It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A South Carolina death row inmate picks a firing squad over the electric chair

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I thought this was interesting:

www.npr.org...

COLUMBIA, S.C. — A South Carolina prisoner scheduled to be the first man executed in the state in more than a decade has decided to die by firing squad rather than in the electric chair later this month, according to court documents filed Friday.

Richard Bernard Moore, 57, is the also first state prisoner to face the choice of execution methods after a law went into effect last year making electrocution the default and giving inmates the option to face three prison workers with rifles instead.

Only three executions in the United States have been carried out by firing squad since 1976, according to the Washington-based nonprofit Death Penalty Information Center. Moore's would mark the first since Ronnie Lee Gardner 's 2010 execution by a five-person firing squad in Utah.

Im kind of on the fence. If I had a choice given by the state I would probably select lethal injection. I know its morbid what do you think?

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoTemplar

If I had a choice given by the state I would probably select lethal injection. I know its morbid what do you think?

Lynching. That's the choice I'm giving.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

If I had a choice given by the state I would probably select lethal injection. I know its morbid what do you think?

Lynching. That's the choice I'm giving.

By Noose Bigburgh?

Yes, Lynching by Noose.

Ok thanks.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoTemplar

Give him a Monty Hall-style choice of what's behind one of three closed doors.

And even that is generous.
edit on 16-4-2022 by gb540 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

When I was a teenager we watched Faces of Death on vhs tape and it showed a few executions and I remember watching the gas chamber and guy was trying to hold his breath.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:05 AM
link   

I wonder if you could combine methods?

Imagine seeing someone executed by having an electric chair fired at them.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Those were fake but yes that was rough.

I change my mind.
I Do want death by Firing Squad. On one condition! It must be carried out with a big crowd, and I want 50 Tons of Tannerite strapped to me!

FIRE!!!!!👀

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
I want 50 Tons of Tannerite strapped to me!

FIRE!!!!!👀

OK BOOMer!!!

That's flash

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Death by Snu Snu is also high on my list!

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Remember this case with the guy who was too fat to hang?

www.nbcnews.com...

Juries twice sentenced him to death, but higher courts overturned the sentences. In 1994, a federal judge upheld his conviction but agreed with Rupe’s contention that at 400 pounds, he was too fat to hang because of the risk of decapitation.
a reply to: [post=26454608]Tulpa[/pos

Mitchell Rupe, a former death row inmate once found too fat to hang, died at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla on Tuesday following a long illness, a prison spokeswoman said. He was 51.

I guess his head would just pop off.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Am amazied that you get given a choice.

How about one of Switzerland's new 'death pods'?

Shades Of Soylent: Switzerland Approves Assisted ‘Suicide Capsule

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   
It could have something to do with the fact that lethal injection is not only quite unpleasant, but also fails occasionally. Firing squads are faster and more reliable.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Firing squad for me. I'd rather die on my feet.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Yes that would be nice to feel some euphoria before my soul or being leaves me body and enters the next stage of the afterlife. It states this in the article:

He said the person will likely feel disorientated or euphoric. “The whole thing takes about 30 seconds,” he said “Death takes place through hypoxia and hypocapnia, oxygen and carbon dioxide deprivation, respectively. There is no panic, no choking.”

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoTemplar
Remember this case with the guy who was too fat to hang?

www.nbcnews.com...

Juries twice sentenced him to death, but higher courts overturned the sentences. In 1994, a federal judge upheld his conviction but agreed with Rupe’s contention that at 400 pounds, he was too fat to hang because of the risk of decapitation.
a reply to: [post=26454608]Tulpa[/pos

Mitchell Rupe, a former death row inmate once found too fat to hang, died at the Washington State Penitentiary in Walla Walla on Tuesday following a long illness, a prison spokeswoman said. He was 51.

I guess his head would just pop off.

They should have done it anyway.

If they'd positioned their next victim below his falling body they could have got a two-fer.

....and a great video!

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
It could have something to do with the fact that lethal injection is not only quite unpleasant, but also fails occasionally. Firing squads are faster and more reliable.

Exactly. The uninformed hear this and think "firing squad how barbaric!" when in fact it is much more humane than any of the other methods most states use.

It's certainly way more humane than the electric chair.

I would choose firing squad for sure.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grenade

Firing squad for me. I'd rather die on my feet.

I'm pretty sure they make you sit down. If you're standing up you may sway and it's possible they miss your heart.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I would choose firing squad over electric chair, lethal injection, and gas chamber, any day.

Did you guys see those soldiers get blasted by that tank? Now there's the way to go.

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'd choose firing squad only if I could pick the position of the gunmen. Circular formation.

Ready!

Aim!

Ooh! A penny...
*bends over*

Fire!

posted on Apr, 16 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well if you think about it, many on death row are gang bangers who been shot already a time or two, so ya that would be more inline with their lives.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join