It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KEE-ev vs. Keeve Is there some psychological trickery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have noticed in the past that whenever a big news story that is being pushed in the MSM, pronunciation of some words will be changed from what used to be normal to something that sounds very different.

At one time, if you cooked a chicken breast with herbed butter or bleu cheese inside, it was called chicken 'KEE-ev'.
If you ordered it in a restaurant, you asked for chicken KEE-ev..... NOT chicken keeve.

I heard a news reporter accidentally pronounce it 'KEE-ev' two days ago, and he quickly corrected himself, by saying 'KEEVE'.

It seems like a memo must have went out when this Ukraine/Russia thing started, telling the reporters and politicians to pronounce it the new way.
Is it a psychological trick to change our way of processing the new information coming to us from the MSM by giving us a break in our usual connection to Ukraine in our own mind?

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:25 AM
link   
They know that if you accept the new word pronunciation, you are more likely to accept the rest of the bovine excrement -hook, line, sinker and IED.
edit on 17-3-2022 by Lazarus Short because: oof

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy
Hi, glad you posted this, same here, I'm in the UK.
It has ALWAYS been said "kee-ev" here, everyone I've ever known, and every news media, so I assumed the sudden change is because we've always said it wrong... trouble is I don't know a single Ukrainian to verify this 🙄🤔

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   

From what I understand the spelling and pronunciation of Kiev used until recently was the Russian translation.

The current Kyiv being used is the Ukrainian translation. And everyone has started using this one as a show of solidarity with Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:33 AM
link   

I always knew it as Kiev, KEY-ev. And also as Chicken Kiev, KEY-ev.

Never seen it as Kyev or Kyiv before, and never heard it pronounced Keeve neither.

Whatever the Ukrainians call it, i would call it

edit on 17-3-2022 by Moohide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

From what I understand the spelling and pronunciation of Kiev used until recently was the Russian translation.

The current Kyiv being used is the Ukrainian translation. And everyone has started using this one as a show of solidarity with Ukraine.

Thanks.
That sounds believable, but I still don't trust the news media.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   
If your observations are correct, there is indeed a psychologic mechanism that has a dedicated term. I can not remember currently (sorry), but I can try explain it to you.

Words have associated meanings. It's like a basked with the word itself and it has different other descriptive words inside that basket. That's the knowledge you associate with the word.

If I write "nature", you instantly may think of flowing water, mountains, trees, animals, see the planet in your inner eye.

If I write "Nat-ure" you are first confused because your brain starts to detect the pattern but struggles connection. You now have attention on the different word but still its just an alias for you. Through repeating and combining it with the words of choice, the reader starts to learn these new associations, disassociate with the original term and you end up with a basket named "nat-ure" and it might contain terms like "evil" "gruesome" "cold" "deadly".

What just happened, you have just been brainwashed without even knowing it. The seed has been planted and through further repetitions that do not need to be as much of a stimuli than during the initiation phase, the neurons in your brain responsible for that basket are activated more often. Activation then strengthens these connections.

Hope I could explain it so it is somewhat relateable.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:38 AM
link   

You know in the US most people say drinking fountain, but we call it a bubbler.
That is what we call it in Wisconsin, it is the exact same thing.

Now imagine if that bubbler is a country, they want to be called a bubbler.

I am the biggest conspiracy theorist but I don’t think this has meat. Just look at any war torn area in history.
The aggressor has always tried to force their language, their words, their way of saying things. If the aggressor is bigger the words/name usually stick.

For example Mila Kunis, there was an article about her always telling people that she was from Russia, but now she says she is from Ukraine.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I have always heard it kee-ev and when I was in Kiev, the Ukrainians pronounced it Kee-ev as well. Not Keev. If memory serves. It was around 2010.
Also I have received emails from Ukranians, and in their writing, they wrote it Kiev as well.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I was just reading up on the name 'Ukraine'.
I found that most Ukrainians resent the name 'Ukraine' because it represents what they have been called through their time as a dependent part of the Russian Empire and the Soviet Union.
Maybe the news media will learn this and we will be forced to hear them call Ukraine by another less sensitive name... East Slovakia or Upper Romania, perhaps?

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
In the Netherlands it is also Kiev KIE - EV thats how you pronounce it ere.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Blubber means mud in a bunch of dutch dialects

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Seems like woke-speak and using its preferred pronoun nonsense to me.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I’ve always pronounced it kee-ev myself. And Mueller, as myoo-ler, not muller. The latter of which, I know people with that last name.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:34 AM
link   
I saw a post on this several weeks ago that it is a algorithm trick when searching in google. From what I gathered there is quite a big difference in the information that pulls up when searching the different spellings. What was inferred from the post I read the search using the traditional spelling resulted in searches that did not present the current power structure in such a good light.

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Australia is pronounced Os -tray- lia but some Australians generally pronounce it “Stray ya”, Keeve , Kiev, Key yev, whatever but standing in solidarity makes sense, key yev for me, what I was told

How to pronounce and spell 'Kyiv', and why it matters ...
Search domain theguardian.comwww.theguardian.com... › world › 2022 › feb › 25 › how-to-pronounce-and-spell-kyiv-kiev-ukraine-and-why-it-matters
25 Feb 2022The short answer is simple: Ukrainians call their capital "Kyiv" (kee-yiv), the spelling, a transliteration of the Ukrainian Київ. The Russian version is "Kiev" (kee-yev). The latter ...

In fact if it was an Australian city, we would probably call it “Kev”
edit on 17-3-2022 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2022 @ 10:40 AM
link   
And here I was thinking I was imagining things....
Thanks .

posted on Mar, 25 2022 @ 01:59 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Mar, 25 2022 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy same here in Britain overnight the MSM changed it. Also doing the same with Kharkov, it was always that including Laurence Olivier in World at War but it's now changed to Kharkeev

top topics

join