It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oenophiles of ATS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I know alcohol is generally frowned upon in circles promising some sort of spiritual awakening or "ascension" to whatever density or dimensions that trip ones trigger.

I also know that it can cause individuals to become beholden to their baser and more animalistic urges with it's lowering of inhibitions. I understand it has additive potential, but most things can be abused if used inappropriately.

However it is very possible to imbibe as a mature adult and enjoy the effects without trashing a hotel room led zeppelin style or acting like a generaIized ass.

It's always baffled me as to why biblical literalist fundie christians are so against alcohol when one of Jesus' core miracles was turning water into wine. Makes no sense to me. Anyway,

i am a big fan of wine and the subsequent shine of happiness it gives me after a few glasses and the overall increase in well being vino can produce.

My question to other wine drinkers is simple:

What is your favorite grape (or blend)?

I personally love Nebbiolo; a tannic and tobacco tasting Barolo is my go to red. If we are drinking white, I have to go with an oaked burgundy. If we go new world, I like Russian river and Willamette Pinot Noirs.

What do you all like to drink?

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: gkskg

Growing up, as I did, about 50 miles south of the Napa valley, I suppose it was almost inevitable that I would become an oenophile. When I was younger I was totally enamored of the Big Reds-- Cabernet, Merlot and, of course the local favorite, Zinfandel. California also produces some excellent Big Red Italian style wines like Barbera and Sangiovese.

Unfortunately, as I got older I found I could no longer tolerate the high tannin levels of the Big Reds, so these days I am consigned to drinking whites and roses. Probably my favorites right now are California Gewurtztraminers (much better fruit than the German versions) and French Rhone blends. New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs are also always on my rotation list.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 01:05 PM
link   

I never goes to parties anymore, so I made my own routine to get my buzz on.

Every late friday night when the kids have been put to bed, my controlled abuse start

Friday and only friday I have myself one bottle of Rosé wine, the brand does not matter, I just need my friday Rosé buzz and if the typical notes of strawberries, cherries, raspberries, Flowers, Citrus and Melon.
I like it sweet and cold.. My friday tradition started with red wine, but I find rosé more refreshing and not so heavy. Some might call it a girly drink because of the color, but in my world it it is my poison of choice.

Was speculating if I should make a "Rosé friday sinners club" here on ATS, where we can post a picture of the rosé we are about to enjoy.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   

I have a nice collection of French Bordeaux, Burgundy and Chateauneuf, Italian Tuscans, Nebbiolo, Aglianico and Venezian wines. I also won't dump out most California Cabs or PNW Pinots.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
Was speculating if I should make a "Rosé friday sinners club" here on ATS, where we can post a picture of the rosé we are about to enjoy.

Sancerre.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I don't know Jack about wine, but I know what I like. I'm a simple man and my prefferd wine is pinot noir, merlot, and white merlot. man do I love that white merlot though.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

Guy Mousset Cotes Du Rhone Rose, 2020

"Beverage Dynamics-Cotes du Rhone, Rhone, France - Quintessential refreshing rose with an edge to hit showing its genuine depth. This zesty and zippy wine dances across the palate with notes of citrus, strawberry, and green apple..."

I find its pretensions amusing.

But then again, my wife finds MY pretensions amusing, so I guess it's a fair trade.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

My wife and I just went to a tasting for a producer from the Rhone Valley with a few appellations around Avignon. Very delicious.

Yeah, it's in your bones growing up that close to Napa. I am in the process of aging some Cab from Napa ( Knights Valley ). I ordered 5 gallons of frozen must last year and I have a little oak barrel on a shelf waiting until winter.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: 1947boomer

Guy Mousset Cotes Du Rhone Rose, 2020

"Beverage Dynamics-Cotes du Rhone, Rhone, France - Quintessential refreshing rose with an edge to hit showing its genuine depth. This zesty and zippy wine dances across the palate with notes of citrus, strawberry, and green apple..."

I find its pretensions amusing.

But then again, my wife finds MY pretensions amusing, so I guess it's a fair trade.

Noted, sounds delicious and refreshing, just looked it up.. and the price is also easy to get down, might have a sip

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Rosé is absolutely delicious. Especially now that we are hitting the warm afternoons in the northern hemisphere. Very crisp and has a huge array of pairings and taste profiles.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That is quite a stellar cellar. I just picked up a real tasty Chateauneuf. I also just bought a Costco Signature Kirkland Chateauneuf for a fraction of the price. Might have to do a side by side blind tasting to see if I can tell the difference. Hahahaha

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Ummm...I usually only imbibe alcohols/alcoholic beverages I have personally created/crafted...I find the whole process fascinating...and the end result extremely enjoyable...

Much better than the products found on the shelf...much better...

YouSir
edit on 11-5-2022 by YouSir because: I really detest misspelling three letter words...

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Lichter daraus

I just started learning about wine in depth in the last few years and there is no shame in knowing what you like.

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 04:37 PM
link   
A few years back my wife and I were on a European vacation and decided to drive the length of the Rhone river from its source at the Rhone glacier at Grimselpass to its mouth in the Camargue. The theory was that we were looking for possible whitewater/float kayaking opportunities on the river and its tributaries. We took about a week or so as I recall and didn't really find much in the way of kayaking, but of course we were "forced" to go through Lyon, Valence, Orange, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Avignon, Arles, Nimes, etc., etc. sampling the wine along the way. That's when I became an honorary "Rhone Ranger" wino (oops, I mean oenophile).

posted on May, 11 2022 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I love all kinds of wine. My favorite is Chardonnay, particularly from California. I also really like a good Pinot Grigio or Vouvray. I actually had an $8 bottle of Vouvray from France, and it was delicious. Not a fan of Sauvignon Blanc, tastes too much like grass and rocks to me. I like White Zinfandel as well as Red Zinfandel. I love me a good Merlot and my favorite red, Cabernet Sauvignon. But since I get migraines, I’m very careful with my red wine consumption. I can take the occasional sip of red, but not much more than that. I’ve tries some different Rose’s, and like them too. I’ve tried wine from Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. I like to change it up and experiment with different kinds. Sometimes I’m browsing at the store and see something I think I’ll like. Much of the time I really do like it. There’s something about drinking a glass of wine that takes me to a different place. It’s kind of a zen thing.

posted on May, 17 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Im not a huge wine consumer. The market moved towards spirits over the last 10 years pretty heavily, so im not even selling that much wine outside of the sweet stuff for the ladies. If im drinking, i prefer dry but not acidic. Most pinot noir and cab work for red. Never merlot. Pinot grigio or chard for white.

Bourbon...im pretty well informed on. And drink lots of (well, im cutting down).

new topics

top topics

join