It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

cycling is booming

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
For those of us that love to cycle, this article is one of the best I've come across. It does take a bit of time for the upload of the page, so hang in there.

www.bicycle-guider.com...

Anyone here have cycling traveling plans this year. I do. Hopefully I'll make it up to Hokkaido, Japan this summer.
edit on 0400000016482022-04-02T21:48:16-05:00481604pm9 by musicismagic because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Apr 2 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: removed link from title

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:04 PM
link   
For some reason, when I got in the accident and got temporal lobe epilepsy, I lost my ability to drive a bicycle or motorcycle. I cannot balance correctly. I used to like driving a bike, especially one with an engine, but now I can't anymore. Oh well, that's life. I seem to try every two or three years and no change has occurred. I actually liked riding a bike and especially a motorcycle. I even have problems with riding a four wheeler around curves...sort of a delay in proper timing of leaning when I go faster.

I won't be doing any cycling anymore and haven't been able to since around 2003. I fixed bicycles for my grandkids and could not even take them for a test ride to check if they handled right. At least I can still fix them though.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
For some reason, when I got in the accident and got temporal lobe epilepsy, I lost my ability to drive a bicycle or motorcycle. I cannot balance correctly. I used to like driving a bike, especially one with an engine, but now I can't anymore. Oh well, that's life. I seem to try every two or three years and no change has occurred. I actually liked riding a bike and especially a motorcycle. I even have problems with riding a four wheeler around curves...sort of a delay in proper timing of leaning when I go faster.

I won't be doing any cycling anymore and haven't been able to since around 2003. I fixed bicycles for my grandkids and could not even take them for a test ride to check if they handled right. At least I can still fix them though.

Wow! Really sorry to hear that. I got a blog on cycling here in Japan. I don't really know what I'd do if I was in your position. Cycling other than walking is 100% of my transportation. Well, I do take the train also.
I guess I could post my adventures on this thread once I'm ready to leave for Hokkaido.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Still looking for a good long bed bicycle with a ladder rack. They seem to be quite rare.

I have one with front and back racks. Just in case I need to go to the store when gas is higher. The nearest store is 2.5 miles away.

Gas too high, walk to the store they say. I think they are also the ones that think food comes from a grocery store, they somehow make it in the back.

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 12:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: beyondknowledge
Still looking for a good long bed bicycle with a ladder rack. They seem to be quite rare.

I have one with front and back racks. Just in case I need to go to the store when gas is higher. The nearest store is 2.5 miles away.

Gas too high, walk to the store they say. I think they are also the ones that think food comes from a grocery store, they somehow make it in the back.

bicycleville is coming soon to America

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I was told after the big earthquake every bicycle shop in Tokyo was full of men in suits waving bundles of cash. When disaster strikes you need a bike.

Bicycles used to be designed to last a hundred years with minimum maintenance. They were comfortable.
onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk...

Then the controllers decided we should all become fossil fuel dependent. They took over bicycle manufacturing and used mind control techniques to steer bicycle culture. The result was a host of bicycle designs that emphasise sporting aspects requiring you to hold your body in uncomfortable positions.

pezcyclingnews.com...

www.mtbtreks.com...

Recumbent bikes are the most comfortable to ride and have least wind resistance, but they're expensive. wheretheroadforks.com...

www.nextstopwhere.com...

The general rule is the more upright or laid back you are on your bike the more you smile. Most bike manufacturers don't want you to be happy. They want you to buy, be dissatisfied, and buy again.

edit on 3 4 2022 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I need a biking companion on my cycling tour of Japan this Spring. I think I'll give her ( Cindy ) a call and see if she wants to join.

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 06:23 AM
link   
DH and I quit cycling and touring here in the US. It's just not worth the risk. Drivers are increasingly more aggressive and distracted. You are putting your life at risk by sharing the road with automobiles here as most of the US is not bicycle friendly.
edit on 3-4-2022 by JourneyAbout because: clarification

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: JourneyAbout
DH and I quit cycling and touring here in the US. It's just not worth the risk. Drivers are increasingly more aggressive and distracted. You are putting your life at risk by sharing the road with automobiles here as most of the US is not bicycle friendly.

You know with all the money going into the build back safer bill, you'd think the cities would have bike lanes. America needs to wake up. Yet everyone talks big about the new green deal, sadly they have no idea what they are talking about.
If America put 30million bicycles on the road, that's your new green deal.

I know what I'd do if I were President and that would not mean sit on my a$$ and watch America sink to a new low daily.

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 07:31 AM
link   
A lot of Americans are too FAT to think that they would jump on a bike. A LARK maybe.

And we here in Connecticut have put tons of money into bike paths. We are connecting all our town with multiple bike paths. You can walk them, take your dog on them, bike, skate, or whatever.

And of course, there will be those that complain that money is being spent on silly liberal bike paths. And you know I'm not lying.

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I bought a 3 wheeler with a shopping basket behind a few years ago because the supermarket is not far from my house and to save taxi fares plus I owned one as a kid and loved it .

This THing was made in China and as I was building it I got the strange feeling that something was not right especially the way the chain deviated from the front crank to back axle ? The back right wheel is the drive wheel for some reason with a small notch init to drive the wheels ,long story short I have real real good balance and one of my party tricks is turning a bar stool upside down and walking about on two of the legs ,I used to do this at my work with loads of 2 gallon buckets piled inside each other 2-3 foot tall ,who needs steps they just slow you down in the building trade .but that think is dangerous and unusable even on a path you think is flat you are leaning over thinking you are falling of it has 7 gears which are useless even on the flat ,it's been lying out the back rusting away for 2 years it is that bad .

MM need to visit the UK to see how many potholes our roads have

. People can get lost in them cycling here is really taking your life in your hands

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 11:03 PM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge

Have a look at Yuba Mundo's. Rear deck is twice longer than a normal rear carrier and can handle 440 pounds of cargo. I ride mine to work every day which is about 15 miles all up..

posted on Apr, 4 2022 @ 10:53 AM
link   

You should try a tricycle or recumbent bicycle. With 3 wheels you don't have to balance.

Or maybe one of these.

This looks like a good one.

www.gadgetreview.com...
edit on 4-4-2022 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2022 @ 11:07 AM
link   

This year RAGBRAI starts from the town next door. I'm seriously thinking of taking that Sunday and riding the first leg of the trip.

Link

Sunday, July 24: Sergeant Bluff to Ida Grove
Miles: 55.8

Feet of climb: 2,637

Day 1 will start and end in the same towns as the first day of RAGBRAI in 2006.

Located off Interstate 29, Sergeant Bluff, population 5,015, is an industrial area of northwest Iowa just down the road from Sioux City's east side — though residents adamantly insist they're not a suburb of their larger neighbor. Over the last 10 years the town's population has grown by about 800, according to the 2020 U.S. Census.

Nestled in the Loess Hills, the city takes its name from Sgt. Charles Floyd, a Kentucky native who was the only member of Lewis and Clark's 1804 expedition to die enroute, succumbing to appendicitis on a nearby bluff over the Missouri River. The Iowa Air National Guard 185th Refueling Wing operates out of Sioux Gateway Airport, just west of the town.

posted on Apr, 4 2022 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: ntech

You should try a tricycle or recumbent bicycle. With 3 wheels you don't have to balance.

Or maybe one of these.

This looks like a good one.

www.gadgetreview.com...

No thanks, I will stick to a car or tractor. If I cannot properly drive the four wheeler at speeds over twenty mph on uneven terrain, why would a three wheeler be better.....with all the potholes and screwed up streets around here, it would be smother riding in a hay field. Cripes, they screw up the struts on a car if you hit a pothole.

I have three vehicles on the road....If I want exercise I will work in the garden, cut wood, split wood, mow the grass, or walk around the grocery store. It does not cost anything to walk around town either...as long as you don't step in a pot hole. My grandson was riding his bike home one day and hit a little hole on the side walk and flew over the handlebars and broke his forearm in two places. My brother hit a hole with his motorcycle while out trail riding and smashed both front teeth costing him many hundreds of dollars years ago too when he went over the handlebars. There are other ways to get exercise, I own a bow flex and an exercise bike like thing sort of like what action a rowing machine would give you.

I am now sixty six, riding a bike around town where drivers are constantly distracted by cell phones and technology is kind of risky.

posted on Sep, 15 2022 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

I was told after the big earthquake every bicycle shop in Tokyo was full of men in suits waving bundles of cash. When disaster strikes you need a bike.

Bicycles used to be designed to last a hundred years with minimum maintenance. They were comfortable.
onlinebicyclemuseum.co.uk...

Then the controllers decided we should all become fossil fuel dependent. They took over bicycle manufacturing and used mind control techniques to steer bicycle culture. The result was a host of bicycle designs that emphasise sporting aspects requiring you to hold your body in uncomfortable positions.

pezcyclingnews.com...

www.mtbtreks.com...

Recumbent bikes are the most comfortable to ride and have least wind resistance, but they're expensive. wheretheroadforks.com...

www.nextstopwhere.com...

The general rule is the more upright or laid back you are on this bike the more you smile. Most bike manufacturers don't want you to be happy. They want you to buy, be dissatisfied, and buy again.

Your words have a certain meaning. A few years ago I tried my father's bike and was surprised how comfortable it was. Unfortunately I don't remember the manufacturer. The only difficulty was in keeping my balance, but this was due to the fact that I simply tried to transfer from my bike to another. Mine requires a hunched back, which is very uncomfortable.

top topics

join