It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Keto Diet No oatmeal oatmeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 11:28 AM
link   
So have been tweaking my Keto diet and have been losing weight, eating a small bowl of oatmeal for breakfast most mornings for about 6 weeks, eggs spinach/tomato otherwise. The weight is coming off but was reading about the carbs in oatmeal. So I knew oatmeal had carbs but just not how many, I assumed my half a cup of oats in the morning were much less than they were.

However, I found this No oats oatmeal recipe below and while as a guy it sounds awful I dutifully order all the ingredients and gave it shot. A little wary cause the last time I had something with hemp hearts, it tasted like eating nothing but hay and grass like a mule. However

I did my first test with cinnamon and honey and sans the vanilla extract and coconut, and honestly, it wasn't bad at all. It was actually a fairly close facsimile of oatmeal and 5 net carbs. It's filling enough and sits in my stomach well. WHO KNEW

It's damn expensive though compared to regular oatmeal, though I think now that I got a base recipe I can add enough additions to give me some variety and easily stick below the standard keto diet daily carb intake of between 20 to 50g.

No Oatmeal Oatmeal recipe

Ingredients
▢½ cup water
▢2 tablespoons hemp hearts
▢2 tablespoons almond flour
▢2 tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
▢1 tablespoon golden flaxseed meal
▢1 tablespoon chia seeds
▢¼ teaspoon granulated stevia/erythritol blend or any kind of sweetener you like, to taste
▢1 pinch salt
▢½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Helpful Tips
Net Carbs: 5g per serving
Water: You can use your favorite kind of milk instead, or just stir in a splash of your favorite kind of milk or cream once it’s cooked for a creamier texture. (But IMHO, it really doesn’t need it!)
Variations:
Mango Cardamom: Add ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom to the noatmeal; top with ¼ cup mango puree.
Maple Walnut: Top with 1 teaspoon maple syrup and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.
Blueberry Pie: Add ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon; stir in ⅓ cup blueberries (fresh or frozen) right before serving.
Cinnamon Brown Sugar: Add ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon; top with 1 pat grass-fed butter and ½ teaspoon coconut sugar.
Pina Colada: Top with ⅓ cup cubed fresh pineapple and 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut.
Almond Joy: Top with 1 tablespoon chocolate chips, 1 tablespoon chopped toasted almonds, and 1 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 01:25 PM
link   
That actually sounds kind of good; I wouldn't mind giving it a try! Thanks for sharing.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1
That actually sounds kind of good; I wouldn't mind giving it a try! Thanks for sharing.

It is actually pretty good, have no doubt there are all kinds of additions that would give it some variety. Plus read somewhere it can be mixed up and left in the fridge overnight and it's okay if served cold or hot.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: nugget1

It is actually pretty good, have no doubt there are all kinds of additions that would give it some variety. Plus read somewhere it can be mixed up and left in the fridge overnight and it's okay if served cold or hot.

I've done that with regular oats and actually prefer them that way. Knowing it can be done with this recipe gives me even more incentive to give it a try.

When the last child left home I hung a plaque that say:

This kitchen is closed due to illness;
I'm sick of cooking.

Anything that can be called a meal without involving the stove and a sink full of dirty dishes gets high priority in my book! I just ordered the flax, chia and hemp. Can't wait to try this!
edit on 600000022America/Chicago301 by nugget1 because: ETA

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

I think a TSP or two of chopped pecans would be nice.
Subbing butter for the milk.

I will have to try this soon, thanks.
I do love oatmeal, but it is pretty carby.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

I think a TSP or two of chopped pecans would be nice.
Subbing butter for the milk.

I will have to try this soon, thanks.
I do love oatmeal, but it is pretty carby.

Yep I used to do my oatmeal sometimes with pecans and light maple syrup, think I already got everything I need in the pantry for tomorrow

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 04:43 PM
link   

How long is it cooked?

I read too much heat will compromise some of the nutrients in the hemp.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I've been considering biting the bullet and trying the keto diet, but I just love oatmeal and potato's too much. Yogurt as well. Pretty cool recipe though. Sounds quite tasty and I will have to keep it in mind if I ever try keto.

posted on Apr, 9 2022 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Oats do have some good health chemistry to them. The carbs in natural oatmeal in a small amount should not be a problem. Even cats outside eat the heads and leaves of oats, Rye, and other grains.....almost all carnivours chew on these things because there is some chemistry they need to balance the high protein diet. It is hard to find this information on the net, I spent a lot of time researching what I was observing with our cats and even some martens we have around here.

The heads of most grains contain molybdenum which is part of the Moco group of enzymes which is necessary for the creation of sufite oxidase which is used to both create and utilize taurine in the body. Taurine gets bound in meat with cooking of meats and pasteurization of milk and is way less bioavailable. But without adequate sulfite oxidase Taurine supplementation in cat food and human food is not that practical. The majority of molybdenum is found in the seeds of plants. Notice in the recipe in the op there are seed sources, but some of the chemistries could cause problems in some people. Plus all that stuff is way more expensive than organic oatmeal and it takes more time to make.

I benefited by changing all grains to organic, and make most of our breads. I make a three grain organic trio for breakfast sometimes. One third cup organic oats, one third cup organic Rye flakes, and one third cup of organic barley flakes...simmered for fifteen minutes in two cups water. pretty good feeling and no sluggishness from it like I get from just oats. It needs to be stirred every few minutes. Tastes great with a little strawberry freezer jam mixed in it, Definitely not keto friendly...That is enough for three people.

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DontTreadOnMe

How long is it cooked?

I read too much heat will compromise some of the nutrients in the hemp.

It's pretty much like quick oats, just till boiling is fine. Even though it is just a preference it can be mixed up cold as well.

posted on Apr, 10 2022 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I also looked at recipes online.
I think I will make up a mixture, using oats as my base, and then adding the hemp, chia and flaxmeal. Omitting the almond flour totally.
I just need to cut carbs, as well as up the protein, not go all keto.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Oatmeal is horrible for you. A lie told by the cereal industries. It also raises your blood sugar tremendously!

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Last year I'd have laughed at you for that.

Since my other half was diagnosed with type two diabetes and went on a keto style diet cut her carbs down to less than 30 grams per day and reversed the diabetes in less than 12 months I'm I'm now in agreement with you.

originally posted by: inflaymes
Oatmeal is horrible for you. A lie told by the cereal industries. It also raises your blood sugar tremendously!

posted on Apr, 15 2022 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I have to thank you again for this post!
The grains arrived and I sampled each one; the hemp hearts were nutty/sweet, reminding me a bit of cashew nuts. The Flax meal reminded me of walnuts, and the chia seeds had an 'earthy' flavor that brought raw snow peas to mind.
I didn't order any almond flour since I already had some- which I couldn't find, of course. I just added a bit more of the other ingredients, a pinch of salt, splash of vanilla, milk and some craisins. I nuked it for 30 seconds the next morning and had a wonderful breakfast!
I noticed on flax meal and chia seeds that they both can be used in place of eggs for baking; whish I had known this decades ago when not having a couple of eggs was the only thing coming between me and a chocolate cake!

I have some plain humus that's a bit bland; I think I'm going to try dressing it up with some flax and see what I get.
I have some new tools for my recipe box now; too bad I gave up cooking. lol

top topics

join