It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

eBay are scum.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I haven’t sold on eBay for a while, I sold a 90.00 item, and as eBay don’t allow paypal any longer.

I had to be forced to use managed payments. The item sold, eBay took their 14 dollars commission.

Though here’s the clincher, they will not release my money until I provided 100 points of identification.

I have use eBay for 19 years for selling and buying.

I contacted customer disservice, and they won’t release the funds at all.

Why not let me know before the item sold that I needed to provide identification, now you hold my money hostage, until I do.

Though I am sure I provided the info years ago.

They want a copy of my passport drivers licence. Ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
They want a copy of my passport drivers licence. Ridiculous.

Write the item off as a loss ... and drop eBay like you would a bad habit.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

Though here’s the clincher, they will not release my money until I provided 100 points of identification.

All I had to provide was an email address and a checking account. They made two test deposits/payments for a few pennies, and that's it. I made 3 sales on EBay in the past month and got paid for all of my items.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   

4 days ago I sold a $900 dollar item on Ebay, and I used PayPal. I just Googled it and it says they accept PayPal. Also I only had to provide 1 email.

www.ebay.com...#:~:text=If%20you%20have%20a%20PayPal,and%20enter%20your%20account%20information.
edit on 17-4-2022 by Backagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha
About a year ago when I was forced to switch to managed payments, I updated all my info, sold a few items though no issue with receiving the money.

Now it’s an issue. I refuse to give them photo I’d and licence numbers, passport numbers. It’s too much info for a company that isn’t really respectful of data integrity.

That’s my beef.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

I think I will just do that, at least on gumtree or Facebook marketplace you don’t lose up to 18 percent of the sale in commission, a cut for the postage, a cut for the packaging.

I sold a car on eBay a while ago for about 3000, the buyer paid in cash I cancelled the sale, eBay didn’t get their, 700 bucks.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Backagain

Here in Australia, I made the mistake of changing to managed payments. I asked the eBay rep to change me back to PayPal, supposedly they do not use PayPal any longer.

Which is probably a lie.

J have to take some time to change back to PayPal.

I Gould this:www.paypal-community.com...
edit on 17-4-2022 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 11:53 PM
link   
eBay owns PayPal and they use it....
Something must be wrong with your account.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 11:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 01:15 AM
link   
eBay is a scam, imo. I only buy from stores if I do, not individuals. Last time I bought a video card from someone in the US, when it arrived he'd overclocked it (I could see the physical damage) and demanded a refund. He refused, saying I must have done something to it. sayonara money, ebay didn't give two farms about it...

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 02:56 AM
link   

eBay has definitely become a more hostile place for sellers.
I only sell a few bits and bobs on there for a bit of pocket money so I'm too lazy to find an alternative.
Even if I switched to another site, I suspect that any benefits will fast disappear because, over time, they seem to end up following the same path as the big boys.

Their customer service is the worst I've encountered so when the time comes to say bye bye to them it won't be a great loss for me.

Hope you get your problem sorted.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
a reply to: Snarl

I sold a car on eBay a while ago for about 3000, the buyer paid in cash I cancelled the sale, eBay didn’t get their, 700 bucks.

That's probably going to be the reason you've been flagged for verification.
edit on 18-4-2022 by hombero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: shaemac
eBay owns PayPal and they use it....

They do not own PayPal, it is a completely separate publicly traded company.

edit on 18-4-2022 by AugustusMasonicus because: dey terk er election

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: hombero

Probably, though when you think about it, eBay just operate the conduit to sell stuff.

They don’t go snd market your add for you, to increase bids.

Searching on eBay Australia is crap, if I search for say model boats eBay United Kingdom, it has more private sellers on the listings. Ebay Australia preference business sellers and it’s not till page 5 that you might see the odd private add.

eBay still want their big cut of commission.

I couldn’t justify giving them 700 for really doing nothing to help me sell other than providing the platform.

Or their rates were cheaper fair enough.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: jerich0

Probably a good choice for some items at least you get an easy return.

At least PayPal gave some form of protection.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

My wife sells items on Facebook marketplace and has been for years. Just today she Went to advertise some items, Now all of a sudden they want her to send government issued photo I.d to them.

Unsure if it’s related.
edit on 18-4-2022 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 08:05 AM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

I contacted them by online chat and asked why I was never informed that if I sell I will either need to provide I.d of they withhold my money.

I explained that as they allowed me to sell though now say they want I.d that this is illegal as it is extortion.

All I herd were crickets, no answer as to why they did not inform me prior to the sale.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I'm a reluctant user of online things in general (except ATS ) and something that I've noticed lately is that everyone is being pressured to use the Internet for everything while simultaneously having more and more obstacles placed to prevent you from getting any kind of satisfactory experience from trying to do so.
All in the name of security.

I recently had to contact my local authority.
Their website is clumsy and overcrowded with useless nonsense but there were contact details for the required department.

I phoned the number only to hear a recorded message saying they no longer answer the phone and to email my enquiry.
I sent an email and a couple of days later I got a reply.......it wasn't an answer to my question it was an automated message telling me that I had an email from the council.
I cannot access this email until I download another service from the council in order to access their system !!!

They're not helping anyone and all the "convenience" we were promised when using online services is a myth.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

Agreed, there’s no service anymore.

It’s like with most companies now, you go to the contact us link, hoping for a phone number, nope no hope.

All there is, is an online form that says we will contact you sometime in the future, you need to provide all your details otherwise the form will not allow itself to be sent.

No wonder why most of us get junk emails, phone calls from scammers, or some idiot trying to sell us some crap we don’t want or need.

At home I put all my coins in a ton and over a year it builds up.

I count all my coins put them in the e.g 10 dollars with of 20 cent coins. Been doing this for years over the counter at a bank branch, recently they want photo i.d to Change for notes.

There’s no such thing as anonymity any more.everyone want a piece of your data.

posted on Apr, 18 2022 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Yet, fail to pay a council tax bill and all of a sudden they're desperate to contact you with all kinds of threats and demands.

I think I'll send them a letter telling them I'm no longer online so they'll have to phone me or write to me. Then I'll add an extra obstacle to slow them down every time they want something.

I should charge a £100 fee for each item they require. Maybe add on a "reasonable search" fee for things that involve any effort on my behalf.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join