It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vangelis has passed away

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on May, 19 2022 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Sad news. I always enjoyed his eerie music and thought his creativity was on a different level.

R.I.P. Evángelos

Vangelis, the Greek composer and musician whose synth-driven work brought huge drama to film soundtracks including Blade Runner and Chariots of Fire, has died aged 79.

www.theguardian.com...

edit on 19/5/2022 by Encia22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Encia22

Blade Runner made him famous to me.
Never heard of him or any of his music till then.
Unfortunate. He made some fantastic stuff that I still listen to from time to time.
Will be missed.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Just read this on the BBC, very sad.

He was definitely one of the greatest composers of the 20th century in my opinion.

His only challenge and they were very different but also very similar is Jean Michel Jarre but honestly Vangelis was on a level of his own and actually far better than Jarre though there music does work together very well, Jarre is more famous though for his flashy laser light show concerts before it became the norm while Vangelis was simply quality and straddled the border between classical and modern composition with a blend of classical instruments and modern synthesisers, his music is probably what Beethoven may have come up with had he the same instruments back then.
(not to forget about mike Oldfield but his was very different again).

Let's hope Vangelis is still making music somewhere.

Rest in peace Vangelis, your music shall live on.

(one of my favourites)

edit on 19-5-2022 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 02:10 PM
link   
R.I.P.
So much good music!
When i saw 'The Bounty' in 1984-ish, I bought the soundtrack the next day.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 02:14 PM
link   

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I first heard him in the mid-seventies. There was this obscure music program called ''Music from the Hearts of Space'' that was one of if not the first place to hear ''space music'' or ambiant music. It would play late on Sunday nights when it would not have to vie for expensive commercial time. Vangelis was a staple of those late night hours. I would pull up my bean bag chair and driffffffffffffft.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Vangelis has been my favourite so long, i like to listen his albums in my car and bedtime. One of my favourite album is " Voices".. I would rather listen Vangelis than Mike Oldfield ( he is good too tho )

edit on 19-5-2022 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I first heard him in the mid-seventies. There was this obscure music program called ''Music from the Hearts of Space'' that was one of if not the first place to hear ''space music'' or ambiant music. It would play late on Sunday nights when it would not have to vie for expensive commercial time. Vangelis was a staple of those late night hours. I would pull up my bean bag chair and driffffffffffffft.

I used to listen to Hearts of Space when I was a kid every Sunday night on NPR. The music from Field of Dreams comes to mind I listened to it on Hearts of Space on Sunday night and had to go out and watch the movie.

There is still a beautiful motif from some piece they played one Sunday night that goes through my head. I have no idea what the name of it is, and never heard it since.
edit on 19-5-2022 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-5-2022 by randomuser because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   
His soundtrack to the original Bladerunner was legendary and has followed me through life on all the formats(vinyl,tape,CD,Mp.3 Digital remaster) over the years.
Its haunting and beautiful.

Peace Mr V.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Albedo 0.39 was my first Vangelis album.
I was in school at the time and actually danced to this track (ballet style) to this track... dressed as a weird spaceperson in a tin foil covered full face bike helmet!!! LOL! Long before he wrote the music for Blade Runner......

www.youtube.com...
I also liked Jean Michelle Jarre, Mike Oldfield, Terry Oldfield, but as you said and I agree, Vangelis was the 0th century Beethoven
RIP and thank you for the memories sir!

Sad Rainbows
Jane

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   

With " Aphrodites Child " in the 1960's.

R.I.P.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

With " Aphrodites Child " in the 1960's.

R.I.P.

Vangelis and Demis Roussos in the same band!

I remember them...

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   

edit on 1952022 by Wide-Eyes because: Legendary artist, RIP

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: IamSeekerof

Blade Runner made him famous to me.
Never heard of him or any of his music till then.

Bladerunner - 1982
Chariots Of Fire - 1981

Tears in the rain.....time to die.

Thankyou for all the music Vangelis. Rest In Peace.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:55 PM
link   
So sad, may he Rest In Peace. One of my favorite instrumentals of all time is the theme from Chariots of Fire.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 10:26 PM
link   
One of my favs composers... writing Cosmos, Blade-Runner, or one of a couple dozen other spacey- majestic masterpieces.
It's sad as one ages, looking on as one cultural icon after another shucks off the mortal coil and either evaporates or makes an escape.

At this point, I'd venture that a higher percentage of my preferred artists are moldering, rather than producing.

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Very sad news indeed! R.I.P. Maestro!

posted on May, 20 2022 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Alpha (1976)

posted on May, 23 2022 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Vangelis is the drummer on this track.

Babylon

Fallen fallen fallen
is Babylon the great!