It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Desantis be Voted out Due to his Disney Gamble?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

To me, that the article states taht Disney claims that florida "can't do jack" and its business as usual tells me that this is a super slanted piece that conveys propaganda and not information.

What should we take fromt his other than public sentiment is being built against DeSantis?

Im a fan of the guy, don't get me wrong. But im VERY wary of cult like status. A legislature that said "you draw the district map and we will ratify it" comes awful close to that cult like status for me. Abrogating tasks in government should raise concerns at all levels.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:08 AM
link   

No, I don't think he will. He will most likely be the Republican nominee, unless they are dumb enough to run Trump again, and if he is the nominee will end up being President.

link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

originally posted by: TzarChasm

An honest question;

Why is it the role of government to help poor people?

Why do we always run to government if we're in trouble?

Why can't people be held accountable for themselves?

What happened to personal responsibility?

Empathy and leadership, but that's just a guess.

You're ignoring my point.

I'm not talking about empathy and caring and leadership FROM government, I'm asking why PEOPLE expect government to care for them.

I think I answered your point very succinctly but whatever. Let's try again.

PEOPLE expect the government to "care for them" because the same reasons 9000 people expected the government to rescue them from Afghanistan. That's a responsibility you continue to harp on about (for good reason) but citizens within our borders are undeserving and should sink or swim by their own means? Fascinating.

So you equate deliberately abandoning 9000 Americans to people being poor and wanting government bailouts?

And you equate national poverty, starvation, disease and crime with mental illness and depravity in the lower class society? Those who don't earn or contribute deserve to suffer and perish?

If you’re going to put words in my mouth at least do me the favor of logging in as me.

I’ll pm you my password

Deflection.

My point is, our leadership is obligated to protect BOTH the citizens stranded in Afghanistan and the citizens who are struggling to sustain the bare minimum lifestyle within our borders. If neither of those groups are being protected then our nation has lost its status and we're no better than our enemies, we just suck for different reasons.

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
As of the most recent poll, he still had a 60% approval rating. Obviously that will drop when the ramifications of the Disney decision hit. But I don't even lnow if the full effects of that will be felt before November.

Unless something drastic happens, I don't see DeSantis losing reelection. Then when he runs for President he can campaign on putting Disney in their place and not have to worry about hidde it negatively affects his constituents.

There's no reason for DeSantis to leave his governor position for the presidency. He's doing a brilliant job where he is.

edit on 29-4-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

link   

An honest question;

Why is it the role of government to help poor people?

Why do we always run to government if we're in trouble?

Why can't people be held accountable for themselves?

What happened to personal responsibility?

Empathy and leadership, but that's just a guess.

You're ignoring my point.

I'm not talking about empathy and caring and leadership FROM government, I'm asking why PEOPLE expect government to care for them.

Because of that little dustup called a revolution a few years back. Here's the "vision statement" that explains why we had the dustup:

"We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

One could argue that when society has extreme wealth inequality the Union is imperfect, unjust, probably not domestically tranquil, and doesn't promote general welfare.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

No, I don't think he will. He will most likely be the Republican nominee, unless they are dumb enough to run Trump again, and if he is the nominee will end up being President.

I agree with all that.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:17 AM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

PERSON: Why won't government help me! I'm poor!

ME: How did you get that way?

PERSON: Poor life decisions, drugs, alcohol, my major in Gender Studies, and Starbucks won't pay me 100 dollars an hour!

ME: Aaaand you want government to bail you out?

link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Here is more info. The article breaks it down even more, none of it would be good for the state. Here are a few snippets.

Disney, however, noticed, and the Reedy Creek Improvement District quietly sent a note to its investors to show that it was confident the Legislature’s attempt to dissolve the special taxing district operating the 39-square mile parcel it owned in two counties violated the “pledge” the state made when it enacted the district in 1967, and therefore was not legal.

“They could try to argue that this pledge was invalid, that they could not contract it away,” Schumer said. “I don’t think that would work. But states usually aren’t in the business of arguing that their own promises are bad.”
The state could also pass a different law that acknowledges Disney’s right to the bonds and then take the assets using its eminent domain powers and pay off the bondholders using those assets, he said.

But that poses another problem for the state, Randolph said.

By giving Disney a year to resolve this, the company could shed its assets by giving its power plant and its water utility to Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake. Without those assets, Disney reduces its tax bill when the state dissolves Reedy Creek, he said.

“Disney has more power now to determine its tax bill than it did a week ago,” he said. “That’s what’s crazy to me. They want to punish Disney, but this is the furthest thing from that. You literally put them in the driver’s seat of how much they want to pay.”

Tampa Bay Times

Whether they did this for theater, or just missed it in the agreement, I don't know. I also read somewhere else that when all said and done this wouldn't be cleared up and paid until 2029.
edit on 29-4-2022 by frogs453 because: Forgot part of the article

link   

Desantis is using the SAME playbook as Trump.

Remember all that about making Mexico pay for the wall.................ANYONE??? Crickets?!

Now Desantis is saying Disney will pay for the bonds and the taxpayers won't... Some people will believe anything they hear.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: KathyHapney

This right here. I'm in Florida as well. Love our governor. Unlike other states he treats us like adults who can make our own decisions. And Disney can F off sideways. There are better attractions around with less pedophiles.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:23 AM
link   

A large number of that is also senior citizens living on social security and disability.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

PERSON: Why won't government help me! I'm poor!

ME: How did you get that way?

PERSON: Poor life decisions, drugs, alcohol, my major in Gender Studies, and Starbucks won't pay me 100 dollars an hour!

ME: Aaaand you want government to bail you out?

My only reference for "how to be a good American" is the Constitution, which 1947boomer helpfully supplied. None of what you said is relevant to the core values of our nation.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:32 AM
link   

If you can show me in the Constitution where it is the job of government to bail out people that have made bad life choices, I will apologize and shave my head.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:35 AM
link   

That is fantastic that you pay for your own property taxes, if/when they go up 20%+ I'll be curious how you feel about Desantis.

I will be more curious how the idiotic left is going to handle it when the taxes don't go up 20%+ like Bidens predicted winter of death that never came.

The democrats have done the impossible and even exceeded the neocons fear mongering strategies when it came to warmongering to a point they have even made the republicans blush.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Nobody really knows what is going to happen, it is a delicate game of chicken between the government and a mega corp.
One thing we know is always true, in the end the people suffer and pay the price.

We'll see, but I doubt this will be any different.

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Desantis is using the SAME playbook as Trump.

Remember all that about making Mexico pay for the wall.................ANYONE??? Crickets?!

Now Desantis is saying Disney will pay for the bonds and the taxpayers won't... Some people will believe anything they hear.

1. I never agreed with the wall and felt it was the most expensive and the most ineffective solution to keep illegals out.

2. Unlike Trump Desantis is not a dumb guy that can be easily played despite the democrats wants.

3. Unlike Mexico, Disney is a business inside the US and them walking away would cost them dearly. They are going to have to play ball and foot a good portion of the bill via taxes just like any other business entity .

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

Here

Disney's most significant benefit from the arrangement was not financial but rather the autonomy to develop the 25,000 acres it owns in Central Florida without much of the oversight other developers typically have.

Though the deal provided Disney with several privileges, it did not make the theme park tax-exempt. Disney World contributed more than $780 million in state and local taxes in fiscal year 2021, according to a company disclosure.

"There’s this perception that Reedy Creek somehow gave Disney property tax breaks," said Scott Randolph, Orange County’s tax collector. "It does not do that."

edit on 29-4-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

link   

it is a delicate game of chicken between the government and a mega corp.

Now you sound like a republican thinking there is an actual difference between gov't and the mega corps / private sector.

The gov't is just a tool under the control of the Mega corps. The will of the gov't is the will of the mega corps.

edit on 59430America/ChicagoFri, 29 Apr 2022 11:59:12 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

link   

the same reasons 9000 people expected the government to rescue them from Afghanistan.

You mean 9,000 Afghanis who just happened to have an American passport, don'tcha?

The government damned sure never had a damned thing to do with me getting away from any craphole anywhere.

Somebody should have been asking those people, "What were you doing here?"

And if the answer was "Living" ... tell them to GTFO.

Lived in Florida a long lotta years. Disney never did anything for me that I could feel. In fact, it's well known that the price of gas down there is to tax the tourists. I always thought it ironic that that gas tax was applied all damned year long and tourists are only there for a week or so.

Disney ain't gettin' over anymore. Screw 'em!!

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:50 AM
link   

I live here. Next to Orange County. This is all BS. All of it. Look up the current mayor of Orlando, in Orange County as well as who his wife it. It will give you all the information you need to see this is a smear and nothing more.

The mouse has gotten away with this for decades. The argument right now is that Orange County will have to foot their bill for taxes. Not true. More propoganda.

DeSantis has already stated he will stay governor and will not run in 2024. He will run in 2028 I am sure.

He is one of, if not the best, in the nation at leading a state.
edit on Apram30amf0000002022-04-29T11:52:00-05:001100 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Look up in Osceola, just south of Orange and East of WD, and you will find the Kissimmee/St Cloud/Lake Nona area which is one of the fastest growing areas in the nation.

FL is not just old people retiring anymore and a lot of those older folks have now left their homes to kids and grandkids and the entire state dynamic is changing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join