It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite Paranormal Porky Pies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   
I would like to discuss which tales of the paranormal people consider to be among their favorites, but not-likely-to-be-true.

So, a disclaimer is in order. Of course, if we're not actually a witness to a paranormal event, we can never know for certain what the witnesses experienced. But sometimes, one wonders if there were actually any witnesses at all, as in the tale was completely made up. Even so: we can still enjoy such stories even if we don't believe they really happened.

I should note in my life I've experienced a couple of odd events, so I am not one to airily dismiss claims of paranormal activity. I suppose it is one of those things in which every one has to draw a line about what they consider believable or not.

So, I'll kick off with one that I've found intriguing for years, but am not convinced that anything like this actually happened.

============

Gadianton Canyon. This is the tale of the four girls, in 1972, driving to their university in Utah who purportedly managed to drive into a parallel universe, reemerging after an unspecified amount of time that "sounds like" half an hour or so. Reportedly, a state trooper took their report. But I've never seen the names of the witnesses specified or anyone offering a police report (or any other evidence) regarding this claimed incident. Doesn't help that a "Gadianton Canyon" doesn't seem to exist, at least on USGS topo maps of the area in question.

Regardless: it is a great story. Tales of parallel universes, trips through time, and the like are at the least entertaining, and often thought-provoking. When one is outdoors alone, the sensation that "things can happen" is heightened. Many of us have taken road trips through desolate areas; hearing a well maintained motor doing its thing is a nice bit of reassurance that keeps us tethered to "this world".

So which paranormal events do you think are bogus, yet enjoyable in their own right?

Cheers

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

The Skinwalker Ranch does it for me.

The story of the herd locked inside a shed?
A huge wolf that ate up bullets? Or a portal opened up and said wolf entered it?

Hugely enjoyable tale, but show me the evidence.

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Yeah, the huge wolf was an interesting bit in that series of reports.

I wonder what Bigelow's group was up to there.

Cheers

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I’m partial to this guy. Wish I could post a pic……..

The Sandown Clown was a strange being encountered by two young children vacationing at Lake Common, Sandown, Isle of Wight (UK) in May of 1973. Following a sound like an ambulance siren, the children wandered across a footbridge over a stream, and met a curious, unidentifiable being that has been described as

"a cross between a clown, a robot, and an alien".

It was a shy, but friendly being, and spoke kindly to the children for almost half an hour before they returned to their parents. It seemingly vanished after the encounter, and has never been seen again.

posted on May, 6 2022 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Here you go.

I recall reading about this long ago. Interesting to say the least!

Cheers

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 01:58 AM
link   
The 'genre' of entity encounters has colorful reports.

Some of the reports are genuinely unnerving. Others are simply odd (like 'Sam' above).

I'm trying to recall one I read of years ago. It concerned a woman at home in England who had her home invaded by a group of small entities, who, while not dangerous, behaved rudely before they left. I think the date of the event was sometime in the 1950s or 1960s.

Of course, those sort of reports are right up the alley of Vallée's work, "Passport to Magonia". How many of the old tales were reports of interaction with paranormal phenomena?

Cheers

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 09:28 AM
link   
One aspect of porky pie-dom is not an individual report, but rather an entire genre.

Nazi bases in Antarctica after the fall of the Reich. Achtung

These ones are messy because at some point reality smears into fantasy, but it is difficult to say at which point that happens.

Suffice it to say, many Nazis did escape capture, there was a "rat line" operated with the help of the Vatican, and the Nazis were working on advanced weapons and technologies when the Reich collapsed.

"Reportedly" (choose your reports, much like poison) Admiral Byrd was sent to Antarctica in 1946 to whip up on a Nazi base there, but got beaten instead.

The fog around these tales isn't helped by the weirdness of government high-rankers traveling to Antarctica for whatever reason(s).

Yet, Neuschwabenland was a real thing. But was / is there more there than ice, snow, and a research station or two?

Cheers
edit on 7-5-2022 by F2d5thCavv2 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2
You and I know what "porkies" are, but the Americans are going to be confused.

posted on May, 7 2022 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Hi Dis,

Yeah, I guess the inoffensive American version would be "tall tales".

Cheers

new topics

top topics

join