It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Return of the Kids in the Hall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   
Stumbled across their interview about the series on Amazon, they were still pretty funny but damn how did they get so old, and Im still 25?

Just a couple of episodes in and it takes some getting acclimated too, but there are some decent sketches so far, "Im Crushing your Head guy makes a return, Scott Thompson brings back Buddy Cole, and the "Last Glory Hole". They even indirectly skewered Toobin's CNN Zoom meeting incident.

but watch episode 3's "wishing Shakespeare alive" and the reoccurring Friends of the "Kids in the Hall" and a decent skit about 'cultural appropriation"

Overall it's good enough for a watch if just for the nostalgia factor, I really enjoyed the interviews too.

That said I've started re-watching the original series again, it's been a while, it's really still hilarious and there are a lot of sketches they couldn't or wouldn't do now, Foley even admitted as such, and what a shame that we have become so sensitive to satire. Basically, as I understood it, part of being accepted as normal is also accepting satire about yourselves and your quirks and personalities.

What is funnier, ultimately, than the slow march of time toward inevitable death? The Kids in the Hall, the wildly influential Canadian sketch-comedy group that began in the ’80s, have known this from the start. Death, Kids member Dave Foley says, is “inherently funny, because it negates everything else. Death is the one thing that should remind you that absolutely everything else about life is absurd.” But comedy based in a deep sense of semi-nihilistic absurdism takes on a different quality when the Kids are no longer kids.

The idea of a revived Kids in the Hall series, like so many other revivals of the past decade, comes packaged with intense trepidation. What if that nervy, surreal absurdism is blunted by nostalgic fondness? Is it possible to look back in celebration, without undercutting the past or, worse, being smugly self-congratulatory? Let’s also be honest: Who can truly feel confident that their male comedic heroes of the past are not at any moment about to reveal themselves to be anti-cancel-culture prophets, railing against political correctness and censorship?

The Kids, now around 60 years old, are still obsessed with absurdity and the inevitability of endings. If anything, they’re even sillier and darker than before.

edit on 15-5-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 07:01 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6
The chicken lady was hilarious! I found this list with the top 25 sketches. It is missing one that should be on the list. It is a sketch, where a couple invites their friends over for dinner. After dinner they break out a bag of pot confiscated from their teenagers room. So funny! Here is the list.

www.vulture.com...

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Backagain
The chicken lady was hilarious! I found this list with the top 25 sketches. It is missing one that should be on the list. It is a sketch, where a couple invites their friends over for dinner. After dinner they break out a bag of pot confiscated from their teenagers room. So funny! Here is the list.

www.vulture.com...

Ah man, the Chicken Lady was a favorite, it never fails to make me laugh, Im hoping they do a version in this season

In the interview, it sounds like it's just one season 8 episodes total.

let's just say even at 60 years or older they are better than 99% of SNL'S current stuff

The little things they had Bruce McCullough as "Super Drunk" and he took 7 shots of Jaegermeister and started singing "These are the Daves I know I know" another classic
edit on 15-5-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 09:19 AM
link   
The "Daves I Know" is a classic. " Ham Of Truth" is also great.

"Parents try to put me down, just because fine ham abounds"

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
this always cracked me up too.

posted on May, 15 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   

My pen! You've got my pen!

new topics

top topics

join