It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A South Carolina death row inmate picks a firing squad over the electric chair

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

originally posted by: vonclod
I don't get the fuss over the drugs needed for lethal injection, why not just a hot shot of heroin? Seems to work just fine.

Gawd!

The people would be lining up!

You know, for sure some would. We have a lot of ODs here, about 5 deaths per day. You would think an OD would make some wary of that dealer, but no, they search it out, because it was stronger, figure they can adjust, crazy!!

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Ohhh dang!
I wonder how they select the prison workers doing the firing?
Surely that’s got to weigh on some more than others.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Ohhh dang!
I wonder how they select the prison workers doing the firing?
Surely that’s got to weigh on some more than others.

I would have to imagine they volunteer. In some places, the executioner was a outside contractor..not sure if thats still how it works

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Trump authorized it before he left office.

I'm still not sure what to make of it.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

One would hope that they could find a professional.

It would be a bit embarrassing getting all prepared for your big finale only to be shot five times in the leg by a bunch of amateurs.

Painful, too.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tulpa
a reply to: ColoradoTemplar

I wonder if you could combine methods?

Imagine seeing someone executed by having an electric chair fired at them.

Obligatory George Carlin video.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 04:56 PM
link   

One would hope that they could find a professional.

It would be a bit embarrassing getting all prepared for your big finale only to be shot five times in the leg by a bunch of amateurs.

Painful, too.

I bet it has happened, it for sure has with other forms of execution, and back in those days..yikes, the person might well of not deserved death to begin with.
edit on 16-4-2022 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Tipping the axeman was once a custom.

Not sure how true it is but I read that giving a good tip would ensure the executioner made a clean, swift job of it as opposed to just hacking away and taking several attempts.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Not sure how true it is but I read that giving a good tip would ensure the executioner made a clean, swift job of it as opposed to just hacking away and taking several attempts.

Yes!, there are historical accounts of tipping, have read accounts of the axeman being drunk, or nervous, not a good way to go. Have also read simular about the hangman, some calculations come in there, screw up, and anything from slow strangulation, to heads popping right off..I guess thats pretty quick though

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I’m pretty sure the ones firing the blanks would know, just by the way the rifle sounds and feels when shot. If it were me, I’d request all rifles loaded with real rounds knowing that I won’t be scared sh1tless by a possible squib load in that one rifle.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I don't get the fuss over the drugs needed for lethal injection, why not just a hot shot of heroin? Seems to work just fine.

from what i hear,

there is plenty of fentanyl around.

i'd snort a line instead of a jab.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If i had the choice i’d want firing squad over lethal injection.

Lethal injection seems really torturous and cruel to me.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Yes!, there are historical accounts of tipping, have read accounts of the axeman being drunk, or nervous, not a good way to go. Have also read simular about the hangman, some calculations come in there, screw up, and anything from slow strangulation, to heads popping right off..I guess thats pretty quick though

I've seen a few beheading videos... some sick sh!t. Slow hacks with dull rusty blade, bleeding out, struggling. Saw one of a journalist killed by terrorists about 20 years ago. Maybe Daniel Pearl and some other guy. A few drug cartel videos. Horrific way to go.

Clean guillotine chops should be pain free. Ned Stark style....

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Ohanka

They put your under before they adminster the drug which gives you the heart attack. So you wouldn't really know anything past going unconscious. Its why its considered more humane along with it not really harming you externally so families can have an open casket. But very inpersonable in my opinion...which is why I would rather people whom carry it out look at me on the moment...so I can look back at them!

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12

a reply to: ColoradoTemplar

Am amazied that you get given a choice.

How about one of Switzerland's new 'death pods'?

Shades Of Soylent: Switzerland Approves Assisted ‘Suicide Capsule

Ah, Swiss precision quality painless(?) death.

I believe the last firing squad execution in USA was Ronnie Lee Gardner in 2010, a Mormon in Utah.

I'd prefer to die of old age, your honor, but if that ain't possible, I'll take the firing squad.
— Ronnie Lee Gardner, 1985

I like the firing squad. It's so much easier ... and there's no mistakes.
— Ronnie Lee Gardner, 1996

Just after midnight on June 18, 2010, Gardner's friends and family gathered outside the prison at a candlelight vigil while playing "Free Bird" by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: sarahvital

from what i hear,

there is plenty of fentanyl around.

i'd snort a line instead of a jab.

I know right..seems like it should be easy.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I've seen a few beheading videos... some sick sh!t. Slow hacks with dull rusty blade, bleeding out, struggling. Saw one of a journalist killed by terrorists about 20 years ago. Maybe Daniel Pearl and some other guy. A few drug cartel videos. Horrific way to go.

Clean guillotine chops should be pain free. Ned Stark style....

Dark stuff, I can't do it anymore, when I was younger, I watched a few clips like that, still gives me the creeps. A Guillotine would be the best method I suppose.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

They also have been unable to procure the drugs for lethal injection (in the article).

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I guess just dragging them back out to the shed and a double tap with a .45 is too complicated. Society and the law has to make a spectacle about it.

posted on Apr, 17 2022 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
I guess just dragging them back out to the shed and a double tap with a .45 is too complicated. Society and the law has to make a spectacle about it.

They could use the traditional, old-fashioned British method of "accidentally falling down the stairs while in the care of the Constabulary ".

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join