It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jehovas witness letter and $500

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Yesterday was a bit of a stressful one for me.

Right from the get go yesterday was ruined.
I woke up in the morning.
Sat down with my morning coffee.
Then inadvertently sent a tame, yet provocative, work site wide email and wondering if anyone was going to take it the wrong way.

Well today started off with a complete 180
Dropped my kids off at school.
Someone in front of me at the coffee drive through paid for my order.
I get home by 9:15 am and my mail box was open.

My mail man usually doesn’t come around this B till noon on most days.
Maybe he peed the bed or something. But for once he was here early.

I grab the mail and I have 3 letters addressed to me.

First one had just a local address as the sender.
I open it up and what do I see?
A hand written letter.
I begin to read it over and it turns out some fine Jehovas witnesses had invited me to attend a …sermon? A prayering?
An invitation to their church regardless.
And into the junk pile it went.

Open the next letter.
This one was a reimbursement cheque from the MTO for $260.
We no longer have to pay licensing fees here in Ontario and have been reimbursed for the past 2 years.

I open the next letter and this one was the shocker.
A $250 cheque for a Gift Card class action lawsuit.
It was posted to Twitter last year that anyone who bought prepaid gift cards between such and such date was entitled to a piece of the lawsuit pie.

I just estimated that I bought 5 or 6 gift cards for my kids during that time.
No receipts nothing.
Filled out the online form and boom!
1 year later I get $250 bones.

Then because my daughter pretended to be sick this morning, she stayed home from school.
At around 11 am the Lord performed a miracle and she was up and walking and moaning about being hungry.
So we went out for lunch and I had the most wonderful burger and sweet potato fries.

But ya, todays been damn good day!
I hope you all had a good one also.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Wow, that's a nice reimbursement check! I filled out one of those class-action forms once and when the check showed up years later it was for 47 cents.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82My days going ok, but still have those days where it's a total washout bummer day. I yet to have a glorious rewarding day like the one you just described. But it does feel good to know someone else prospered the day today.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Also I might add. I've applied for a few class settlements and got little. I wish I was in on the gift card CAS. Wow!
edit on 2-5-2022 by INnEedOfgOD because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Love it! Good days are the best!

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

I was honestly expecting something ridiculous like that also.

Pretty surprised to see over $200 there.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I've been getting handwritten letters from the JW, too. I don't think they are going to people's houses these days.

posted on May, 2 2022 @ 10:48 PM
link   
We had some older Jehovahs come over once a week for a year and we discussed their religion. They were not pushy at all...I guess I assumed that they were going to be fanatics or something...but the ones we know are actually just regular people who go do their stuff at church. They were in their eighties when they used to come over. A few years ago the guy died, during covid of course, but he died from a heart attack or something..nothing to do with covid at all. His wife still sends us some things and calls occasionally, we got to know their kids too. This summer we will have to go over and visit her and her daughter who lives a block away.....I like them.

I was wrong with my belief that they are pushy and pesty, they are just trying to open up people's eyes to a simpler life...a life that does not include the programmed rat race that we live in. I would really like to go see some Ahmish people someday and talk to them and maybe check out their farm and lend them a hand with their farms for a few days. I actually like farming...grew up on a farm and it is nostalgic. Even at sixty six with epilepsy, I could still work on a farm. If I go out in the woods away from all the electrical signals, my head settles down. The head noise that I use to judge the state of my epilepsy risk goes right away.

I will no longer judge anyone by religion, I know people who are religious that are great people and I know some from the same churches that are just there to look better or to increase people coming to their stores to shop. That was evident to me even when I was young. I grew up Lutheran, but then visited lots of different churches over the years and I have to admit, the Jehovahs seem to have more right than most of the other churches. I never joined their church, I was never even asked to, they said if I was interested, I could join if I wanted to but did not have to join if I did not want to and could still come to services and any kind of events they had. I made it clear to the older people that came to our house that I wanted to learn about their church, but that I believe in god and the goodness that Christianity is supposed to express and not religion. I told them if I joined a church it would mean I chose one religion over another which is a type of judgement...something we are not supposed to be doing. I see so much bias between the churches, I do not want to get tangled up in it. Religions tend to try to own god, they want to choose what they believe....their version of god is what matters to them and they judge others if their beliefs differ.

I actually thought the Jehovahs were going to be bad, they are not, the ones I met were not judgemental. They said it was not their job to judge, but that does not mean they have to believe in people's desire to do things against the religion base. The only thing I did seem to have a problem with is that the guy is responsible to spread the religion but maybe in some ways that is good, since most times the guy is the one who strays and that gives them incentives to stay in the church. But that is changing now, it seems like women stray a lot too in our society...most times the ones getting in trouble years ago were guys.

posted on May, 3 2022 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

That’s actually pretty cool.

And yes it would be interesting to meld into Amish life for a week just to see what it’s like.

top topics

join