It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

False Event, Panic: Gunshots Believed Heard in Airport: Cancun, Mexico: Nothing Happened.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Well the title says it all, really, doesn't it, lol. I witnessed this strange event on Monday, March 28, 2022, upon returning to the airport, to fly home, after a vacation.

Just before we exited the car, everyone was suddenly running away from the building, even jumping out of cars that were sitting there, in front of the building. I knew right away that it had to be a shooting, for this reaction, in all these hundreds of people.

We likewise ran away from the cab, and stayed away for a few minutes, then the police and national guard etc. showed up with machine guns and convincingly secured the airport, which was never officially shut-down or evacuated, at any point. They showed up with their machine guns roughly 5 minutes after the believed gunshots happened.

So after that, we wandered back into the airport and I caught some video clips of the strange scene.

In this case, I do think it's clear that there really was NOT the believed event that triggered the mass stampede. Especially that the building was never really officially shut down / evacuated, then officials did not really have any chance to cover up such an event.

So I do genuinely think it's a classic case of crowd panic over a false impression of a loud noise believed to be something that it was not.

As for the actual noise that triggered the event, I find it easy to believe that one of the many machines could have broken down in a way that it released a few loud noises / popping sounds, and that would do it.

Anyway I posted some video clips recorded after the non-event happened... as this phenomenon of crowd panic over a non-event, is an unusual social situation that deserves to be looked at, when something like this happens, every once in a great while.

Mostly no commentary, so I just posted the natural recording of the situation, a few minutes after the crowd stampeded away from the inside of the building. No editing at all, besides the fact of several different clips, put together.

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JamesChessman

Lol are DC skate shoes standard police issue in meheko?

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

and "tactical" skinny jeans

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: shasta9600

No wonder the cartel scoffs at these clowns.

Did you notice in the video thumbnail the dude in the way left has his pistol straight up tucked in his pants no holster, he’s asking to get chedda bobbed n shoot his # off. Lololol
edit on 30-3-2022 by Brotherman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 09:26 PM
link   
There were several different security and law enforcement organizations that flooded the airport. Including normal airport security guards & probably airport police, then also local police from the city, maybe police from different towns / cities, plus the National Guard, and Nat'l Guard Investigative Unit etc.

So anyways I think the outfits look funny because every one is dressed differently, and some looks like plain clothes, so yeah it looks funny lol.

posted on Mar, 30 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   

I guess my point in a sarcastic way is, if you want to respond to a potential active shooter in a large open area like an airport dressed in skinny jeans and maneuvering in flat bottom skater shoes with a pistol tucked in your pants pointed straight at your Willy, your a dumb ass.

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I did see something odd at mark 3:24. The camera was looking at the kiosks. Then scanning left. To me it looked like the legs of a person laying face down poking out from behind the pillar. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong. If it was a person face down it would have been different I would think.

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kocag
I did see something odd at mark 3:24. The camera was looking at the kiosks. Then scanning left. To me it looked like the legs of a person laying face down poking out from behind the pillar. Maybe I'm seeing this wrong. If it was a person face down it would have been different I would think.

Good eye!

That does vaguely resemble a person's legs face-down. And I can't really say exactly what that spot is showing... except I really do think it's established that there never really was a shooter, nor gunshots, nor gunshot victims etc.

...So if it really is a person's legs, laying face down... then it could be a person who is still hiding, maybe. Video was recorded while MOST people were still hiding outside of the building, so there was still a strong fear response in the mob of people. (I started recording, probably like 8 minutes after the believed gunshots.)

There's also a less likely explanation that it's a person laying there because he somehow got hurt, like maybe he fell or got knocked over, during the stampede? But it seems almost impossible, as per the lack of response by everyone else around that area. There are people standing behind the desks, on both sides of him, plus groups of people in front, in the general waiting area. When the camera pans over the odd spot, it rests on a few airport employees who are talking and fixing the lines. Nobody even goes to look at the weird spot there.

...I think it's most-likely that we're seeing some random debris, like maybe a jacket, maybe a shoe, etc.

It could also be a long piece of luggage, to explain the long shape & size, for example, it could literally be a set of ski's, they have long bags to travel with. So maybe someone just went to Cancun with his favorite set of water-ski's.

...My vid might not really show it, but in addition to the random suitcases laying on the floor, there were also occasional shoes and sandals laying around, and hats, sunglasses, etc. Because people dropped everything when they panicked and ran out of the building.

...So I think we're seeing a long luggage, like for a set of ski's, with something else in front, like a jacket.

The white part is probably the inside of the jacket, or something like that.

The white part doesn't really hold up as being a shoe, it's more of a random shape which only bears such resemblance at first glance, imo.

edit on 31-3-2022 by JamesChessman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: shasta9600

No wonder the cartel scoffs at these clowns.

Did you notice in the video thumbnail the dude in the way left has his pistol straight up tucked in his pants no holster, he’s asking to get chedda bobbed n shoot his # off. Lololol

Really this is outside my own frame of reference, to really comment on. I know the scene looks funny and unreal. But I'm also not one to be able to comment on all the different agencies and their gun practices. It's a chaotic mash-up of all different security groups and police agencies etc.

So as awkward as Cheddar Bob looks with his gun, I'd probably guess that he's normally not packing in his everyday job, but he strapped up for the sudden event. Hence why his pants are too tight, I guess, lol. He might be a general airport security guard, or maybe even a general mall security guy, who normally never touches a gun.

But aside from this bizarre chaotic scene, I can say from a few vacations in Cancun that the normal police sighting is very intimidating. So I don't think you're right about the cartel being unafraid of them, or whatever you were implying along those lines. The normal look is for a truck full of police drives the streets everyday with lights constantly flashing, probably 6 police per car, complete with at least one cop standing in the back of the truck with a machine gun. Then when there's a group of police trucks, each one already automatically has that one guy standing in the back, w/ machine gun, like an action figure play-set. So 6 trucks is probably at least 30 cops, and at least 6 guys standing in the backs w/ assault rifles. It could probably easily be doubled / tripled in back, but I think one guy per truck seems the norm.

Anyway I think that's intimidating as hell, so it's really not the issue.

I think the main reason that cartels and general crimes can thrive in Mexico is because of poverty, as the main reason for crime anywhere in the world. Overpopulation creates poverty, and poverty leads to crime etc.

There is just so many people in Mexico, so much poverty, the basic conditions will always have crimes and unofficial transactions of many kinds.

There also seems a lot of wildness and craziness in Mexico, the sun is always beating down too strong each day, it will kill you with sunburn at midday. It seems there's too much life-energy in Mexico, too much wildness and craziness that will always be there. Crimes and cartels etc. come from the basic conditions there, and anywhere with too many people and too much poverty. I think that's really all it is.

posted on Mar, 31 2022 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I don’t mean to mock your work you did a fantastic job with first hand reporting. Unfortunately in my home town a very little town 3 police were shot and one died today answering a domestic dispute call. I as a former war fighter take gear, training, and unit readiness very seriously perhaps even too critical at times. The tragedy today still goes to show even armored up in standard vest with firearms training and experience, life or death is around every corner. Be ready

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 11:15 AM
link   
By the way, it's just such an unreal scene. The flood of authorities with machine guns and mismatched outfits because they're all completely different groups. Groups of tourists wandering around. Random luggage thrown around, hats, sunglasses, sandals, shoes, etc. Most customers still waiting outside (as the scare happened inside the building).

The blare of the siren. Ironically the voice-message that's also playing, is not about the current event, it's only talking about COVID social distancing, presumably just continuing from before the scare happened.

...And so: the siren is about the current scare, but really it does very little to just blare a siren... lol.

Then all the lights are still on for all the signs, terminals, restaurants, etc., so it gives the impression of normalcy. Mixed with siren and mismatched troops, it's like a strange dream, isn't it?

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Along those lines, the police show in the video, and in general in Mexico, that police are obviously using insane military power as their main presence. Always carrying assault rifles.

...And that also implies how much the criminals and gangs etc. must be thriving with their own power, and numbers, and weapons etc.

There's not just overpopulation and poverty, there seems just real wildness in Mexico, like for example, if you drive into local areas (as we passed through a couple / few times), it looks like people might be living on dirt floors, in their shacks, and they might be living on raising & killing a few chickens, maybe. It's easy to imagine such places might have no electricity, let alone people having official jobs or even official license or ID for themselves, it's like going back in time.

So with people living like that, there will be chaos and crimes, but also, there's probably not even an option of being official about anything, so really their entire lives are off-the-grid, so everything they do would be unofficial and possibly considered criminal, I mean stuff like unofficial food carts selling hot food, etc.

And in such conditions, then of course there could be gangs or cartels that thrive. They are probably providing income and structure for impoverished people who don't have a choice of living a legit official life of any kind.

It's a fascinating place and I've only just seen such towns in driving through them.

new topics

top topics

join