It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Check out this Excerpt from this Antique Book

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I absolutely love old books. Love the way they look, smell, feel but most of all the little secrets they contain.
These books are getting harder and harder to find. Old cookbooks have some of the best secrets and often it has nothing to do
with cooking! There is a lot of lost knowledge in them. This isn't a cookbook but an old herbal book with recipes of sorts... it was produced in 1918.

For now check this out:
(ps copyright protection is only good for 95 years)

edit on 14-4-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:15 PM
link   
We have some old books like that too. It is interesting stuff. I mostly research the herbs and plants that grow locally, comparing their chemistry in medicines. A lot of the medicinal plants they tote as cures have other similar plants that grow around here, not quite as potent sometimes, but still plenty of power to fight off different diseases and treat conditions.

Lots of the medicinal plants have been known of for a thousand years or more....and medicines are designed off of their method of action. Sometimes the side effects of the medicines are not in the plant that the medical technology is designed off of so the natural medicines are better than the expensive pharmaceudicals sometimes....but remember, sometimes there are toxins in the plant too.

Information about these herbs and spices used to be passed down from mother to daughter for generations, but modern medicine would not verify them and people were deceived to believe we need pharmaceudicals instead of cheap or free herbs that we can grow ourselves. We have been conditioned to believe that all weeds are noxious...which is far from the truth. Kill all of the natural medicines and we will be dependent on pharma forever....and the governments that regulate those medicines.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Lots of the medicinal plants have been known of for a thousand years or more....and medicines are designed off of their method of action. Sometimes the side effects of the medicines are not in the plant that the medical technology is designed off of so the natural medicines are better than the expensive pharmaceudicals sometimes....but remember, sometimes there are toxins in the plant too.

So true, so true.
Another example is what is edible. Milkweed for example. Everyone is told it is bitter and has to be prepared like this or that. This well known forager did an experiment and cooked milkweed and had everyone taste it, and they all loved it and compared it to asparagus. Not a bitter taste at all, and he said he's never been sick or tasted a bitter milkweed.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

This weekend we're doing a seven course meal with each dish containing something I foraged or will forage prior to then including morels, ramps and garlic mustard.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:44 PM
link   

For authentic Native American recipes...nothing beats Pocahontas Warren's cook book!

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This weekend we're doing a seven course meal with each dish containing something I foraged or will forage prior to then including morels, ramps and garlic mustard.

We are close, but our cold season isn't quite over yet. Everyone is chomping at the bit to get started. With Covid there are so many new foragers too so a lot of the good places are completely overrun now.

I have access to acres and acres and acres of ramps. There is a giant field of nothing but ramps just a short walk from where I live. My mom told me that they used to make medicine from them. They would take the first spring ramps, and it was very important not to wash it. You put it in a jar with water and shake it every day. In a month or two you drink that water and it was medicinal. She couldn't remember what for!!!

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:49 PM
link   
I think literary copyright depends on when the book was published. In some cases it is not 95 years.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

This weekend we're doing a seven course meal with each dish containing something I foraged or will forage prior to then including morels

I wondered why DB had that ring in his nose that last time you two went out hiking.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Sometimes I'm like all this PC stuff has gone too far, then I read something like that....

Pow Wow Chow...................

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Looks like a fascinating book! Would love to have a copy.
I'm with you, I love old books!

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The not washing part is very interesting to me, my brother mentioned how plants spread their own microbial biome into the soil they grow in just this week, makes me wonder if there is a connection.

The author of that herb book has passed down a reasoned and well rounded attitude in their writing.

Well done on claiming stewardship of it and sharing that passage with us here
I’m glad you have things like this around you, from what I’ve read you deserve good things in your life.
edit on 14-4-2022 by Dalamax because: Comment on book

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Fantastic--just the kind of book I adore. The cover is interesting, and gotta love that disclaimer. Some people who go deep into studying or publishing or writing about magic but don't believe in it still include this kind of "warning: this is not real and I don't believe it!" type thing. reply to: JAGStorm

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I love the way old books smell , I know that's weird
just can't help it .

There's an Antique book store in my town I love going in there just for the smell.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 10:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So true, so true.
Another example is what is edible. Milkweed for example. Everyone is told it is bitter and has to be prepared like this or that. This well known forager did an experiment and cooked milkweed and had everyone taste it, and they all loved it and compared it to asparagus. Not a bitter taste at all, and he said he's never been sick or tasted a bitter milkweed.

I actually like the taste of dandelion greens in the springtime when they are mild and tender. They are packed full of minerals and vitamins and chemistries that help us to stay healthy. As long as you don't put chemicals on your lawn that is.
A similar plant to dandelions is wild lettuce, we have some of that growing in our yard too. It tastes almost like dandelion greens, but I guess it has a lot of pain relief chemistry to it. I try not to take much of the wild lettuce because I do not know how much a person should consume. The wild lettuce we have only gets a short stem, possibly because I keep mowing it. The stems it has within the leafs is tougher than dandelions too. There are way more dandelions here than wild lettuce though, and we got lots of white clover and some purple and red clover too.

Even got some squaw root that grows on our property when it finds a nice stump to grow on. I tasted that, but that is more for womens stuff than mens. We got all kinds of wild raspberries, the top leaves are used dried by women for some issues. I never tried making tea out of them, I prefer to take the raspberries off when we walk by because they taste good. Got some wild ginsing growing on the property too, but there isn't much of it and the roots are small. So I just leave it keep growing and reproducing, some day I may need it in the future. We also have Great plantain in the yard, it tastes like spinach when cooked...but raw it has a lot of clotting properties, you can use that spinich like plant and the yarrow to stop bleeding of cuts. The flower of the white clover is strong, it can kill some kinds of pain, but three hours later your kidneys seem to jerk around, but you could use it in emergencies if you get hurt in the woods, just chew a flower and the pain goes away pretty much and stick some yarrow leaves or the greater plantain leaves on any cuts to clot them. That form of plantain is called soldiers bandage..

We planted traveling onions and some mint outside and the marjoram is taking over around the deck in back of the house. We have all sorts of weeds out here that are medicinal, they are all over this area. Lots of mushrooms that are edible too, but I am not good at identifying mushrooms well, there are some really deadly ones here too.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 03:13 AM
link   
I don't have books that are a hundred years old, but I do have books published in the previous century (the previous millennium), including books published in the USSR.

For example, a book Legends and Myths of Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome by Professor Nikolai Kun.

Year of publication of the book - 1987. Circulation - 1500000 copies.

The inscription in the upper left corner "2 р. 70 к." means that the price of this book is 2 rubles 70 kopecks. (Goods in the USSR had a fixed price.)

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 04:32 AM
link   

When society implodes, you're going to be that guy with the wooden wagon and a sign saying 'Ye Olde Apothecary ' and you are going to make a ton of whatever is used to barter with at that time.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: 19Bones79

When society implodes, you're going to be that guy with the wooden wagon and a sign saying 'Ye Olde Apothecary ' and you are going to make a ton of whatever is used to barter with at that time.

Until they call me a witch and burn me at the stake

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Well that took a sudden turn.

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: 19Bones79

Until they call me a witch and burn me at the stake

That is what happened to all the Herbalists many times before. Call them Witches or warlocks and burn them. The Alchemists seem to have been more protected because they said the witches did it and people believed them because they knew about these chemicals and steered the mobs toward the witches.

Alchemists got a bad name around the turn of last century so they changed their title to pharmacologists or pharmacists....people weren't smart enough to comprehend it was just a name change.

edit on 15-4-2022 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   

This little book is really something.

Just read another VERY interesting section.

For Diabetes, it says to abstain from all drink during a meal.

Isn't that interesting? From my mothers side of the family this was a common thing. They absolutely do not drink during a meal. If there is any thirst at all just a sip of soup.

This might be the biggest downfall to western diets, loads of Icy Cold drinks during a meal (shoot, i'm guilty guilty guilty)
Many other countries look at us like we are crazy for doing this and I have to say the countries that abstain from liquids are absolutely slimmer and healthier than we are as a whole.

new topics

top topics

join