It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Article: Gen Z does not dream of labor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 01:36 PM
link   
www.vox.com...

Many have taken to declaring how they don’t have dream jobs since they “don’t dream of labor.” This buzzy phrase, popularized on social media in the pandemic, rejects work as a basis for identity, framing it instead as an act to pursue out of financial necessity. To quote the billionaire Kim Kardashian, it does seem like nobody wants to work these days. Nobody wants to work in jobs where they are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked — especially not young people.

news flash: young people don't want to work for a living.

in fairness, companies and businesses must share the blame for the anti-work sentiment. they demand more and more from workers, force overtime, add to responsibilities, and are miserly with raises.
and it gets harder and harder to earn a living wage without special skills. how many fast food workers can afford to buy a house?

JFK said 'a rising tide lifts all boats', but last ten years or so seems that the rich get richer and the rest of us are getting poorer, not even doing the same.
no easy answers.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

I would much prefer to be a 900 million dollar powerball winner myself but I have to work if I want to live.

My grandfather gave me wonderful advice: If you are going to trade your time for money, you might as well try to make as much as possible for that time investment.
edit on 26-4-2022 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I don't work....

I get paid to do what I love and am good at.

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

It is much easier to not work, be a stay at home dad maybe?

I found this one entertaining:

I wanted my son to reject masculine stereotypes. Then he fell in love with tractors

www.yahoo.com...

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I've been with the company I work for, for 6 years now. When I first started I was making $11.50/hr. Today I'm making $23/hr and I regularly get 8-10 hours of overtime. The pay has over doubled. Of course the job I do is literally only done by four people in the world. We are the only producer of thin film etch membrane. I was pleasantly surprised when I got a 17% raise back in January since inflation is so damn high. I feel rewarded for my hard work. I live a comfortable life. I think most people are lazy and don't want to apply themselves or go the extra mile. Just my take.

edit on -05:002022Tue, 26 Apr 2022 22:32:20 -050030America/Chicago000000Tue, 26 Apr 2022 22:32:20 -0500TueAmerica/ChicagoApr by PorteurDeMort because: Spelling

posted on Apr, 26 2022 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
www.vox.com...

Many have taken to declaring how they don’t have dream jobs since they “don’t dream of labor.” This buzzy phrase, popularized on social media in the pandemic, rejects work as a basis for identity, framing it instead as an act to pursue out of financial necessity. To quote the billionaire Kim Kardashian, it does seem like nobody wants to work these days. Nobody wants to work in jobs where they are underpaid, underappreciated, and overworked — especially not young people.

news flash: young people don't want to work for a living.

in fairness, companies and businesses must share the blame for the anti-work sentiment. they demand more and more from workers, force overtime, add to responsibilities, and are miserly with raises.
and it gets harder and harder to earn a living wage without special skills. how many fast food workers can afford to buy a house?

JFK said 'a rising tide lifts all boats', but last ten years or so seems that the rich get richer and the rest of us are getting poorer, not even doing the same.
no easy answers.

Union busting should be a death penalty offense..

Scabs should be outed, roasted, and ridiculed.

Without unionized labor.. America would have never had prosperity for avg people.
edit on 27 4 2022 by LastFirst because: Thought.

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 10:15 AM
link   
i am a business owner. Me and my husband work really hard for over 30 years. My son who is in his 23 , does not. Or works different. He works 2 days a week at a pizzeria and makes cash money and the rest of the week he works a few hours selling crypto. I was worried he would not know how to work hard. He told me, why do i need to work hard when i can work a few hours a week and make more money than slaving 40 hours at a job? What do I say to that? But that seems to be the trend. I cabnnot find any help in my business. The work force is severly lacking. a reply to: ElGoobero

posted on Apr, 27 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Busting your ass for the sake of busting your ass is for schmucks. Work smarter, not harder.

join