It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Defense Minister Shoigu's report to President Putin on Mariupol

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu

April 21, 2022 10:00

Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu:

Mr President,

The Armed Forces of the Russian Federation and the people’s militia of the Donetsk People’s Republic have liberated Mariupol. The remaining nationalists are hiding in the industrial area of the Azovstal steel plant.

Mariupol is a major industrial centre and the main transport hub on the Sea of Azov. In 2014, the Kiev regime declared the city the temporary capital of the Donetsk Region, and during the subsequent eight years it has been turned into a powerful stronghold and the base of far-right Ukrainian nationalists. In fact, it was the capital of the Azov Battalion.

A large amount of heavy weaponry and military hardware have been deployed in the city, including tanks, the Smerch and Uragan multiple rocket launcher systems, heavy artillery systems and the Tochka-U missile complexes. Tochka-U has a range of 120 kilometres, while the distance from Mariupol to Russia’s city of Taganrog is 94 kilometres and approximately the same to Rostov, the capital of the Southern Federal District.

The city has been stocked with missiles, munitions, fuel and lubricants, and food provisions for lengthy hostilities. The main infrastructure facilities, including the seaport and the waterway, have been mined and blocked with floating cranes. The majority of vessels there belong to foreign states.

As for armoured vehicles, there were 179 tanks and armoured fighting vehicles there, 170 various guns and mortars, including multiple rocket launchers which I have already mentioned, the Smerch and Uragan systems. When the city was surrounded on March 11, there were more than 8,100 troops of the Ukrainian Armed Forces and nationalist units in the city, as well as foreign mercenaries, who formed a large group. During the operation to liberate the city, over 4,000 of them have been neutralised, 1,478 have surrendered, and the remaining group of over 2,000 has been blocked in the industrial area of the Azovstal plant.

In their resistance efforts, the nationalists used almost all residential buildings as fortified emplacements. Armoured vehicles and artillery were placed on ground floors, and snipers took up positions on upper floors. There were separate units armed with ATGMs as well. The residents were brought to the middle floors and basements and used as human shields. It was done in almost every block of flats.

When retreating, the Ukrainian army and the nationalist battalions in Mariupol and other Ukrainian cities were using civilians as a cover. We are aware of four instances when, in order to cover their retreat, they made people leave the basements. The latest incident was literally four days ago, when we were liberating the port area and they made almost everyone leave high-rise buildings so that they could flee leaving behind ruins, including completely destroyed socially important and cultural sites.

While liberating Mariupol, the Russian army and the people's militia units from the DPR took every precaution to save civilian lives. Mr President, as you instructed, humanitarian corridors have been created daily since March 21 to evacuate civilians and foreign nationals.

Servicemen of the Ukrainian Armed Forces and militants from nationalist battalions were encouraged to lay down their arms. Of course, they were guaranteed life, safety and medical help.

We remained in daily communication with Deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine [Irina] Vereshchuk with regard to planned humanitarian acts, which included corridors and transport, both ambulances and buses. Occasionally, up to 100 such buses and 25 to 30 ambulances were made available per day.

Foreign diplomatic missions got in touch with us in various ways because their nationals were there. By the way, we have been able to free and evacuate many of them from Mariupol as part of these humanitarian initiatives. We provided official notifications to the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, the relevant OSCE structures, the International Committee of the Red Cross and other international organisations stating the time and place of these initiatives. In some instances, we even insisted on their presence to make sure that all the humanitarian rules are complied with to the extent it was possible, considering the constant and never-ending fire coming from the nationalist battalions and the Ukrainian Armed Forces.

Despite the resistance of the fighters and all others, we were able to evacuate 142,711 civilians from Mariupol after you issued instructions to this effect. We freed all hostages at the seaport, including sea crews. Those who took them hostage damaged their communications systems so that they could not get in touch with anyone. The port was mined, and the waterway blocked. I hope that these ships will now be able to leave this port.

As of today, the Russian Army and the Donetsk People’s Republic’s people’s militia control all of Mariupol, reliably blocking Azovstal territory with what remains of the nationalist forces and foreign mercenaries.

Over the past two days, again as per your instructions, we declared a ceasefire between 2 pm and 4 pm, stopped all military action and opened humanitarian corridors to enable civilians who may be at Azovstal to leave.

We prepared about 90 buses for them, and 25 ambulances. Of course, considering all the distortions we face, we installed Russian Aerospace Forces cameras and received the stream almost in real time here at the command centre. No one left Azovstal. However, other civilians, over 100 of them, were able to leave. This was a major effort for us over the past few days, and we carried it out together with all the relevant international organisations.

The city is now calm, which allows us to begin efforts to restore order, enable people to return to their homes and bring peaceful life back to the city. As for those hiding at Azovstal, we have reliably sealed its perimeter, and need three or four days to complete this effort at Azovstal.

This concludes my report.

to be continued

edit on 4 21 2022 by turretless because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Meeting with Defence Minister Sergei Shoigu

President of Russia Vladimir Putin:

I believe it would be inadvisable to storm this industrial zone.

I order you to cancel it.

Sergei Shoigu:

Yes, sir.

Vladimir Putin:

This is the case when we have to prioritise preserving the lives and health of our soldiers and officers. Of course, this is our constant priority, but even more so in this case. There is no need to penetrate these catacombs and crawl under these industrial facilities.

Seal off the industrial zone completely.

Sergei Shoigu:

Yes, sir.

Vladimir Putin:

You must offer all those who have not laid down their weapons to do so. Russia guarantees them their lives and dignity as per the relevant international legal instruments. All the wounded will get medical assistance.

You successfully completed the combat effort to liberate Mariupol. Let me congratulate you on this occasion, and please convey my congratulations to the troops. I am also asking you to submit proposals on bestowing state decorations on the service personnel who distinguished themselves. Of course, as usual, there will be various decorations, but I want everyone to know that they are all heroes for us and for all of Russia.

In this context, we need to make sure that we fulfil all the social commitments to our service personnel, especially the wounded and the families of our fallen comrades.

However, I believe that this would not be enough. We have to do more and come up with additional support measures, and in some case to consider ways of perpetuating the memory of those of our comrades who displayed heroism and sacrificed their lives so that our people in Donbass live in peace and to enable Russia, our country, to live in peace. These people deserved this by what they did and the way they honoured their oath.

I am asking you to work on this matter within the Defence Ministry, while I will issue the corresponding instructions to the Presidential Executive Office. I will talk to my colleagues in the regions, and they will work with the municipalities across Russia.

Assuming control over Mariupol, a major city in the south of the country, is obviously a success. Congratulations.

Sergei Shoigu:

Thank you, Mr President.

en.kremlin.ru...

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:24 AM
link   
a reply to: turretless

Is it normal for military intelligence like this to be shared with the public during an active conflict?

Askin’ for a mate of mine, I personally believe every single word of this - especially the part where Putin needs the geography of his own country and close neighbours explained to him.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

Is it normal for military intelligence like this to be shared with the public during an active conflict?

Askin’ for a mate of mine, I personally believe every single word of this - especially the part where Putin needs the geography of his own country and close neighbours explained to him.

For today's Russia, it is normal not to hide many things.

This report was also made for the world community (Putin does not confuse Austria with Australia like some American presidents do).

"The US president thanked Australian premier John Howard for visiting 'Austrian troops' in Iraq." - www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMALLYETALLIAM

It’s self contradicting gibberish..

the Ukrainian army and the nationalist battalions in Mariupol and other Ukrainian cities were using civilians as a cover. We are aware of four instances when, in order to cover their retreat, they made people leave the basements. The latest incident was literally four days ago, when we were liberating the port area and they made almost everyone leave high-rise buildings so that they could flee leaving behind ruins, including completely destroyed socially important and cultural sites.

What high rise builds are left near where the army was held up? After mass bombings and shellings by the Russians.

Vs.

While liberating Mariupol, the Russian army and the people's militia units from the DPR took every precaution to save civilian lives. Mr President, as you instructed, humanitarian corridors have been created daily since March 21 to evacuate civilians and foreign nationals.

You set up corridors but blame people leaving basements and high rise buildings in heavily shelled and bombed areas on the Ukrainian army held up in a steel mill?

If your protecting civilians and have area superiority, how do you allow cornered militants to force civilians to leave an area you set up humanitarian corridors from.

The letter is propaganda using the Russian boogeyman.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:43 AM
link   

I’m having a hard time believing that, on what appears to be the official Kremlin website, they are divulging information regarding the defences that have been put in place by the Russians after ‘liberating’ Mariupol all for the sake of transparency.

I also noticed the emphasis on the empathy and humanity that was shown to civilians (the Russian speaking ones perhaps?).

Either today’s Russia is dumber than the administration who denied Chernobyl was melting down to save face until it was too late or this be propaganda of the most obvious kind.

Couldn’t care less about Biden confusing Australia and Austria, he confuses himself with a lifesaver that bought a dangerous gangster named cornpop to heel. Don’t tell him we’re the country on the other side of the world and he might forget we’re here.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:47 AM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

And to think; the Russians used to be world leaders at propaganda.

This is woeful.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 05:56 AM
link   

I’m having a hard time believing that, on what appears to be the official Kremlin website, they are divulging information regarding the defences that have been put in place by the Russians after ‘liberating’ Mariupol all for the sake of transparency.

What important information did the minister disclose? Do you mean it?

We prepared about 90 buses for them, and 25 ambulances. Of course, considering all the distortions we face, we installed Russian Aerospace Forces cameras and received the stream almost in real time here at the command centre.

"A large amount of heavy weaponry and military hardware have been deployed..." is a story about Ukrainian troops being installed in Mariupol.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:11 AM
link   
So, instead of storming the tunnels of Azov Steal, they will just starve them out. The Ukrainians in these tunnels are doing everything they can to not surrender. They are hoping for a "3rd party" to save them coming from the sea. I think Russia is just going to put a 2-mile-thick encirclement and sit tight. I don't think the soldiers and civilians will last long with no supplies.

But how do we know how much supplies are there? Is it possible they have dug massive, massive tunnels that reach out past any encirclement?

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: donteventrip

But how do we know how much supplies are there? Is it possible they have dug massive, massive tunnels that reach out past any encirclement?

The Russian military may know this information from those Azov soldiers who have surrendered.

I heard that the Azov command released a video message to the leadership of Ukraine in which they said that they were running out of food, medicine and ammunition.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Boom and the lord said..,”Let there be BS” and there it was

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:35 AM
link   
So is this a prelude to Russia declaring that their objective has been meet?

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:36 AM
link   

The city is now calm, which allows us to begin efforts to restore order, enable people to return to their homes and bring peaceful life back to the city.

What homes? Russia has completely leveled the city.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: dandandat2
So is this a prelude to Russia declaring that their objective has been meet?

I don't know for sure but I doubt that Russia will stop at this point.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 06:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254

What homes? Russia has completely leveled the city.

This is a report from Mariupol - rutube.ru...

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 07:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: turretless
For today's Russia, it is normal not to hide many things.

This report was also made for the world community (Putin does not confuse Austria with Australia like some American presidents do).

"The US president thanked Australian premier John Howard for visiting 'Austrian troops' in Iraq." - www.dailymail.co.uk...

Uhm no, not in Russia today is it normal. What it is - an attempt to regain control of the narrative in a way that benefits Putin. The issue they are avoiding is the level of resistance by Ukraine and the fact the Ukrainian forces in Mariupol have tied up a large amount of Russian forces that cannot be used in the effort to seize the east.

Putin still wants Odessa so this is not anywhere near over. How many times is the Russian military going to claim they have taken Mariupol?
edit on 21-4-2022 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Uhm no, not in Russia today is it normal. What it is - an attempt to regain control of the narrative in a way that benefits Putin. The issue they are avoiding is the level of resistance by Ukraine and the fact the Ukrainian forces in Mariupol have tied up a large amount of Russian forces that cannot be used in the effort to seize the east.

Putin still wants Odessa so this is not anywhere near over. How many times is the Russian military going to claim they have taken Mariupol?

Mariupol is a city in the Donetsk region and is now being returned to the Donetsk People's Republic.

Odessa is a city in the Odessa region.

Speech of the Head of the Main Operational Directorate of the General Staff of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation Colonel General Sergei Rudskoy

25.03.2022 (17:29)

Offensive actions of the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation are carried out in various directions.

As a result, Russian troops blocked Kiev, Kharkov, Chernigov, Sumy and Nikolaev. Kherson and most of the Zaporozhye region are under full control.

The public and individual experts are wondering what we are doing in the area of blocked Ukrainian cities.

These actions are carried out with the aim of causing such damage to military infrastructure, equipment, personnel of the Armed Forces of Ukraine, the results of which allow not only to shackle their forces and do not give them the opportunity to strengthen their grouping in the Donbass, but also will not allow them to do so until the Russian army completely liberates the territories of the DPR and LPR.

Initially, we did not plan to storm them in order to prevent destruction and minimize losses among personnel and civilians.

And although we do not rule out such a possibility, however, as individual groups complete their tasks, and they are being solved successfully, our forces and means will concentrate on the main thing – the complete liberation of Donbass.

Significant territories of the Lugansk and Donetsk people's republics have also been liberated. The people's militia has taken control of 276 settlements that were previously under the control of the Ukrainian army and the national battalions.

Demilitarization of Ukraine is achieved both by high-precision strikes on military infrastructure facilities, locations of formations and military units, airfields, control points, arsenals and warehouses of weapons and military equipment, and by the actions of troops to defeat opposing enemy grouppings.

eng.mil.ru...

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 09:11 AM
link   
It’s seems like the US MSM is ratcheting down the propaganda machine.

They don’t want to talk about Mariupol.

The best western repots I’m seeing is on Euronews 1st and Sky News 2nd.

You just have to get past the propaganda that the troops trapped in the steel mill are preventing Russian troops from participating in the main battle.

The big story is who actually is in that trapped group.

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Yup I know where the cities are located. Since no one but Russia is saying the 2 oblasts are independent, the territory / cities belong to Ukraine.

The goal for Putin to start was to take control of all Ukraine. When that failed he decided to stop going for Kiev and concentrated on the east as well as the south. We know this because more units are coming out of Crimea and heading west, towards Odessa. Given Putin's ego I fully expect him to continue the push for all of Ukraine.

ETA - The General's report is a bit off when he says they blocked Kiev.
edit on 21-4-2022 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   

a reply to: neutronflux

And to think; the Russians used to be world leaders at propaganda.

This is woeful.

Yes, and to think that the US used to be the world leader in citizens' rights and honorable government.

My, how things have changed.

The US uses drones to kill innocents all around the globe, while Russia is trying to minimize civilian casualties.

Go figure.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join