It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise Surprise People are leaving the Cities in Droves

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   
finance.yahoo.com...

Americans are moving out of urban counties like never before

Exurban counties saw the biggest increase across the board, with about 80% gaining population. These counties are defined as areas with "a population smaller than 50,000, at least 25 percent of their population in a large or medium-sized suburb, and must be in a metro with a population of 500,000 or higher.”

I've never been a city mouse, and can't understand how people can live on top of each other, with no fresh air, man-made noise all hours of the day and night. That's just me.

People really just wanted to get out of the city, and even suburbs in some cases.
Someone mentioned a reason it in the comments of the article, but it is never mentioned in the article itself. People were already moving PRE pandemic due to crime. I think this is spot on but nobody is talking about it. Crime is bleeding into the suburbs too and everyone is sick of it.
You think the cities were food deserts before, just wait, they haven't seen anything yet. All that migration is moving tax dollars. Those tax dollars are going to have a profound impact on schools, services and just about everything. With all the people migrating, businesses in the cities are failing. I've seen it in the few i've visited. It's real. They need peopl with the means are leaving and they are taking their buying dollars with them.

I think we are going to see some really crazy things in the not so distant future with all this change. Is this a land grab for real estate in the cities? Cities almost always come back, investors can be very patient. How will this impact farmland especially smaller indepenent ones? I know by me, they are dissappearing one by one. Another big concern for rural areas is resources like water... We love our wells out here, but aquifers can only support so many houses. Long standing rural areas are being transformed overnight with all the new transplants, a lot of time, it's not for the better.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Which causes taxes and fees for those who remain behind to increase dramatically, due to crooks being in charge and needing specific levels of revenue.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

Which causes taxes and fees for those who remain behind to increase dramatically, due to crooks being in charge and needing specific levels of revenue.

That was on our news. I do feel for the elderly and people that can't leave, a lot of them are going to really be in a situation soon. More taxes and less services!

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I think some of these urban areas are trying to expand their city limits to incorporate some of the refugees, who are fighting same.
(sorry no source, I've just heard and read stuff)

I anticipate a fair amount of 'white flight' racist accusations
and state Boards of Education trying to redistrict / refinance.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 12:43 PM
link   

What's crazy is how the Biden infrastructure plan pumped money into the cities to rebuild and repair streets that are sparsely populated now.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
I think some of these urban areas are trying to expand their city limits to incorporate some of the refugees, who are fighting same.
(sorry no source, I've just heard and read stuff)

I anticipate a fair amount of 'white flight' racist accusations
and state Boards of Education trying to redistrict / refinance.

Oh that is ABSOLUTELY happening. They are redistricting all over the place!

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 02:18 PM
link   
City living can be fun. I also enjoy country living.

When I was younger, I liked living in an area with a lot of things to do from dining out at varying restaurants to shows to museums to parks, etc. However, as I've gotten older, I am starting to prefer country living. I just want space, peace and quiet, fresh air, etc. The crime and foolishness of city living is starting to get intolerable.... thugs, homeless, constant govt fees (parking, taxes, etc)... just don't really want to deal with it anymore.

Only thing that really keeps me in the city is young kids and wife. If it were just me, I'd have a cabin in Tenn, North GA, or Western NC most likely. Just want a little place up in the mountains on maybe 20 to 40 acres. End of the road seclusion, so I can set up my prepper compound and check out from this clown show society.

I figure I can go to the big city a few times a year if I need to for enjoyment.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 02:27 PM
link   
The timing is right for it, move far away from cities, make a underground shelter, fill it with water and food.
And when it is time to rebuild please remember to make the right choices when choosing a leader/leaders.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 02:32 PM
link   

DeSantis mentioned this in the news in Florida and as usual it was taken out of content, the problem is that many are from democrat strong holds and they run away from crime infected cities, but at the same time they bring the same ideologies and way of thinking that actually made their communities struggle now, voting for the same crap over and over again, knowing that they are no good for their cities and state.

Maybe democrats now can use the "free space" to house the almost two million illegals that they have allowed to cross the border.

Cheap labor, free housing and the recycle of poverty goes on and on, nothing but imported poverty into the nation.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: carewemust

That was on our news. I do feel for the elderly and people that can't leave, a lot of them are going to really be in a situation soon. More taxes and less services!

you should feel sorry for them. after all this is not the first time that this has happened. in fact, this is what caused exactly what you said. and is the cause of once great cities like Detroit and Chicago become the hellholes they were in the 80's (things have improved quite a bit until apparently now). because just as you say, everyone that can moved out, leaving the poor to pay for all those social services, police, fire, government etc. and even now you will see this caused those cities such as Chicago, and Detroit to become pretty much bankrupt. because of course they can't get enough money from the poor to pay for everything. and this is one reason for giving huge corporations major tax breaks, such as paying no tax, to lure those businesses into their territory hoping to achieve two things. those being to lure people with more money back, so they can be taxed. as well as to bring in jobs, so that hopefully they can get jobs for some of their people, so they can collect more tax money from them.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I think the major Tier 1 cities are going to experience a decline. Tier cities are LA, Chicago, NYC, San Fran, DC, & Boston. People are leaving these cities in droves due to the crime and high cost of living. They are migrating to smaller regional cities - Nashville, Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Miami, etc.

Smaller cities that aren't doing well are very liberal strongholds like Portland, Seattle, and Austin.

These major cities will probably revert back to how they were in the 70s/80s. Depressing and high crime. It will probably stay that way until a new generation decides living in cities is cool and hip. Of course, the wild card now though is how technology enabling remote working will factor in since you no longer need to be in the big city to work.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 05:53 PM
link   
In my semi-rural area, two plots that used to be old growth trees sold. Two huge houses went up; all of us are on well systems for water. First thing they did was restrict the private road that connects both houses and a public access trail that locals used to be able to walk on; fair enough, private property. Second thing they did was both households erected huge fences around their properties and installed floodlight security systems that now destroy the rural darkness and movement of animals; fair enough, private property. Third thing one of them did was to hack down every single tree in the very last small grove of old growth pines left standing after the houses went up--pines that screened their property from the ones across the way--and landscaped with teeny tiny new decorative trees that might look nice in twenty years if they survive our invasive species (which run rampant in our area after the townspeople banned any use of pesticides in our county) and harsh weather. Right, fair enough, private property. Welcome to the country, we're SO glad you came. I don't know if they're "nice" people or not; they don't mingle with the locals. a reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
finance.yahoo.com...

I've never been a city mouse, and can't understand how people can live on top of each other, with no fresh air, man-made noise all hours of the day and night. That's just me.

City life offers a collective connectiveness with society, often with the highest levels of public technology. Indeed, city life can be cramped, noisy, and poor. Yet it can be vibrant, fast paced, and socially and intellectually stimulating. Cities are the centers of innovation and research which, even if not directly experienced by a citizen, is experienced indirectly through their discovery and implementation. City life, is, in one word, alive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the other side of life now, working to obtain a few acres on the edge of a major metropolitan area. I enjoy enough room for personal peace and quiet, but want to be close enough to the life of a major city. There is value in quietude and nature.

After growing up in a rural area, city life was initially overwhelming but the liveliness is unparalleled in other areas. To be part of the evolution of the species is quite something, even if that part is but a tiny speck in the sands of humanity.
edit on 28-4-2022 by InwardDiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I was just recently in Portland, Oregon--it's been a mess with the homeless, drug abuse, declining quality of life for a while now, but post-pandemic, riots, tragic economy, division--the mess is absolute now. The roaming, raving street souls, cluster areas of hygienically fearful tent cities, etc. are now right downtown in areas with major venues, four star hotels and restaurants, etc. Many businesses and venues don't bother to fix the riot damage any more--it's safer to leave them boarded up, like the concert venue I went to. Used to have beautiful exterior; boarded up now. So many closed up and gone businesses it's easier to count the ones still there. Seattle was ALREADY like that the last time I visited in 2019, even before the pandemic. a reply to: Edumakated

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Hopefully they leave their citified ways and politics back in the city.

But they won’t.

I’ve see it happen here in Alberta over the last thirty or so years. Woke attitudes, complaining about the pig farms, dust from the fields, and noise from gun ranges that were all there long before they were.

Areas that were conservative are now voting liberal and the policies are killing businesses like oil and gas and farming.

They tend to bring their disease with them unfortunately.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:23 PM
link   

It's like the Great Migration. People moving away from where they don't have to be toward more favorable conditions. The cities killed themselves.

Unfortunately, the people who enabled it are likely going to take their voting patterns with them.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: NorthOfStuff

That is the problem this woke people move in, infest and devastate with their stupidity, then move on to do the same on other cities, is like that is the way the agenda is pushed, move, infest and keep on moving and infesting everywhere you go.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   

How will this impact farmland especially smaller indepenent ones? I know by me, they are dissappearing one by one. Another big concern for rural areas is resources like water... We love our wells out here, but aquifers can only support so many houses. Long standing rural areas are being transformed overnight with all the new transplants, a lot of time, it's not for the better.

I get 1 or 2 offers a day on my 180 acres on my cotton and onion farm from developers. This piece of ground has been in my family since 1850. I don't care anymore! I'm going to exercise my right as a capitalist and sell to the highest bidder and sink that money into gamblin, drugs, alcohol and wimmin; then squander what's left.

Perhaps the people leaving the cities can buy one of those junky developer built houses on those windblown south plains of Texas.
edit on 28-4-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Just like sheep they graze an area bare and move on to greener pastures.

Rinse and repeat.

posted on Apr, 28 2022 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: NorthOfStuff

Hopefully they leave their citified ways and politics back in the city.

But they won’t.

I’ve see it happen here in Alberta over the last thirty or so years. Woke attitudes, complaining about the pig farms, dust from the fields, and noise from gun ranges that were all there long before they were.

Areas that were conservative are now voting liberal and the policies are killing businesses like oil and gas and farming.

They tend to bring their disease with them unfortunately.

I live on the other side of the pond to you but the Welsh people are the ones to take a tip from when a outsider bought a house the joke was come home to a real fire buy a house in Wales , you went out the front door and petrol bombs went in your back windows ,problem solved

And it was a good way to generate much needed work rebuilding
edit on 28/4/2022 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join