It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Increasing of Knowledge is the Increaseing of Pain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:01 PM
link   
So I was talking with my kid a couple of days ago. He has a friend who is pretty smart, very smart, and they like to pit their brains against each other. Of course they're both young and inexperienced, in their early 20's and studying still. Yet they can get bored and frustrated quite easily with others. We'll call the friend Brian. Brian loves learning and is quite talented at a lot of things. Brian asks my son what he thought of the following proverb:

"For an abundance of wisdom brings an abundance of frustration, So that whoever increases knowledge increases pain."-Ecclesiastes 1:18.

Those words were written by wise king Solomon, who was famed for his wisdom and understanding. It is interesting that after all he learned, and was able to grasp and understand with his mind, a gift granted him by God, that was his conclusion. That the more you know the more pain you are in. My kid didn't understand that came to ask me about it.

I said it is a good lesson to learn early in life. For some it takes a lifetime to learn. You see everything in this life is futility. That is what Solomon was writing about there. He talked about how rich he was, how much power he had, he did everything that his heart delighted in, and was able to do just about anything he wanted to do. And being able to do it all and know more than anyone before him just made him more frustrated with life and the inability of humankind to fix all of the real problems of life. We all grow old, we all get sick, and we all die.

A person may gain knowledge and wisdom in many fields, or may delight in studying deeply a specific field of endeavor. With such increased knowledge and wisdom the man may well become more keenly aware of how limited his opportunities are to use his knowledge and wisdom because of his short life span and because of the problems and bad conditions that confront and oppose him in imperfect human society. Solomon called this knowledge that humans strive after a "miserable occupation."

It makes me think of Elon Musk actually. I was watching an interview with him recently, and he seems to be a very observant and smart individual. He is scared for the future of humanity. He thinks that humankind is going to destroy itself shortly because of ruining the earth. He also thinks that AI is an ever-looming threat. I feel bad for the fellow, he said he keeps himself up at night in terror at what is going to befall humankind in the near future. Certainly his increased knowledge has made him more accurately aware of the human condition, and how hopeless we are. Anyone really that comes into real knowledge only opens his eyes to the fact of how horrible the human condition is, and how hopeless we are at fixing the problems we face. And we all inevitably go to the grave. Solomon came to that conclusion a long time ago:

"I saw all the works that were done under the sun, And look! everything was futile, a chasing after the wind."-Ecclesiastes 1:14.

I told my kid, you see the world tells you that to make it in life you need a big education, you need a successful career, you need to make a lot of money. People strive after fame, fortune, power, knowledge. And look at all of them. Which among them are happy? I said look at all those famous politicians in the news, all the famous actors we watched on the big screen. Which of them has made a good name? Which of them looks pleased and happy with life and the world? It is all futile and vanity. All of it.

People who think they are going to find happiness by being famous are fooling themselves, they are naive, stupid. People who think they are going to find fulfillment in going into politics to change things they are all going to become disillusioned with how really evil and corrupt the world is. They aren't going to be able to make any real lasting changes for good. They end up in misery and hurt and pain and frustration at how ineffective and useless they are to change things.

So what do a lot of people do? They turn to drinking and doing drugs, and partying, and having a "good time" in their eyes. Temporary enjoyment of the pleasures of the flesh. And that too is vanity. It all leads to the same road.

I left him with this thought. Solomon in all his glory, fame, riches, power, and wisdom concluded this:

"The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man. For the true God will judge every deed, including every hidden thing, as to whether it is good or bad."-Ecclesiastes 12:13-14.

We are all like little lost children running amok. Only the ones who take time out to worship God find true contentment and happiness. The knowledge of God and his love gives us hope and a purpose. He is going to fix all the problems humans face. The knowledge of God makes the heart rejoice. That is why Jesus said happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, we all have it but few recognize it or try to satisfy it. And that is the most satisfying thing of all in life. Finding God and serving him. All the rest if just a lot of trash in the end.

A human without their Creator is the most sad pitiable thing there is.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Patronizing language like this is precisely why some of us don't do cults or pseudo enlightened hogwash.

I will however answer your scriptures with a Buddhist tenet that roughly says "attachment is suffering". In the context you provided, this means any semblance of virtue will inevitably lead to sorrow. But to be fair, defeat and grief and doubt are character building. It teaches you to face your worst self head on and assemble your best devices in spite of adversity. You're not down and out until you're dead and the strongest skill anyone can possess is standing back up.

edit on 20-5-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

Patronizing language like this is precisely why some of us don't do cults or pseudo enlightened hogwash.

I wrote that thinking of the words of a martial arts expert who felt lonely and lost as she put it without her Creator:

I can't imagine why anyone would feel offended by such a sentiment. Humankind is in a terminal condition. Without outside help there is no hope. You will die and cease to exist. And while you are alive you are hopeless. And everything you do is futile and a striving after the wind. Your life is like a blade of grass on a hot summer day, it will fade and blow away on the wind and no one will remember you and you will no longer be.

"Do not be upset because of evil men
Or envious of wrongdoers.
They will quickly wither like grass
And shrivel like green new grass.
"
Psalms 37:1-2.
edit on 20-5-2022 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: randomuser

It's pretty simple. The idea one requires a master or superior to grant operational self esteem is a classic narcissist control strategy. Imagine gradually poisoning someone so they lose their ability to function independently and using that opportunity to take away their sense of autonomy and identity without your constant reinforcement.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:43 PM
link   

It's pretty simple. The idea one requires a master or superior to grant operational self esteem is a classic narcissist control strategy.

Like Jesus said:

"“Happy are those conscious of their spiritual need, since the Kingdom of the heavens belongs to them."-Matthew 5:3.

Your accusations against him are quite wrong. Just do a little study of the gospels and how he lived his life and the love and self-sacrifice he exercised for people of all sorts.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

I'm not "accusing" anyone, just rebutting your claim that people who are happily self sufficient without the intervention of a creator being are sad and pitiable. That's patently condescending.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I'm not "accusing" anyone, just rebutting your claim that people who are happily self sufficient without the intervention of a creator being are sad and pitiable. That's patently condescending.

Yes. But you did. You said he was a narcissist and a cult leader basically. Jesus says:

"Come to me, all you who are toiling and loaded down, and I will refresh you. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am mild-tempered and lowly in heart, and you will find refreshment for yourselves. For my yoke is kindly, and my load is light.”-Matthew 11:28-30.

Jesus as a mighty spirit son of God in heaven sitting at God's right hand is no human on earth to be considered a cult leader. He was humble to the extreme, the most humble of all humans who ever lived. He is mild-tempered, and lowly in heart. His yoke is kindly, and his load is light. Those who find him find refreshment for their souls.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   

No, I'm saying narcissists employ cult psychology tricks that look and sound a lot like what you're typing and no thank you. Quoting scripture doesn't disguise the gist of "you're useless without me and nobody loves you unless I do" which is the exact opposite of spiritual.

That's all I have to say here.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:03 PM
link   

No, I'm saying narcissists employ cult psychology tricks that look and sound a lot like what you're typing and no thank you. Quoting scripture doesn't change the essential meaning of "you're useless without me and nobody loves you unless I do" which is what you said in addition to the quoted texts.

That's all I have to say here.

You are quite wrong in your assessment. Nothing I said was inaccurate. And nothing was said in bad taste or with malintent. Any reasonable person reading my OP could see that. Especially the last phrase you attacked, which was a paraphrase of a martial arts expert looking for purpose in life, referring to herself.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Sounds like something the cenobites from Hellraiser would say....

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I grew up in a Baptist home. Even went to a Baptist College.

From the time I was 7 or 8 until 22, I prayed for wisdom. I walk away from religion, I got tired of the hypocrisy.

Jump forward 25 years. I am a recovering alcoholic...a year plus sober, that alone is a miracle.

However, as I reflect on my past, I realized that my prayers were answered. I have lived a wild life...think Suburbia the movie, and have seen things no one should see. But I learned from it. I have become a better person for the wisdom I have gained. That wisdom has come with a lot of pain...not just from falling down, but the pain of standing back up. The broken bones, the broken heart, the wounded spirit.

If I could change one thing, it would be saving my marriage. That is not going to happen. But other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. I understand where people are, I know their pain. I can use that to help others.

I am grateful for these lessons I learned the hard way.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   

"You will Know nothing, and you will be happy!"

After all, Ignorance is Bliss.

Maybe that's why a website whose motto (at least used to be), "Deny Ignorance", seems to attract so many sad, angry, frightened, and "damaged" posters?
edit on 20-5-2022 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mantiss2021

"You will Know nothing, and you will be happy!"

After all, Ignorance is Bliss.

Maybe that's why a website whose motto (at least used to be), "Deny Ignorance", seems to attract so many sad, angry, frightened, and "damaged" posters?

Ignorance is only bliss when one is with other ignorant minds. This is where those minds can come to open up a little.

Denying Ignorance here on ATS is about helping others see things in a different way that contains more truth by shining light.

Sometimes the truth is hard to take, and wisdom finds US, not the other way round. It happens after a revelation we cannot ignore.

posted on May, 21 2022 @ 04:49 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

You're not down and out until you're dead and the strongest skill anyone can possess is standing back up.

We obviously see this thread from two different perspectives. I think you're looking at it from a human standpoint and I look at it more from a spiritual one.

What good is learning from our mistakes, having autonomy, self identity, self esteem, developing strong skills or anything else once you're dead? All of those things help us while we exist on this earth, but I don't believe that was the largest gist of this thread.

I believe that the OP is trying to point out that true peace, joy, and contentment comes from knowing that this life isn't all there is because this life pretty much requires putting up with a lot of imperfect and stupid people who will always be a source of grief in our lives no matter how good we have it.

The sad part comes in for those who don't know, understand or believe that this human life isn't all there is.

join