It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst BBQ Ever

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: JAGStorm

What do you use for the sauce?

I've done Korean as a gringo. Soy (tamari), brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, splash of fish sauce, diced Thai chili's, and finish with green onion.

Soy sauce, sesame oil, lots of garlic, Asian pear, black pepper, ginger (just a bit) and a little sugar. That’s it.
I always marinate it overnight. Authentic Korean recipes have very little sugar but these days they put way way too much. Korean people are addicted to salty flavors. They used to highly highly salt the meat so you would only need a tiny bit with your rice. It was called rice thief. Which means, food so savory/salty you have to eat more rice with it.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:34 PM
link   

I lean more towards salt than sugary with anything I do. But I like your method of marinades since it also does a semi brine. That brine can change the texture of the meat when cooking.

The savory seems to be big over all of Asia too. Accomplishing umami, the tricky part is doing it tastefully.

Good tip on the pear too, always good to use natural sugars when possible. Can add complexity too.

I'm not usually a sweet guy, but Asian is usually an exception since it's not just sweet to be sweet. There's more going on in the background. My friend had a birthday dinner a few months back and the desert was mango sticky rice. Jasmine sticky rice, Thai mangos (skinnier and the texture was more delicate), and coconut milk. Definitely made it into my top five desserts. It was sweet and savory because of the coconut milk, and it seemed more natural than some BS cake or something. Incredible.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

I have also heard good things about Q39, but I have never been there.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

It's a very Midwestern thing. Staple at ice rink and carnival concession stands alike. Can't say I've seen it anywhere else.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Korean people are addicted to salty flavors.

lol, the amount of salt in kimchi alone will raise your blood pressure by at least 1000 points.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 06:51 PM
link   
To me the best BBQ (smoked pulled pork, or chicken) can be eaten with zero sauce.

For chain restaurants, Jim n Nicks has pretty good smoked pulled chicken, and Smokey Bones has pretty good pulled pork, but it's been awhile since I've eaten either.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: SirHardHarry

lol, the amount of salt in kimchi alone will raise your blood pressure by at least 1000 points.

Oddly all the Korean people I know/knew have very low blood pressure, myself included!

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I even managed to score a bag of the homemade cracklins'.

There was a place in GA that has a walk through Christmas light display (not sure if they still do), and they had a stand that deep fried cracklin' fresh for you as you waited.

That bucket of pig skin looked disgusting, but them cracklins though...

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 07:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: SirHardHarry

Oddly all the Korean people I know/knew have very low blood pressure, myself included!

Probably have so much generational salt in your system you have to maintain a high intake to regulate it. lol

Not us Americans so much.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I don't honestly have any stand-out horrible BBQ experiences, but I do have a horror story about a Chinese buffet.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
I do have a horror story about a Chinese buffet.

Just one??

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SirHardHarry

When I go out to eat, I do my research. Decent Chinese buffest are everywhere and fairly easy to spot. If you roll up on one on a Friday night during prime dining hours in large city and it's empty like 3pm on a weekday, run away.

Had I been in charge of picking the restaurant, we would not have gone in to begin with, but it was my in-laws doing to selection.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Hi ya Jag...me and the wife see a lot of cooking shows...her a bit more than me...but Im the better cook! we learn a lot form those.

I dont see how your experience couldve even happened if people just watch, discuss, get ideas and try it!

They obviously dont have Internet...or a tv!

Stay well......

PS I do have an apricot honey /french onion soup mix -glaze chicken recipe Im cooking soon!
edit on 05224331America/ChicagoWed, 18 May 2022 22:30:43 -050030202200000043 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

I am with you. I have seen the flavors of both peach and apricot used in grilling, so the overall notion wasn't so far off. I am not sure why baby food though when a quality preserve or just fresh fruit would surely have been better.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 01:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Okay that looked really good.
Made me hungry

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 06:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
It's a very Midwestern thing. Staple at ice rink and carnival concession stands alike. Can't say I've seen it anywhere else.

I am going to point to this nasty concoction as the point where humanity lost its soul.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 07:13 AM
link   

They make a meatless vegan jerky now. Walking tacos is mana from the gods compared to that abomination.

Here is some from Walmart

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Covid didn't kill enough people.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 07:36 AM
link   

I said something quite similar to a telemarketer a few months ago.

posted on May, 19 2022 @ 08:17 AM
link   
a reply to: [post=26502167]ketsuko[/post
edit on 05224931America/ChicagoThu, 19 May 2022 08:18:49 -050018202200000049 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join