It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do You notice this at the Grocery Store

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Have you noticed that hardly anyone has a full cart at the grocery store anymore.

I have a bunch of 20 somethings and teens, and family coming for Easter. If you have teens you know how much they can eat.
It is a little shocking how much food they can put down, now take 20 somethings and add to that amount. Now imagine grocery shopping for that.

I had my cart and it was full, and I could just feel the eyes on me. There was a young couple with a baby, I could feel their eyes. I know that look and that feeling because I was young and very broke at one time. They had just a few little items in their cart. I saw the Dad and Son looking over every pack of ground beef to find the cheapest. The elderly people seemed to really scrutinize every purchase and had coupons ready to go.

I know a lot of those things are not uncommon in a grocery store, but what is uncommon is that I was literally the only one with a full cart, or even a cart more than half full. This isn't just a today thing, this is something that i've noticed the last few months. Have you noticed this, and if you work in a store I'm curious if you've seen it too.

What are we going to do? I fear things are going to get worse.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Went shopping today (in Europe).

Noticed prices were about 30% over the last time we bought food.

But the red wine still cost the same.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've noticed lots of full carts.
But I had to wonder, if they just shop like I do.
We only grocery shop once every 2 or 3 weeks, and I switch up buying things like TP and paper towel each time, just to have some stock at home.
Also don't have to buy meat, except the occasional chicken breast.

So while my cart may be full, I may not need to buy anymore of what's in it for a month or two.
Helps save money in the long run.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:38 AM
link   
You can put $1,000 worth of food in your cart without filling it up, because the packages have shrunk and the prices are higher.

A WICKED combination.

Visual Example: www.pinterest.ca...

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:43 AM
link   

My mother orders her groceries online and drives to the store to pick them up. She is 80 and can't walk through the store anymore. She calls me and gives me her list and I put the order in for her. Computers confuse her so I order for her from 700 miles away.

After she picks her order up she calls me and we go through her list to see if she got everything. Rarely does she get everything she ordered. Usually the store marks off a few things a not available.

Some make sense because I always mark things to not be replaced with other more available items. I do that because she is diabetic and she can't have her regular Cheerios replaced with something with more sugar, just as an example.

Other things don't make sense. I'm always shaking my head thinking, why are they out of that item. My wife and I have offered to buy her groceries because it is becoming obvious that she is starting to worry more about prices. We aren't rich but are in a position now that we could do it. In fact I'm thinking of calling my sister and asking her should I do it without telling my mom. Just change the charge to my account.
edit on 14-4-2022 by Khaleesi because: Typo

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:44 AM
link   

My GF and I just took out half of her cash crop [asparagus] out of her garden and putting in produce. We won't be able to consume anything near what we can produce so it will go to our village food bank. Our elders and home bound are suffering. Blessed to be able to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

Also putting in a chicken coop, even though our neighbors supply us with plenty of eggs. Communities need to come together.
edit on 14-4-2022 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So I was buying like beer and a young woman in front of me had like 2 boxes of dippers, 3 cans of formula etc and a small amount of groceries. As she was trying to pay she was short and so was looking at what she could remove to get to her limit. I just couldn't take it and told the cashier to just ring up my beer on it all too and I'll get it. Its pretty sad that people are at the point that they can not buy a weeks worth of food and staples.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I've noticed lots of full carts.
But I had to wonder, if they just shop like I do.
We only grocery shop once every 2 or 3 weeks, and I switch up buying things like TP and paper towel each time, just to have some stock at home.
Also don't have to buy meat, except the occasional chicken breast.

So while my cart may be full, I may not need to buy anymore of what's in it for a month or two.
Helps save money in the long run.

We basically just buy chicken and some rarer cuts of meats at times. We typically get our meat by the half cow or pig, so much cheaper and better eating.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Actually, I have not seen a full car in years, I usually go in the store and carry a basket.

But those on welfare with EBT cards still fill their carts with junk, junk is cheap.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

It's going to get a lot worse.
I used to never pay attention to the tally at the grocery cashier...just run the card through at the end.
Now I pay close attention...and it's always a "WTF" moment.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:07 PM
link   
1. People get most of their groceries on-line and either pick-up or have them delivered.
2. The people who don't use online trips are usually older with smaller families.
3. I've switched to smaller trips just because I don't want to waste. Very few things are significantly discounted so there is very little motivation to stockpile.
4. The were be large increase in mortgage defaults and rental evictions before we see people going without food. People will revert to pasta, rice and potatoes before they will go hungry.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

My GF and I just took out half of her cash crop [asparagus] out of her garden and putting in produce. We won't be able to consume anything near what we can produce so it will go to our village food bank. Our elders and home bound are suffering. Blessed to be able to help those less fortunate than ourselves.

One thing i'm doing is helping young people learn to garden.
Unfortunately people get really weird when it comes to gardening for survival. Most want to do
things like Tomatoes and herbs like basil. That's great and should be part of a garden, but it won't do much in rough times.
I know potatoes and beans aren't sexy, grain crops, etc, this is what people really need to learn how to grow. Some of those crops can be tricky with pests, animals and weather. Heck even farmers lose those crops sometimes.
Growing with long term survial is another thing. Fruit and nut trees, weeds, bark etc.

I think intensive gardening should be taught in schools
I think butchering should be taugh in schools
Baking and cooking from scratch
Basics of sewing
Basics of Shop, wood shop, metal shop and small engine repair.

Most of the world is behind us in wealth but in a survival situation I think a lot of third world people would kick our butts!
Doing the things above is part of daily life.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Stay away from Dollar stores,

Many Dollar Store discounts packed with toxic chemicals: ReportDollar stores are exposing their customers to hundreds of hazardous chemicals contained in packaging, cookware, and even children’s toys according to a study released Tuesday.

The findings from the Campaign for Healthier Solutions and the Ecology Center’s Healthy Stuff Lab come as dollar store chains have expanded across the U.S. in recent years as consumers have relied more heavily on the chains’ low-priced goods.

“With their high profit margins, dollar stores must do more to ensure that all of these products are safe.”

Researchers analyzed 226 products purchased in 2021 from five popular discount stores including Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Five Below, Family Dollar, and 99 Cents Only, concluding that 120 of the products contained at least one “chemical of concern.”

Cheap does not always mean better,

www.nationofchange.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Now I pay close attention...and it's always a "WTF" moment.

That is how I am every single time at Costco.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I only buy for a couple days at a time.

My 14-year-old boy likes veggies and fresh food. Not a junk eater. Doesn't even like spaghetti.

I've got a half-gallon of Cookie Dough ice cream in fridge -- he hasn't touched it.

My shopping is about only having what I need -- so I don't waste anything.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

shrinkflation is becoming a real serious problem. shirking the amount and charging the same or more is just insulting.
More and more manufacturers have been doing this even before the covid BS.

It can all be traced back to Ice Cream. Blue Bell use to use that as a selling point Blue Bell Ice Cream Still A Full Half Gallon was at the end of their commercials. I tried to find a old commercial but they seem to all be pulled or my search skills have deteriorated.

edit on 14-4-2022 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

My 14-year-old boy likes veggies and fresh food. Not a junk eater. Doesn't even like spaghetti.

Very good for him. I am a super smeller/taster. I can tell you straight up what they are advertising as organic is tasting different to me. During the growing season I eat from my garden but in the winter I rely on the grocery store organic romaine/lettuce etc. I can really taste a chemical taste lately. I don't know if it is sprays put on after, or from the water they are using. I think they are trying to get things (esp organic) to not decompose so quickly. Something has changed for sure.

Try to have him grow some at home if you can.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   

For fresh products farmers markets are great for that, locally owned, if you have the luck to be around a place that have them.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

For fresh products farmers markets are great for that, locally owned, if you have the luck to be around a place that have them.

You have to becareful with farmers markets now too, some are buying from discounted stores like Aldi etc, and reselling it as farm fresh. People are desperate for money and are doing some shifty things. If you shop at these places enough you'll be able to tell the difference.

posted on Apr, 14 2022 @ 12:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

Thats exactly what we do. Then I can a lot of it. And it will help the bill, as soon as I can get in the garden.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join