It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well.....Now I Have Done It ----- Resolved

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Elienne
I bought another computer.

Why didn't you just reinstall windows? That's a bit like hitting your thumb on purpose with a hammer, because the nail was bent...

Not sure why people can't just stop the automatic update service using powershell. There are commands for it.

Start powershell as admin.
Then it's just 3 lines.

The first one stops the service.
The second one tells it not to restart.
The third one verifies it's stopped.

stop-service -DisplayName "Windows Update"
get-service -DisplayName "Windows Update" | Set-Service -StartupType "Disabled"
get-service -DisplayName "Windows Update"

Should look like this.

PS C:Windowssystem32> stop-service -DisplayName "Windows Update"
PS C:Windowssystem32> get-service -DisplayName "Windows Update" | Set-Service -StartupType "Disabled"
PS C:Windowssystem32> get-service -DisplayName "Windows Update"

Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Stopped wuauserv Windows Update

And it should not restart.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: mockingmay
No error message.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
a reply to: jerich0

Turned out one of the m2 cards

As in more than one?

No need to brag!!!!

Lol, I have terabytes which I need for all the security surveillance and music I have!! Hey if you're going to buy an i9 9900k and have 3 vr hmd's you need the space too! This was a few years ago, just before the oculus quest 2 came out.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

I just checked the prices.

Surprisingly, a 1TB m.2 NVME is cheaper by $100 than I paid for my 256G!

High time to upgrade.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 09:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Have you found your service tag? If so PM me so that I can look up your PC model on Dell. Also, I need a little more information to help. Is the computer stopping at a black screen? Is it continuously rebooting? etc...
edit on 5/19/2022 by mockingmay because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Continually trying to reboot...then tries to repair.

I can log into my Dell account on another computer/

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Now that has happened to be before.

I ended up having to reinstall windows.

However since you just flashed the BIOS, this may not be the same case as yours.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Hmm.. Take a look at this link and see if any of these steps can get you out of that repair loop.
You may need to do #4 Detailed Steps to Fix Windows 10 Endless Reboot Loop

Another link to look at. Stuck in Windows 10 Automatic Repair Loop? Fix It Right Away

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:36 PM
link   

I tried #4 in your first link, it will let me do that.
It won't fix whatever though.
Or it says it has, but it still won't start. I'm getting confused.

Your second link won't load on this damn old computer doing Windows 7.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Kinda out of ideas here. :/ Try loading that 2nd link on your phone and see if it'll open and try those steps.
www.fonepaw.com...

It explains how to fix the master boot record and even how to restore a copy of your registry.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I'll have to try that link on a different browser tomorrow, but thanks for your help.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:45 PM
link   
You're welcome.
Good luck!

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 11:16 PM
link   
If it was fifteen years ago or more I could have helped you. I used to fix bios problems in computers for friends quite a bit. I could gain access with pressing some keys on boot or I could start it with a special hacking disk I had....still got that disk, but it supposedly does not work on newer computers anymore. The person I got the disk from owns a computer repair store and he still has the business. I could probably get new hacking software from him if I go see him...those programs are used to gain access to customers computers to fix viruses or screwups from people shutting off the computer partway through an upgrade.

Sorry I cannot help you to fix this, I got frustrated when everything was changing so fast. I must have fixd a hundred computers that had messed up software, and I cannot even gain access to the bios in my dell I am using.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just reset the UEFI/BIOS. Unplug, hold down power button for a few seconds to discharge all electricity. Open up the case and look for the small battery for the BIOS. Remove it for 10 minutes. Add back, you should have it reset. Look on YouTube for videos on resetting the BIOS for visual help. There usually is a jumper you can move to reset it as well. Make sure the PC is powered off if you do it that way.

ETA. Here is a link to what the jumper to reset the BIOS looks like. You just move it over for a minute or to, then return it back to the original position. Make sure there is no power to the computer if you try it.

MOBO jumper for BIOS
edit on 19-5-2022 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

What does Flashed the bios nean?

ETA
I see, updated.....
edit on Thu May 19 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 12:00 AM
link   

What does Flashed the bios nean?

Well it doesn't mean what they do down at Mardi Gras!

=D

It's called flashing the bios because the BIOS is stored on flash memory. Geekspeek.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 12:37 AM
link   
I have always had Dells....if you do end up having to get a new computer, get their premium support for like 3 years or so. I have had to use it and it has been a lifesaver. Especially the one time my cat spilled something on my laptop....and it just would not turn on. They fixed it. Then the one time, my screen got cracked and the monitor would not turn on. They completely replaced it.

Its a large upfront cost, but worth it IMO

Anyways good luck...seems you got some good help here!

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Hi DTOM.

I think we need to isolate the BIOS issue from Windows. A corrupt BIOS won't even let you boot into the operating system, so I'm pretty sure it isn't a Windows problem.

The BIOS update would have been issued by DELL and not by Micro$oft.

To understand how a BIOS works and what has changed over the years, have a quick read HERE

Having got that out of the way, the problem is to understand where the BIOS resides. With the old system (30+ years) it lived on a dedicated ROM memory on the motherboard, so completely detached from the hard drive and operating system.

However, the new UEFI BIOS can live in various places, including the hard disk.

I don't see a reply to JinMI about the F2 startup option that can help recover/update the BIOS... have you been able to try it?

If not, have a look at this DELL support page that explains how to recover a failed/corrupted BIOS. If your current BIOS supports it, the recovery tool is already on the computer. Otherwise, the process could involve downloading their software and using an USB drive to side load the tool. check it out HERE

In the article please check that your DELL model is compatible before doing anything else.

Good luck!

edit on 20/5/2022 by Encia22 because: Tinkering

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Mine did that i took the RAM out
put it back in and it booted right up.
may not be your problem but it worked for me.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 07:36 AM
link   
If it is an old laptop, BIOS updates can reset important settings for things like AHCI in the BIOS

Usually, if a BIOS update is successful, but the drive won't boot, it has something to do with the SATA mode settings

Ensure the update hasn't reset it to a legacy mode

Also check UEFI

If you can't get it to work:

1) On another computer, create a "Universal Restore" boot CD, or a boot USB, using "Acronis True Image" (you install the program on the other computer and there is an option within the software to create a universal restore boot CD/USB)

2) Connect an external HDD or USB drive (other than the boot USB) to make a full backup image of the HDD to

3) Boot Universal Restore from the CD or USB, and create an image of the internal laptop HDD, saved to the other backup USB or HDD

4) Boot Universal Restore again, and this time, restore the backup image, back to the internal Laptop drive

Acronis Universal Restore allows you to restore a complete HDD backup image, to another computer (or in this case, the same computer) using default window settings

This means, after the backup image is restored, it will be your old computer EXACTLY, except that it will boot as if it is the first boot of a new operating system

You will have to reinstall your hardware drivers once you restore it, but this is the easiest way to fix your problem

This is the method I use to migrate customers old operating system, settings and files, over to a new computer

Message me if you have questions or problems
edit on 20 5 22 by Compendium because: Clarified restore process

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join