It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Things Gardening

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I've been gardening a long time, but this year feels different.
I've got my supplies ready to go and I have longevity in mind.

I'm fortunate that I have a lot of land and a head start. This year I'm going to focus on vegetables that keep well. The winter squashes. The things I can dry. I'm going to play around with making potato startch. I've been pretty successful in sun dehydrating peppers and some other vegetable/herbs.

I did a lot companion planting last year, but I think I'm going to revert back. This year I'm going to make more barriers against deer and small animals.
I didn't have too much of a problem until late in the season.

This lady is my favorite Youtuber. Her videos are so relaxing but they are also so educational in the ancestral ways of making things and gardening. Even though there it is in a different language it's easy to watch. When my mom was alive we watched a lot of the videos and I asked her how authentic they were and she said 100%.

edit on 7-4-2022 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Fyi spray fish emulsion and neem to help with deer pressure. They hate the smell.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:02 PM
link   

With my new foraging book I am going to be less likely to rip out things I once thought were just weeds, turns out their edible as well.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
And medicinal.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I do a big garden every year, and can most of it.
I've started doing larger crops and switching them out every other year.
Corn, tomatoes, peppers peas, (and a row of onion for the chili/goulash starter.
Then the next year,
Squash, watermelons, carrots, beets (mostly smaller quantity stuff, that we don't eat as much of.

Ever had dehydrated watermelon? OMG so good.

From now till planting season, I'll be canning meats, to clean out the freezer and make room for another 1/2 cow.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

With my new foraging book I am going to be less likely to rip out things I once thought were just weeds, turns out their edible as well.

Two books I've been studying.

I'm actually growing white dandelions. The entire plant is so valuable. Too bad most see them as just ugly weeds.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:13 PM
link   

It's crazy, there's stuff growing off the driveway that you can eat. Good thing is it comes pre-oiled with all the run off.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I work in a nursery and I'm fifteen minutes late for work and I so badly want to read this. Will later!

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

This is a good book that examines farming/gardening for self reliance and self sufficiency. As such it looks at ways of doing it organically without relying modern chemicals and things you need to buy in all the time.

It’s available to read here
link

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:17 PM
link   

It's crazy, there's stuff growing off the driveway that you can eat. Good thing is it comes pre-oiled with all the run off.

I know you're joking, but that is exactly why I am growing my weeds. The other thing a lot of people don't realize is that their soil is sooooo poisoned, toxic!

I have a dedicated garden area, I know what soil is there, I know it is not sprayed. It is a very controlled area. Now if I'm starving, yes I'll forage, but i'll try to do it in the safest areas I know, away from trains, roadways and areas with a lot of businesses or industrial areas. Luckily we do still have a lot of virgin open land here.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Same. I have a couple dedicated garden areas for different types of vegetables based on sun needs. I only use compost to treat the soil and try to plant complimentary plants to help reduce predation and encourage pollinators. Part of this is planting native species as local insects can only pollinate those.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Same. I have a couple dedicated garden areas for different types of vegetables based on sun needs. I only use compost to treat the soil and try to plant complimentary plants to help reduce predation and encourage pollinators. Part of this is planting native species as local insects can only pollinate those.

I have a lot of pollinators because I grow a ton of flowers.
I also just get a qtip and do the pollinating myself, it works amazing. I did it on pumpkins and had a massive crop. I highly recommend everyone try this to increase your yields!

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
Fyi spray fish emulsion and neem to help with deer pressure. They hate the smell.

You know the problem with fish emulsion. I too hate the smell!

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:26 PM
link   

I did this with my squash blossoms before I ate the flowers. I still have whole squash in the pantry from last fall. Gourds last a long time and I've even been giving some to the dogs, they go bonkers for roasted squash.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

One of my favorite newest tools, Japanese weeding sickle

This sucker is a beast, can also double as a zombie weapon

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Das my kinah ho.

posted on Apr, 7 2022 @ 03:35 PM
link   
'Dirty western dog. See how China has beautiful farmland and bountiful produce all the time far outstanding dirty corrupt Western chemical lands.' lol

join