It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VFW Post are dying out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 06:06 AM
link   
As a Veteran, I had the opportunity to visit one in my hometown. There was so much warmth among us Veterans. It really saddens me to read this article.
www.military.com...

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Just got up and beginning coffee.

My dad runs a local VFW, or he calls himself "Serge". He's a Desert Storm Veteran and served with the Pennsylvania Air National Guard 112th TFG up till it was disbanded in the the late 1990s.

Membership is down, but this area has a very high number of military veterans of an older generation still. The younger ones come to the VFW for friends and more.

They are up at the post almost daily doing fundraisers for the post as well as organizing help with medical bills and other needs.

When a veteran passes, my dad will get others in the area together to form the Honor Guards needed at funeral services with arms.

When Covid came, they had to shutter the doors to be complaint. They still are not up to needed revenue. They had to let employees go. They rely on sales of food and beverages to keep the doors open. They don't get exemptions for hosting military veterans.

The scene has changed as far as the OLD guys who are the drinkers and smokers versus the younger more athletic crowd. The younger folks don't want to sit around in a bar if you will.

The VFW offers so much more than a place to be with others. The valuable resources are amazing when well connected as such.

Just a small place.
www.facebook.com...

There's plenty that goes on at that VFW post. I don't have time to list them all, but I'm happy they are around.

edit on 11-4-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Just got up and beginning coffee.

My dad runs a local VFW, or he calls himself "Serge". He's a Desert Storm Veteran and served with the Pennsylvania Air National Guard 112th TFG up till it was disbanded in the the late 1990s.

Membership is down, but this area has a very high number of military veterans of an older generation still. The younger ones come to the VFW for friends and more.

They are up at the post almost daily doing fundraisers for the post as well as organizing help with medical bills and other needs.

When a veteran passes, my dad will get others in the area together to form the Honor Guards needed at funeral services with arms.

When Covid came, they had to shutter the doors to be complaint. They still are not up to needed revenue. They had to let employees go. They rely on sales of food and beverages to keep the doors open. They don't get exemptions for hosting military veterans.

The scene has changed as far as the OLD guys who are the drinkers and smokers versus the younger more athletic crowd. The younger folks don't want to sit around in a bar if you will.

The VFW offers so much more than a place to be with others. The valuable resources are amazing when well connected as such.

Just a small place.
www.facebook.com...

Thanks for posting.
As a Vietnam era Veteran I was kind of a new comer to the VFW in my hometown. I did notice most Vets drinking sodas, so yes a lot has change. At the post a few nights a week they served free food. The chili was so good on a cold December night. The only support I know for us Veterans, active or not is the church in Iwakuni that gives out a helping had, but no VFW here.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Wing night's are good, never re-use the oil or you'll upset the vets! They are strict when they want good food.

Hot meals and a friendly voices to let yo know you are not alone in this world.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
As a Veteran, I had the opportunity to visit one in my hometown. There was so much warmth among us Veterans. It really saddens me to read this article.
www.military.com...

It's not much of an organization to be loyal to. I paid my life-member dues. They gave me a little paper card with the date 1999 printed on the back of it. They send me a magazine that gets promptly dropped into the trash can and they SPAM my e-mail begging for money.

Don't know if there's a rhyme or reason to their membership #s. Mine reads 58575XX. Does that mean over 5 million people have been members at one time or another? My old man (a WWII vet) twisted my arm to sign-up for the local post. I guess they needed an increase for some kind of recognition back then.

My son is a combat vet too. I would never recommend the VFW to him. I'll let him find it on his own.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

Must be different from one location to the next. I have heard of some post being sub par, but ours is pretty busy. Many are trying to get in as Social Members, but they are not taking applications right now.

As mentioned, you don't need a church with walls to congregate and be together.
edit on 11-4-2022 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Hope I didn't come-off as totally negative about the VFW. Not every organization can suit everybody's tastes. I probably ought'a go check out the local chapter, but there always seem to be other things taking precedence.

I did like the VFW in Copperas Cove. Only place you could visit that served beer (dry county). Never figured out how the VFW got an exception. The beer was cold and wet. :-D

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I only know about the one I visited . It was on a cold and snowy winter night that I walked over 7 miles to visit. I felt welcomed and enjoy the donation only chili.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:50 AM
link   

You're not coming off as anything other than being honest.
No not every location is steller. And even my dad has had nasty things said to him over the years.

I did like the VFW in Copperas Cove. Only place you could visit that served beer (dry county). Never figured out how the VFW got an exception. The beer was cold and wet. :-D

Pennsylvania blue laws apply here... no exceptions. *rolls eyes*.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic
www.military.com...

I had to look it up because I knew VFW were earlier than Vietnam I just didn’t realize how long they have been around.
Since the Spanish American War!!!!!

I think how this generations connects is just so different than previous generations.
Like Big mentioned people don’t want to just sit around a bar. Also when I think of VFW I really think of a very male dominated place, and we know how that flies over these days.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Off subject but it's relevant.

There are hundreds of Volunteer Fire Companies here. They used to have Bingo every friday and Saturday nights.

Old Bingo Ladies are dying out... that was a big chunk of the income for most companies.

Times are changing and so are our interest of where we get together.

posted on Apr, 12 2022 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Copperas Cove

Out by the bush country where the GIs and free-range cattle play. Was a calm place way back when.

Cheers

posted on May, 27 2022 @ 05:37 AM
link   
we'd go alot.. on the east coast. when we traveled, to eat.

our family friend was a paratrooper in WW2, Normandy.

i asked him once what VFW meant.

he said veterans of funny wars.

my dad was a wounded Korean vet. step dad too.

i used to run the grill for the one in the town i lived in in the 80's in Colorado when i could.

nice place. small town. they didn't mind my long hair. lol.

they were mostly old timers from ww2

wow haven't thought about vfw's for a while.

posted on May, 27 2022 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Our VFW is more of a hangout for veteran motorcycle clubs... always a big party every month.

top topics

join