It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Driving causes long term knee cartilage damage and eventually need a new knee

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 04:38 AM
link   
I believe there is a conspiracy in the vehicle industry where they refuse to protect drivers' knees from the vibrations in the pedals.
The vibrations cause damage to the cartilage in the knees and hips and lower back. This mostly affects people who drive as a job and it causes arthritis but nobody is very interested in fixing this. The way to counter this is to wear shoes with soft soles - trainers or sneakers or to wrap the pedals in foam and duct tape.
There are various scientific articles. I have tried to post the links below but I don't think they work so please copy and paste them to google to have a look at them. Thanks.

This article seems to show that vibrations have a bad effect on cartilage in joints but growth effect on the bones!
Low magnitude high frequency vibration accelerated cartilage degeneration but improved epiphyseal bone formation in anterior cruciate ligament transect induced osteoarthritis rat model - PubMed (nih.gov)

Prevalence of musculoskeletal pain among professional drivers: A systematic review - Joseph - 2020 - Journal of Occupational Health - Wiley Online Library

Maybe compulsory padded steering wheel covers on buses would reduce vibrations in the upper body mentioned in the following article.
Prevalence of musculoskeletal pain and associated disability among professional bus drivers: a cross-sectional study | SpringerLink

Rheumatic effects of vibration at work (nih.gov)

Abnormal and cumulative loading in knee osteoarthritis - PubMed (nih.gov)

Biomechanical factors in osteoarthritis (nih.gov)

Abnormal joint loading and the association with knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. - Osteoarthritis and Cartilage (oarsijournal.com)

Vibration Syndrome (83-110) | NIOSH | CDC

Vibration-induced injuries in workers exposed to transient and high frequency vibrations | Journal of Occupational Medicine and Toxicology | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)
Repeated Exposure to High‐Frequency Low‐Amplitude Vibration Induces Degeneration of Murine Intervertebral Discs and Knee Joints - McCann - 2015 - Arthritis & Rheumatology - Wiley Online Library

Knee Pain and Driving Duration: A Secondary Analysis of the Taxi Drivers’ Health Study (nih.gov)

Prevalence of musculoskeletal pain among professional drivers: A systematic review - Joseph - 2020 - Journal of Occupational Health - Wiley Online Library

The epidemiology of agriculture-related osteoarthritis and its impact on occupational disability - PubMed (nih.gov)

Musculoskeletal disorders among Truck and taxi drivers: A retrospective study | Semantic Scholar
edit on 12-4-2022 by Trevster because: I needed to fill out this section

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Trevster

Well done!

When the remedy is so simple, why not just implement the required changes.

So, soft covers for steering wheels and pedals. So simple.

The world is daft.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Heck ill wrap my pedals this weekend. Wont hurt and if it helps my knees a big thank you.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Ummm...one word...

Cruise control...

YouSir

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   
20 years of driving truck on and off highway and my knees, back and shoulders are all shot. Sitting low helps keep knees above hips which helps the lower back. I find the constant bouncing of the air ride seat does more to effect my knees than any vibration, but I also use soft sole shoes in cab for long drives.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Great info, thanks.

I’m around golf a lot and I know aging and avid golfers take golf carts so they don’t hurt their backs and knees. Yet there is more vibration from a golf cart than car. It’s like stop and go traffic on a dirt road for 5 hours.

More reasons to slow down and enjoy the walk.

Especially if I drove 2 hours to get to the course.

posted on Apr, 13 2022 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Electric cars vibrate more or less?

Driverless trucks?

How many other daily things are affecting us unbeknownst?

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 03:37 AM
link   
I know . I hope it helps

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Good luck. Just be careful

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Three words

Adaptive cruise control.

top topics

join