It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Places to Live in the U.S. in 2022-2023

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:14 AM
link   
As I look through this list of best places to live in the US, I see many cities like Austin, TX (#13), Portland, OR (#22) and several others that also have record-breaking major crime levels. 12 major cities hitting all time crime highs.

How can you be a top 150 city but also be recording higher levels of homicides? The title is "to Live in", not to die in.

I'm still looking through other crime statistics to see how many of these "Best Places to Live in the US" are also great places to become a victim of a serious crime. I get that a large city is going to have large problems but it seems if you were to put together a list of the "Best Cars to Buy", cars deemed to be lemons shouldn't be on the list. After all, this isn't the Best Large Cities to Live in the US.

Even better, the FBI is stating now that they won't be able to release quarterly crime statistics for 2021 because of police departments failing failing to provide statistics.

The agency noted that it has received data from 9,881 law enforcement agencies, out of a total of 18,818 agencies, for 2021. In order to release the data, the agency required a 60% participation rate. (The agency did make available the non-aggregated data for individual participating cities with populations over 100,000.) “It’s a pretty arbitrary threshold because 60% is completely meaningless. It’s not like 60% means the data is useful and 59% means the data is not useful,” Jacob Kaplan, a criminologist at Princeton University, tells TIME.

To track the numbers that police departments report, the FBI for decades used a system called the Uniform Crime Reporting Program (UCR) to collect data. But in 2021, the Bureau switched to a different system, called the National Incident-Based Reporting System (NIBRS), which provides more details on crimes that are reported. Though the change is meant to improve tracking, this week’s announcement from the FBI highlights what experts say are serious concerns about its impact on crime statistics for years to come.

The problem is that a large portion of police departments do not have the NIBRS system, which is expensive and can be difficult to implement into a department. According to the Bureau of Statistics, it could cost up to $377,000 for a department to switch over to NIBRS and over $53,000 for annual maintenance. According to the FBI, 63% of all police agencies in the country are using the NIBRS system; however, many of the big cities, like New York and Los Angeles, don’t use NIBRS, which means their crime trends will be completely left out of the FBI’s data analysis for 2021, including the annual reports.

Guessing there is a correlation between how many people left the big cities and how badly those big cities need residents to move in. This "150 Best Places" feels more like an ad asking people to come enjoy the big city life, however they leave out a statistic about crime rate. Still looking for more information to include in this.

edit on 17-5-2022 by devilsadvocatetoday because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: devilsadvocatetoday
I'm positive that survey was done by a really woke person that loves the excitement of 'activism' and being part of the 'in' crowd.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Some people value different things in life. Big cities are ok to visit sometimes but I would never want to live in one. That list is for city folk.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I added this after a couple posted, my apologies on the late edit.

Guessing there is a correlation between how many people left the big cities and how badly those big cities need residents to move in. This "150 Best Places" feels more like an ad asking people to come enjoy the big city life, however they leave out a statistic about crime rate. Still looking for more information to include in this.

Starting to think that these major cities are hurting for tax and revenue from residents that aren't living there any longer. Wonder how many "woke" cities and "defund the police" are feeling the affects now.
edit on 17-5-2022 by devilsadvocatetoday because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The people who answer those surveys are the people doing them for in-app money to get "free" upgrades in their mobile app games, while they lay on the couch in their sardine can living quarters, with six room mates.

People who live in the actual nice places don't take those surveys.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:42 AM
link   
wow...they put boulder at #4.

I escaped there and never looking back.
Last time I was through their downtown half of the businesses were empty, the burnt down apartment buildings are still there, and there are more homeless camps by the courthouse.
They keep raising the rents so no one can afford to have a business.

I suppose its a great place to live if you like to only shop from your bedroom , and only go to the (overecrowded) foothills to hike, while stepping around the mountains of dog poop.
And dont forget used needles by the creek...

Is this list paid for by Blackrock?

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   

My alma mater straight up sent out a 'newsletter' that was nothing but an advert for insurance deals!
Hurting for money indeed.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   

San Francisco at #10 LOL.
Homeless camps and human poop maps.

What a joke.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I guess it depends on what factors are used for the rankings and what an individual values.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   
That list was outsourced and off-shored .

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   
You should read the whole title:

Best places to live in the US in 2022-2023 if you want Government hand outs.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
wow...they put boulder at #4.

And Sarasota, FL at #9. I've got a number of Suncoast places under my belt (having grown up Suncoast) and I LMFAO every time someone seriously thinks SRQ is affordable & a great place to live. It's only a great place to live if you're wealthy, otherwise you cannot afford it. Lack of state income tax aside, I doubt anyone wants to shell out for $1000+ for a one-room tin roof ghetto shacks in Newtown.
Because that's the most affordable thing you're getting.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I live in northern Idaho, and Boise has now become the LEAST affordable place in the COUNTRY to live, 2 years ago you could buy a 3 bedroom for 250k

Now 2 bedrooms are going for over 400k its freaking ridiculous

Rent for a regular 2 bed 1 bath house is climbing upwards of 1800 a month or more and thats not in prime locations thats just IN GENERAL

What the GOV and these big banks are doing is a crime

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: optimisticcontrarian
I live in northern Idaho, and Boise has now become the LEAST affordable place in the COUNTRY to live, 2 years ago you could buy a 3 bedroom for 250k

Now 2 bedrooms are going for over 400k its freaking ridiculous

Rent for a regular 2 bed 1 bath house is climbing upwards of 1800 a month or more and thats not in prime locations thats just IN GENERAL

What the GOV and these big banks are doing is a crime

Those price changes are similar to portland....maine.

If you think that comes anywhere near the least affordable place in the country, you've not looked at any major city. those prices would be considered bargain basement in any major city even ten years ago while we were recovering from the last real estate crash

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

If you think that comes anywhere near the least affordable place in the country, you've not looked at any major city

its not an opinion

Boise least affordable housing market in the US

Again least affordable in the US

Ada county Idaho least affordable
edit on 17-5-2022 by optimisticcontrarian because: (no reason given)

Im a real-estate agent I dont talk out of my arse about housing markets, you clearly havent been looking around the US on what real pricing is like for home buying and affordability

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 08:12 PM
link   

I believe these cities PAY to be on these lists....just like book publishers and authors PAY to be on the top book seller lists....along with buying up their own books.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Those lists are such BS. San Fransisco is #10? Is it assuming everyone a pretentious $%#$ that makes 130k? Come to wonderful San Fransisco. There are 5 disposed heroin syringes for every mentally ill person yelling at a parking meter. No.

I roll my eyes at those subjective rankings. Everyone overblows expensive gentrified liberal hellholes.

"Okay, what do we have to do to keep the bay area in these rankings?"

Austin often ranks at the top and ahead of most Texas Cities. I guess for being as expensive as California? Or maybe for being the original less annoying version of Portland?

So much bias in those.
edit on 17-5-2022 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Green Bay WI came in #3! Now that is an exception to many of the cities on this list. Green Bay is a wonderful city, very pretty. Only thing is very long cold winters, but everything else about it is great. I live about 30 miles southwest of Green Bay. Rents and home prices around here tend to much less expensive than other metro areas. There are a lot of things to do all year around.

Again, if you can’t handle cold weather and don’t like winter, don’t come here. Gotta be able to handle the cold.

new topics

top topics

join