It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What’s with advertising and cross promotion playing with emotions in music?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Recently qantas have used a tones and I song, Fly away.

The same song is used to promote the new series of LEGO masters Australia.

Are these tossy marketing execs trying to bleed the licensing of this song, of two different products a pee poor way to tug at people’s heartstrings, or just a cheap way to relate two tossy products with the one song?

Cheap cross promotion?

Does this happen in your country?

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

I wish I could tell you what's happening in our commercials here in the US, publicly.

It wouldn't be politically correct in spite of being entirely based in fact.

I have noticed cross-promotion all over music, tv, movies, fast food, cars, and more too I'm sure. It used to subtle, now they sell Transformers edition vehicles. People buy the crap too.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 06:44 AM
link   
What is " cross plateform ' ?

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I imagine Olura can speak with more knowledge, but look at movies, for example.

Companies pay them for product placement. For a great example, research why reese's pieces soared in sales in the mid 80's.

You also will see a product on the big screen and small screen, and when you see that shot, you can see the logo of the product....not the back.

It really is fascinating to study commercials for a time period, and then look at the next generation 's morals, values and likes. The psychology of advertising and the sub-study of subliminal messaging is simple and elegant.
edit on 11-4-2022 by theatreboy because: The NSA knows why....

edit on 11-4-2022 by theatreboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Yes. Worldwide. It's called targeted marketing, advertising.

You're been given info, while takin in the backgrounds, voices, colors....even stuff on shelves in background.

Example: We watch a single movie screen, home, theatre....and yet in the single box as we stare....and hundreds of items in it's box: for reasons of influence.

My Qualifications in common ended w me producing a Pepsi commercial in Detroit in 2000, a few dozen more in Chicago and Miami. Also about 25 rock videos.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

The psychology of advertising and the sub-study of subliminal messaging is simple and elegant.

So true, but you forgot disgusting. It would be nice to wish that the manipulative scope of advertising remained at the Bernays level of 80 years ago but it hasn't. Major universities have continued to crank out highly educated graduates in the fields of psychology and advertising for that entire period and what they know now on how to influence the mind is, well, mind boggling. They now even use silence. Ever seen that one? Yep. They tell you that they will gift you with a minutes worth of silence and only, in a very pretty way, put the products name on the screen. Ahh how soothing. MFers.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I have a friend who teaches marketing in the local business school...otherwise a nice guy. He would say he only teaches what and how marketing works empirically, not the morality of it...which is too bad. He has recounted the historical nature...how advertisers would expound on the virtues of their product, and compare to "brand X"...at least you had some (one-sided) idea on how the product or service actually worked and would be a benefit. Now it is all feeling-based showing how you will feel using this product...not how it will work for you. And fast-forward to the woke-based benefits of how the product will make you appear to others. Even the companies themselves get into their self-perception of trendy woke settings in their commercials interspersed with the various combinations of minorities to show what a great company they are.

One thing I do like that the wokesters can't improve on in commercials...they are always using boomer music in their ads...proving once again what trash the music industry currently puts out.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

not the morality of it...which is too bad.

Decades ago I tried sales for a while. I was very good at it. But the morality of it weighed heavily upon me and I had to quit. I could go into a list of examples of the immorality of it but I think you know the list well enough. It's basically exploiting a persons ''unconscious'' weaknesses.

But, could you expand upon your almost interchangeable use of the word, ''woke'' with the word, ''trendy''? Though I hardly yes the word ''woke'' having found it a simple derogatory world to use in regards ''liberals'' I do use the word ''trendy.

I use ''trendy'' to describe the leading edge of popular culture, that is people who flock to whatever is the ''new thing'' and to at least some degree without thought, again following an ''unconscious'' drive to be part of the ''fun'' and the ''glamorous'' lifestyles of those '' trend setters''.

While I see the word ''woke'' as being mostly used by conservatives to describe those they see as being liberal. This is an easy consideration I think, to view all those ''trendy'' types as being liberal when to my sight their political leanings may or may not coincide with liberalism, they do however fit nicely into that category of '''unconscious'' wannabes flocking to what ever is in vogue in the popular culture.

But the key here for me is that this ''popular culture'' is not limited to what can be considered ''liberalism''. Even use of the word ''woke'' by those who consider themselves ''conservative'' can be seen as an example. It is noticeable to recognize just how quickly the use of that word ''woke'' caught on in conservative circles. It is used here rather constantly and however not just the only one of that ''brand''. There are many others that fly around the info-sphere after having been used by this talking head or that pundit on TV or widely viewed pod casts.

Because, as I see it there is not just one ''popular culture''. There are several, all competing for the minds, no make that ''unconscious'' minds of the American public.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: theatreboy

Your post resonates with my observation. Here in my country we have two different "you"/"Sie". The first is formal and used first and foremost, the second is more private "du".

Children use the private form on themselves and on adults they know (family, friends).
Adults use the formal form, except they offer the private form to each other.

Up until a few years, advertisement would adhere to this conformity. Only children advertising they used the private "you". Now I noticed in the last few years, I listen a lot of radio and less TV, how the advertisements get more brazen.

Suddenly the speaker approaches me like I am his friend and uses the private "du" on me. That's a line overstepped and most of those ads are targeted at young adults "You deserve it..." and similar messages inside the ad. Speaking to the greed and entitlement of the listener.

That's an intrusion, for me. For English speakers or other languages that do not have it, sure it's hard to grasp or get behind but it is constantly grinding away the formal borders. Often those ads also have a tone and wording that make them almost condescending. Especially the state sponsored ads since COVID do this.

Again, hard to convey when the concept is not a thing in English.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Here is a video where music and prose is used to inform and enlighten others on the origins of our modern advertising system..

This video..I have linked alot.. I'll be the first to admit.

But it's because what's being talked about here is still being used by corporation and governments alike to shape world events with consent instead of dissent..

Also the modern warfare 3 game play is L33t 👍

Without further ado..

Respectfully
~meathead

edit on 11-4-2022 by Mike Stivic because: Fixed out to our

new topics

top topics

join