It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Worst BBQ Ever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Edumakated
Yeah, sampling his Q is on my bucket list. Haven't been to Charleston in about 10 years, but want to to get back. Some good eating down there....

Rodney was in town when I was there and recommended a few items including the cracklins'.

I swear if I had some acreage, I'd build myself a pit and learn how to cook a whole hog as a hobby.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The Salt Lick in Austin:

The BBQ Shop in Memphis:

Buxton Hall, Ashville, NC:

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Lol @ blue cheese in coleslaw 🤣🤣🤣🤣😁, apricot baby sauce I can’t 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I swear if I had some acreage, I'd build myself a pit and learn how to cook a whole hog as a hobby.

I would let you experiment on me.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: KTemplar

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I almost puked reading your description......

Sorry for your tongue.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Worst chili I ever had was in Wisconsin. The ****hole across from Lambeau Field, I forget the name. Served in the finest Styrofoam cup with packaged cheese, even though it was dine in.

Whatever you do, don’t ever let them talk you into a thing called a Walking Taco.
It sounded good, I like tacos, I like walking, WRONG WRONG WRONG.

They take a bag of Fritos and drop hot chili/taco mix in it and then fill it with cheese (very similar to your cup)
Then hand it to you. It 100% feels like an hot poopy diaper!
I didn’t even try it, it looked so nasty.

I've heard of. started @ Texas high school football games. popular on a cool night.

here in Merryland, chicken bbq is popular. grilled over gas with Cornell sauce (vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning). a lot of fire departments and such make this on weekends as fund raisers.
the challenge is for the breast to be tender, not hard and rubbery.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

There is plenty of good Midwest Q. In KC, try Joe's KC, Arthur Bryant, or Fiorella's Jack Stack. They all leave the saucing to you. In St. Louis, I hit Pappy's every time.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

There is plenty of good Midwest Q. In KC, try Joe's KC, Arthur Bryant, or Fiorella's Jack Stack. They all leave the saucing to you. In St. Louis, I hit Pappy's every time.

I’ve been to Pappy’s a few times as my relatives live in St. Louis. I do like it, but I wouldn’t say it’s in my top 5.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: ColeYounger

Buxton Hall, Ashville, NC:

That one really looks great to me! I like the greens too!

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Considering the depth of knowledge I have of St. Louis, it's my favorite place to eat there. I like their ribs.

Basically, the complaint on midwest BBQ was too much sauce. IMO, if you go to a place that sauces for, you're in the wrong place. Yes, midwest style is about the sauce, but you can't forget the meat to go with it, and the ones I mentioned don't hide the meat. All the sauce is on the table.

There's also a small place in downtown Liberty that's decently good. I can't recall the name right now though.

edit on 18-5-2022 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 02:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Sabretoothrabbit

I see you did not have the Brunswick Stew at the Woody’s on Roosevelt Blvd back in the day (1992-93). Woody and Yolanda raised all kinds of hell with me over what I did because they were convinced that I changed more than I said. Which is true, I didn’t use burnt up scraps of meat and I reduced the water so not as to dilute the spices as much. But the big secret to increasing sales by 700+%, was that I promoted it by giving free bowls to regulars to “try it to see what they thought” out of that first batch. The old “first hit is on me” gambit that paid off big.

If a BBQ place has to sauce their food for you, it isn’t a good BBQ. A very solid rule of thumb even in Memphis and Nashville.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I lived in Colorado for a long time after being born and raised in TX. There was zero good BBQ there.
Moved back to TX recently and am surrounded by the best BBQ around. I have about 10 amazing places I can go to w/in 15 minutes....It is heaven to me

Although, one place has horrible BBQ sauce. The meat is the best, the sauce is gross. I cannot figure out what it is. lol

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

I hope they aren’t doing the baby food trend!

Do you remember it tasting like apricot or prunes?

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Jack Stacks is great. Heading to KC next month for a long weekend. I'm thinking saucy BBQ. Not a fan of saucy ribs. Good meat doesn't need sauce imho. The sauce should be a compliment to the meat, not the main course.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I'm a texas expat. In VA now and one of the things I've missed is good BBQ.... Till now.

We have a legit guy here who always keeps solid BBQ on deck. He even does some more experimental stuff on the side to keep a rotating supplemental menu. He's cased and smoked his own bologna, then sliced thin and fried on a brioche with a smoked cheese sauce. Smoked his own pastrami for ruebens, used the BBQ pork for birria tacos and fluatas.

The place never stops blowing my mind.

General rule of thumb to pre judge a BBQ joint...

Can you smell smoke? If no, not worth it.
Does the establishment look nice? If yes, 90% chance it's not worth it.
Are they open every day with regular hours? Generally they should only be open a few days until sold out, though, this one is 50/50.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Can you smell smoke? If no, not worth it.

I make Korean bbq ribs, It is so delicious it can make a grown man cry.
I can beckon any relative to come home early if I tell them i’m making that.
I think what makes it so delicious is the aroma punching you in the face before you eat it.
My neighbors probably hate me when i make it.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: shaemac

I hope they aren’t doing the baby food trend!

Do you remember it tasting like apricot or prunes?

I cannot remember, but next time I go, I will get it to taste it again and will report back. haha

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Even babies don't seem to like the apricot baby food. We tried it on the daughter, it kind of sucks and I actually tried it to find out why she did not eat it. She was a very smart baby and she still is pretty smart.

posted on May, 18 2022 @ 04:21 PM
link   

What do you use for the sauce?

I've done Korean as a gringo. Soy (tamari), brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, splash of fish sauce, diced Thai chili's, and finish with green onion.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join