It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it some drivers have a superiority complex and disorder against cyclists.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I was riding home tonight down a narrow street, and from out of nowhere a big fat Mercedes benz suv flew past on my right, about a foot and a half from me. I would babe been about just over a metre from the kerb.

I have mounted a small compressed air can boat emergency horn on my bike.

I gave him a quick toot, to say hey!

He hard braked put his window down and j was called virtually ever f and c under the sun.

I said mate you were too close and at speed, about 55 in a 40 kilometre area.

He said you were too far from the kerb, yo f and c.

I just kept riding he sped off.

Funniest thing is if his kid was killed whilst riding, I am sure he would have a different attitude.

I drive as well and it’s no skin off my nose to wait that 20 seconds to let the cyclist get into a position they feel safe, and I can pass.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:05 AM
link   
a reply to: robsmith

I 100% do not understand this either. Especially considering where I live, you might have to pass 1 cyclist a week.

People will definitely make arguments about roads being for motor vehicles and slow speeds causing accidents, registration and insurance. I still don't get it. I could see if you lived in a city without bike lanes, and cyclists were constantly weaving through traffic, that could be anxiety inducing.

In our biggest city, they have lots of bike lanes, and drivers still hit cyclists pretty often.

It's such a weird thing to get so angry about. (At least in my local area.)

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Pedestrians are more difficult to explain, other cars are too robust, bikers could be tough, trains are no contest, so what's left? Little Timmy on his pushbike.

I like to have a gopro mounted in a backpack with only the lens showing. You catch the evil sneer on their faces as they swerve towards you.
edit on 28 3 2022 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:19 AM
link   
It's a small nuisance but should be tolerated IMHO.

Get honks from cars behind while refusing to overtake a bicyclist, because I can't see far enough to safely overtake, like going up a hill or before a curve. Especially the race bicycle drivers that go like 50kmh, needs some more space than someone just tucking along with 15kmh. Not risking to accelerate to make overtake time shorter. And I also had cyclist turn their back because I was creeping along behind them, for exact that reason, pointing middle fingers because they feel followed or threatened. But what can I do? Nothing, I have to wait until no cars are coming and then I can overtake.

Some just generally are assholes, bicyclist are no exemption to this. When I have that or similar happening I have zero concerns for their ears when I overtake. It's a give and take. Be a rude asshole to me while I look out for your safety and get the answer that way.

What I can't understand are these bicycles where the cyclist is laying flat. Visibility = zero especially at night with their flimsy little back light is all you have, just drowning out in the reflective pylons near the street.
edit on 28-3-2022 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct
Where I live there are too many recent arrivals, I have nothing against them, though I followed a driver home who almost squeezed me into the gutter and off my bike. I confronted her and asked why did she do this, sadly not a word of English.

Sadly many people have the rego/road tax argument at the forefront of their minds. Though may not realise that the cyclist has a car at home, though prefers to ride for fitness, convenience.

Now the price of petrol here is over 2 dollars a litre if I can ride to work why not.

Same where I live. I have to use a couple of small streets to get to the bike track along the creek, and same way home. I might have to ride the extra 3 kilometres along the track to keep away from drivers.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Pedestrians it’s questionable, though where I live these these neveau riche substance lords/dealers who don’t give a damn. I see the young punks going 80 or 90 k’s an hour in my street which is a 40 zone. Though there are no footpaths the road us a shared zone. Dumb council!

I need to get a camera of some sort, as these maniacs would leave you for dead, there’s a possibility that at least their rego plate might be captured.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:30 AM
link   

Honestly, save yourself the hospital stay.

The same people who go postal over cyclist will explode over having to drive 50km/hr for 5 minutes behind a tractor. Dang... just admit you have control issues/road rage and get some therapy.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Agreed there are some bad cyclists out there, when I side, and a driver give me skate or gives way, instead of cutting me off. I’ll give the a wave to say thanks.

You are a considerate person. Even when riding, the thing I find crazy, in narrow street where only one car can get through as cars parked either side.

some maniac will sit up my butt and hold the horn down, those drivers deserve the bird.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith
I was riding home tonight down a narrow street, and from out of nowhere a big fat Mercedes benz suv flew past on my right, about a foot and a half from me. I would babe been about just over a metre from the kerb.

I have mounted a small compressed air can boat emergency horn on my bike.

I gave him a quick toot, to say hey!

He hard braked put his window down and j was called virtually ever f and c under the sun.

I said mate you were too close and at speed, about 55 in a 40 kilometre area.

He said you were too far from the kerb, yo f and c.

I just kept riding he sped off.

Funniest thing is if his kid was killed whilst riding, I am sure he would have a different attitude.

I drive as well and it’s no skin off my nose to wait that 20 seconds to let the cyclist get into a position they feel safe, and I can pass.

IF,a and I start with capital IF for a reason, you are one of those bikers that are a complete asshole expecting traffic to yield to you, then you deserve it.

If the driver was a dick and saw you, then he's in the wrong.

Lets put it this way, if you dress up in speedos and a helmet for your bike ride, you are 100% in the wrong.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I don’t need a hospital stay! I think I’ll have to try a different route.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I wouldn’t wear Speedo’s...wouldn’t even attempt it. I was in my work clothes.

I hope he did see me as he came up from behind, I had my lights on.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: robsmith

I wouldn’t wear Speedo’s...wouldn’t even attempt it. I was in my work clothes.

I hope he did see me as he came up from behind, I had my lights on.

Could have missed you from texting, could have been just a dick, but if you weren't in the way of traffic at all then yep, he's a dick, and a wrong dick.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:40 AM
link   

The Tour de France riding folks.

I got in an argument with one, not in a situation but during a conversation in a bar. It was a similar topic, just that it was about using dedicated bicycle lanes when they are there.

The argument was that he can not do that, because the rims are so flimsy, that stones that are around on these bicycle lanes, will destroy his bicycle and get him wobbly rims.

Then buy sturdy rims, when there are dedicated bike lanes they have to use them, cheap excuses like a high tech bike that is very fragile is a self made problem because of taking bicycle riding to the extremes and should not be the problem of the drivers on the road.

When there is a dedicated bicycle lane.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain

The Tour de France riding folks.

I got in an argument with one, not in a situation but during a conversation in a bar. It was a similar topic, just that it was about using dedicated bicycle lanes when they are there.

The argument was that he can not do that, because the rims are so flimsy, that stones that are around on these bicycle lanes, will destroy his bicycle and get him wobbly rims.

Then buy sturdy rims, when there are dedicated bike lanes they have to use them, cheap excuses like a high tech bike that is very fragile is a self made problem because of taking bicycle riding to the extremes and should not be the problem of the drivers on the road.

When there is a dedicated bicycle lane.

Exactly, they want the road to be perfect, but bicyclists literally contribute nothing to making the road that way. It's called entitlement.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Who knows, what he was doing or thinking. Though texting and calling is the norm around here.

I think it was he has indebted himself on a 120 k Mercedes at 10 percent interest, and now petrol is over 2 dollars a litre, he maybe feels shafted, cause it only costs me about 150.00 a year to ride, repairs and servicing.

Whose the smarter one! He probably now realised how lame he is locked into a five year lease and a service contract that will cost him 200 thousand for a car probably worth 30 k in 5 years.

Or he might be thinking, why.

m.youtube.com...

edit on 28-3-2022 by robsmith because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:54 AM
link   
I find cyclists arrogant and annoying, but I don’t wish them physical harm. I guess cussing them out sounds about right.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 03:57 AM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Lol, some cyclists are too precious, I get it if you want to spend 15 thousand on a bike, though the roads are at best average, ride somewhere else,Potholes, etc.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 04:05 AM
link   

Live and let live. I myself considered getting a bicycle with electric support so I can commute to my shop. There's always a car around if I need one.

But I decided against it, because I plotted possible ways to get there without using trans-city/town lanes that are 100kmh regulated mostly and saw that I would have to drive over half the way on these roads.

And decided against it because safety and not being THAT one every morning holding up 30 cars behind me.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 04:09 AM
link   

If this dude was complaining about stones, simples get a broom and sweep the road.

posted on Mar, 28 2022 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

A lot of them are. Especially In Melbourne city, the wreckless cyclists are the Uber eats, deliver ok etc cyclists. They run ted lights straight through pedestrians crossing.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join