ's message you'd want them to take Communion in the hopes they would take the opportunity to reflect and see the error of their ways.

By the way, where in the Bible did God or Jesus have anything to say about abortion?

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

What was the point of Christ's sacrifice? Forgiveness of sins. It would seem to ME if someone claims to be a member of the faith, and is constantly talking about how strong that faith is, they should be expected to follow the teachings of that faith.

Do you think they would allow someone Communion who was running around killing people saying it was for the glory of God, and they would not stop, their faith compels them to keep doing it, and telling others in the Church they are against God if they don't support it?

I think they wouldn't. She has to choose, is she Catholic, and follows the teachings of the Church, or does she reject them.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:03 PM
link   
DP
edit on 20-5-2022 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Exo 20:13
“You shall not murder.

Jer 1:5
“Before I formed you in the womb I knew[fn] you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.”

Upon being formed in the womb, God knows us. God doesn't know us at birth, but before that. Killing another human without just cause is murder last I checked.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:14 PM
link   

He did not say she can't get it because she sinned, he said she can't because she rejects the Church and uses her strong Catholic faith to justify her stance on abortion. The two are not compatible. She wants Communion, which is for the forgiveness of sins, while saying she refuses to ask for forgiveness for her sins.

BS! Did Jesus deny Judas the Eucharist? Did Jesus use the Last Supper to forgive the apostles sins, or to affirm his eternal life and presence with believers.

“This bread is my body. This wine is my blood. Every time you eat this bread and drink this wine in my name, I will be present with you.”

Just as our bodies require food and drink for physical nurture and growth, so for nurture and growth our souls need “soul” food. Sensing this deep need of the human soul, and aware of his approaching death on a cross, Jesus shared a farewell meal with his beloved companions

explorefaith.org...

Using the Eucharist as a political weapon to control politics is NOT what The Last Supper and Eucharist is all about, but it is what The Church is all about.

Pope Francis says bishops should be pastors, not politicians in US debate on denying Biden communion over abortion

Pew surveys show more than half of US Catholics favor abortion rights and most American Catholics do not believe Biden should be refused communion.

“The pastor knows what to do. In every moment that he leaves the church’s pastoral path he immediately becomes a politician,” Francis said Wednesday.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
What's to stop Pelosi from achieving her pastor's license via online resources and giving herself communion? She can divide her time between Congress duties on the weekdays and dabble in Catholic services on the weekend. Just don't get confused when your friends show up to confession and admit what backstabbing cretins they are.

edit on 20-5-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Did Judas say what he did was right, and he would do it again, and anyone who is against betraying God is evil?

Mat 27:3
When Judas, who had betrayed him, saw that Jesus was condemned, he was seized with remorse and returned the thirty pieces of silver to the chief priests and the elders.

Mat 27:4
“I have sinned,” he said, “for I have betrayed innocent blood.” “What is that to us?” they replied. “That’s your responsibility.”

27:5
So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

So when Pelosi admits what she did was wrong, she can be compared to Judas.
edit on 20-5-2022 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

She can, but she won't be Catholic anymore. She can found her Church of Abortion.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Did Judas say what he did was right, and he would do it again, and anyone who is against betraying God is evil?

Did Jesus deny Judas the Eucharist or not? Answer the question.

So when Pelosi admits what she did was wrong,

What? You want a report from the priest she offers confession to? You don't know her heart. Hypocrite!

edit on 20-5-2022 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:28 PM
link   

By the way, where in the Bible did God or Jesus have anything to say about abortion?

God commanded abortions to be performed by priests if the pregnancy was the result of a cheating wife.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

Just as our bodies require food and drink for physical nurture and growth, so for nurture and growth our souls need “soul” food. Sensing this deep need of the human soul, and aware of his approaching death on a cross, Jesus shared a farewell meal with his beloved companions

Full version.

Mat 26:26
While they were eating, Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples, saying, “Take and eat; this is my body.”

Mat 26:27
Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.

Mat 26:28
This is my blood of the[fn] covenant, [which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

Yet she refuses to ask for forgiveness, but demands the blood poured out for forgiveness. Can't have your cake and east it too.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha
What? You want a report from the priest she offers confession to? You don't know her heart. Hypocrite!

So you are saying she actually believes abortion is murder, but for political gain publicly supports it? Hypocrite indeed.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman

God commanded abortions to be performed by priests if the pregnancy was the result of a cheating wife.

Oh, please show me the verse where God commanded people to abort a pregnancy due to infidelity. Hint, I know what verse you mean, second hint, it doesn't say at all what you claim.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   

The Catholic Church teaches that there are many purposes of the Eucharist, and numerous spiritual benefits which accrue from partaking in Communion at Mass—provided this is undertaken in a “worthy manner” and without conscious mortal sin. (6) It is the “source and summit of the Christian life,” (7) the sign of Christian unity, (8) and of the Body of Christ, the Church, (9) an act of Thanksgiving to God, (10) a memorial and sacrifice, (11) the central focus of the liturgy and Mass, (12) the empowering of the faithful for ministry, (13) a symbol of God’s faithfulness and miraculous provision, (14) an anticipation of the wedding feast of the Lamb in heaven, (15) a remembrance of the Last Supper, (16) and of Christ’s Passion, Resurrection, and return, (17) a sign of salvation, the “bread of heaven,” (18) adoration and worship of God, (19) union with Christ, (20) the means of grace, cleansing from sin, and spiritual renewal, (21) and an offering for the dead. (22)

So completely does Jesus disclose Himself to His disciples . . . that He gives Himself to them and enters into them as a personal source of grace. Jesus shares with His disciples His most intimate possession, the most precious thing that He Has, His own self . . . So greatly does Jesus love His Community, that He permeates it . . . with His real Self, God and Man. He enters into a real union of flesh and blood with it, and binds it to His being even as the branch is bound to the vine.

LINK

"I myself am the living bread come down from heaven. If anyone eats this bread he shall live forever; the bread I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world. Let me solemnly assure you, if you do not eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you have no life in you. He who feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood has life eternal, and I will raise him up on the last day. For my flesh is real food and my blood real drink. The man who feeds on my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. Just as the Father who has life sent me and I have life because of the Father, so the man who feeds on me will have life because of me" (John 6:51, 53-57).

www.catholiceducation.org...

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Pelosi has as well. If you publicly don't walk the walk, you can't pretend taking communion. Taking communion is a public statement.
Pelosi is making a public statement that rejects the point of communion, so for her to be allowed to take it in her current condition, would be allowing her to commit a type of perjury.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join