It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The part of prepping nobody is talking about and could be a reality

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 02:56 PM
link   
If nukes go off here, I can't move away, I will be dead. If Nukes go off all over the country, I guess there is no safer place anyway, how are they going to crowd millions of people in one area without it turning into hell.

If that happens, I am going to stay right where I am and enjoy the rest of my life. Maybe the bar owners will take off and leave all their booze on the shelves.....If everyone is gone, I can spend the rest of my life getting drunk. Maybe all the pot stores will leave inventory...yeah, I doubt that, everyone will be stocking up before they leave....don't want to die all high anyway.

Whatever happens, I don't want to spend the last of my years stressed out and crowded into an area with a lot of people, that would be worse than living in a nursing home. I am sixty six, it is all downhill now anyway. Think about how many old people spent the last of their days stuck in a house and couldn't go to social functions or see friend, they tortured the hell out of those people at the end of their lives, hell they wouldn't even let their kids and friends visit them in the end...Hell on earth. Fauci is the new name for the Devil I guess, got to add that in the dictionary. After you retire you do not have many years left to do things, they took that away.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I prepare as if I was going to be able to stay a while, but have tools of all kind ready to help us in case we have to leave. And we have many tools in duplicata so we can all contribute on a project, or get by if we get seperated. We'd bring as much food as possible, but like many posters said, there IS lots of food, free for the taking, outside in the wild.

Things I'd bring en masse is iodine. The Lugol solution. And salt.

As you point in your OP, the best thing to bring is knowledge. It's weightless, can be shared without loss, etc. So I have, too, with my boys, looked at things to learn how to do in case we need to move out in a hurry.
2 years ago they thought I was alarmist, not to say crazy of delusions.

Sadly, not anymore... At least, they keep a good morale, which is another important aspect to all of this.

The rest, I leave in God's hand.
edit on 16-3-2022 by coamanach because: Typo!

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I am too old to worry about hanging around for any length of time if we are hit with a catastrophe.

I don't get older , i am getting wiser.
You did not think about the young folks without any real life experience .
Hang around and impart that wisdom so they may survive .
Stop being selfish .

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Stop being selfish .

A lot of the population do not know a world before the internet. We need people our age to help them.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
a reply to: Gothmog

Stop being selfish .

A lot of the population do not know a world before the internet. We need people our age to help them.

Absolutely .

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Expect the best plan for the worst, if your bug in plan doesnt have a GOTH plan you failed in planning.

least thats the way I see it.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

With any Prep you should always plan 3 load outs...Home, Vehicle and foot. This includes food, water, shelter, fire, guns, ammo, and anything else to include but not limited to socks.

Home: floor to ceiling. Limited only to the size of your home and what your better half will allow.

Vehicle: size definitely matters here. A Honda Civic will hold less than a Ford F150, obviously. Planning ahead helps and storing separately can help for a quicker evac. This would include horse and wagon.

Foot: bare necessities, what you can Carry on your back or pulled behind you in a sled or push cart.

There are other options, some can afford well stocked bug out locations but for the common Joe or Jane, you have these 3 stages. I know one guy whose buyout location is over 100 miles from his home. When you think it's time to bugout...it's already too late.

I've known some who had caches located along a specific route. As long as nothing happens to the route they've got supplies.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 09:30 PM
link   

The native Americans have recipes for a survival food, don't know how many people have heard of it. But if you are serious about survival, look up Pemican. Lewis and Clark got some from the native tribes they first dealt with, it saved their butts in the hard winter months in the north. It takes practice to make right, trial and error, but with current vacuum seal tech, this stuff will literally last forever. At least a hundred years.

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Our town has a public map of foragable trees and plants. A friend of mine taught me how to locate natural fresh water springs a few years ago. I'm lucky enough to be in a good location for such things. I have a bug out bag, but I've been working on getting the weight down, as it's pretty heavy now. I'd be pretty encumbered as is. It's tough really deciding what's important.
edit on 16-3-2022 by sine.nomine because: Typo

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Absolutely!

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Here my lists for BOBs . . .

BOB (Bug Out Bag) Survival Prep List

The emergency kits described here are designed based on a concept I call the "Prepper Rule of Three". After studying the most likely disaster scenarios I've decided to approach my prep with the following time tables in mind.

Be ready to leave any location immediately, within three hours, or within three days.

This will require three different sized kits . . .
* A small everyday carry (EDC) kit
* A light weighted backpack kit with supplies to last three days
* A larger bug-in/bug-out kit in plastic bins to last three weeks

An EDC kit would contain only the most basic supplies that can be carried at all times. The backpack kit would have supplies for a rough three day hiking/camping trip. The bug-in/bug-out kit would be a household emergence kit designed to last three weeks and can be transported in a bug-out vehicle. All three kits should work together for redundancy when combined.

EDC Small Bag or Pocket Survival Kit The absolute basics that can be carried at all times.

Altoids Tin Survival Kit. I was able to fit the following 51 items into the tin.

* 1 thirty gallon plastic garbage bag (works as a roof, rain poncho and part of solar still)
* 1 small 3 blade pen knife (cutting wood, skinning game, etc.)
* 1 plastic magnifying glass with 3X and 6X lens (fire starter)
* 1 toothbrush with shortened handle (dental health)
* 1 four meter roll of waxed dental floss (dental health, use as heavy thread)
* 1 guitar string snare with swivel attached (trapping small game)
* 30' - 40' of 20lb test fishing line (fishing and snares)
* 8 fishing hooks in 4 different sizes
* 3 different sized snap swivels and 1 large swivel
* 3 twist ties (multi-uses)
* 1 small zip lock plastic baggy for fishing stuff
* 2 large heavy gauge sewing needles (for heavy material and leather)
* 6" X 12" sheet of aluminum foil (reflective signal, part of solar still, fish lure)
* 11 band aids (1 large 4", 2 large 2", 4 small 2" strips, and 4 small butterflies)
* 12 OTC or Prescription Pills (2 laxatives, 2 anti-diarrheal, 4 water purifying, 4 pain relievers)
* 1 Sani-wipe sheet
* 1 sheet (8.5 X 11) with first aid tips and illustrations of simple animal traps.

BOB Backpack and/or canvas sack with supplies for 3 days that can be hiked out. I can't be sure how much this might weigh, of course it can be reduced down by eliminating many items in this list.

Clothes - Wear appropriate foot ware and clothing (with extra pockets) for weather conditions.
* One change of clothes with extra socks (including wool socks) and under ware (including long under ware)
* Rain Gear (Rain Poncho or Jacket)
* Insect netting (If necessary)
* One Pair Broken-in Hiking Boots
* One Pair of Comfortable Shoes
* Leather Work Gloves
* Baseball Cap or Wide Brimmed Hat (Camo Preferred)
* 2 Bandanas
* Polaroid Sunglasses
* Two Pair Prescription Glasses (If necessary)
* Small Sewing Kit

First Aid Kit Containing
* All Prescription Medications normally needed
* Basic First Aid Manual (or Boy Scouts Handbook)
* Arm Sling
* Ace Bandages
* Assorted Band Aids
* Vial of Tincture of Iodine
* Bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide
* Bottle of Rubbing Alcohol
* Tube of Triple Antibiotic Ointment
* Asparin and other OTC Pain Releavers
* OTC Allergy and Cold Medicines
* Roll of Medical gauze
* Roll of Medical Tape
* Thermometer
* Tweezers
* Small Safety Scissors
* Cotton Balls and Q-Tips
* A Few Latex Type Gloves
* A Few Surgical Type Masks

Hygiene Kit
* Toothbrush, Small Travel Toohpaste and Box of Dental Floss
* 1 Roll of Toilet Paper
* 1 Regular Bar Soap and Small Bottle of Dish Detergent (Detergent in Mess Kit)
* Comb and Nail Clippers
* Towel and Wash Cloth
* Antipersperant/deordant

Mess Kit Containing
* Camp Cooking Guide (Optional)
* Roll of Aluminum Foil
* Fork, Spoon and Knife
* Manual Can Opener
* Small Pot or Sauce Pan (one quart or less)
* Cup Sized Tin Cup and Large Plastic Thermal Mug
* Water Bottle or Canteen
* Small Bottle of Dish Detergent
* Assorted Ziplock Bags

Food Stuffs
* 2 Gal. Min. Water Supply to last one person 3 days
* 3 Cups Sugar
* Small Shaker of Iodize Salt
* 10 Cups of Flour
* Pint of Cooking Oil
* 3 Day Supply of Coffee (12 or so tablespoons) and/or Tea
* 3 Cups Oat Meal
* 3 Cups Dried Rice
* 3 Cups Dried Beans (Navy, Pinto, Black, Etc.)
* 3 Cups Dehydrated Onions
* 3 Cups Dehydrated Potatoes
* 1.5 lbs Jerky
* Small Bag of Trail Mix
* Spices - Pepper & Garlic Powder or a Mix of Spices (like Mrs Dash), 10 tablespoons
* Assorted Gum and Hard Candies
* Multi Vitamins (50 tablets)
* Pint of Whiskey (Optional)

Camping Tool Kit
* Swiss Army Style Knife or Multi-Tool
* Long Bowie Knife or Machete
* Fold Up Shovel
* Buck Saw or Bow Saw with Sharpening File
* Small Hatchet (Doubles as a Hammer)
* Medium Sized Metal File and Sharpening Stone
* Bear Grease or Vasolene

Other Supplies and Equipment
* Personal Water Filter and Iodine or Chlorine Purification Tablets
* Canvas Water Bucket (preferred) or Fold-up Water Bottles
* Zippo Lighter with Extra Flints & Small Can of Fluid and a Magenesium Block & Flint
* 8' X 12' or Larger Tarp (Brown, Green or Camo) with Tie Down Rope and Tent Stakes
* Sleeping Bag or Blanket, Small Pillow and Sleeping Pad
* Slingshot with Extra Power Bands
* Pump Air Rifle and Pointed Hunting Ammo (Optional)
* Accurate and Reliable Compass
* Small Roll of Binder's Twine
* 1lb. of 16 Penny Common Spike Nails
* Several Lengths of Piano Wire for Snare Making
* Fishing Kit with Hooks, Line, Lures, Spoons, Flies, Etc.
* Bright Flashlight, Solar or Wind-up Rechargable Prefferred
* Small Bottle of Insect Repellent
* A Couple of Garbage Bags
* 100' of Nylon Rope
* Small Battery Operated Radio (with shortwave if possible)
* All Necessary Batteries (rechargable) and solar charger
* Deck of Playing Cards
* Books - First Aid Manual, Survival Guide (Required - the Boy Scouts Handbook covers both), the Bible, and the Hoyle Book of Games (both optional but recommended).
* Copy of the Federal and State Constitutions
* Detailed Maps (road maps, trails & topography maps).
* Copy of Important Papers, ID, Birth Certificate, SS Card, Voter Registration Card, Selective Service Card, Property Titles (land, vehicles, etc.).
edit on 16-3-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Minor adjustment

posted on Mar, 16 2022 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Not long ago on another site preppers were discussing their stored food supplies and how they were nearly all off well before the time bar 1 brand that seemed ok , some were saying that after only a few years everything was off when they had a 25 year shelf life ? Mostly everyone who replied found the same problem with their food .

I used to think preppers were nuts now I am one of them got 4 suitcases full of tins and backpacks of noodles etc I know of 2 dumbs in my area one I worked in nearly 40 years ago and it's HUGE really HUGE and nobody even knows it's there or how it got built without anyone knowing mind you it is under a army barracks and a main hospital .

It fried my brain as a young man how big this place was and how easy it was to get lost in there and I have been on some big construction jobs and I never get lost as I have good inbuilt awareness of space ,my boss at the time was blown away at this place being there and nobody noticed.

Over the years I got talking to a lot of blokes about this you would be surprised how many are hidden away in plain sight and are looked after and stocked up 2 guys I worked with told me about one they worked in with a 14 mile tunnel system ! I am in a area the royal family have evacuation areas if shtf the Chinooks land late at night to resupply it and nobody noticed thinking it is just military games nothing like the Russians when they built a 400 square mile dumb and stocked it up as they Soviet Union was collapsing then decided to build another bigger one you really would be surprised what is under your feet sometimes Jag .

I never live far from running water if the bodies start flowing down in a shtf scenario just pretend you're in India and always have a back up plan mine is to be the first to ramraid the local supermarket for alcohol and tobacco

I am like a cockroach I can survive just about anything life throws at me

posted on Mar, 21 2022 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The part of prepping nobody is talking about and could be a reality

It comes down to location,location,location.

The further removed one is from high-higher population densities the better.

Bugging out is no more realistic pre SHTF than it is post.

Stealth is the way to go.

If you want to stock pile an oversized root cellar with hidden storage with something like a murphy door.

posted on Mar, 21 2022 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Lawnchair, beer, smoke, shades.
All set for nuclear war.

posted on Mar, 23 2022 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Good luck moving around. You need to dial that down quite a bit. So many of those things can be made in the wild.

I basically have rope, plastic sheeting, gas masks, some ammo and guns (registered), and a few matches and the knowledge to make more. The information to build fishing rods and hooks, and how to build snares. The knowledge to built fires. The knowledge to throw knives. The knowledge to talk to women, lol. The knowledge to pick locks and hold homes. Pretty sure I'm good with the minimum.

Hell, I've made toothbrushes out of local flora and caught and eaten venomous snakes. I've built shelters. It's not too strange. BTW activated charcoal should be in your bug out bag. And cinnamon. And be well hydrated. And be aware of the sunlight.
edit on 23-3-2022 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2022 @ 05:24 AM
link   

I've always had a thick concrete basement, sometimes hidden. It probably wouldn't help with nuclear fallout, but it's always nonexposed. I've been thinking about closing it off in my new place and adding a switch to open it. Maybe in the curio cabinet downstairs. I could do it for less the a grand. The problem is there's a window, so we'd have to figure that out.

posted on Mar, 23 2022 @ 06:26 AM
link   

You have a bug out bag. That's usually enough supplies in the trunk of your vehicle to last you a week or so. Then you contact other preppers in your network and motor over to wherever they are.

posted on Mar, 24 2022 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Here's my 'pro tip' for a bug-out situation:

Learn how to pick locks & dismantle padlocks, and purchase an all-in-one folding lock pick set, as well as suitable padlock-decimating tools (look up the very informative videos on YouTube for descriptions of what you need & how to deal with said padlocks)

We all like to think we'd be perfectly capable at living off our own supplies, or maybe we're pretty good with the old foraging knowledge - but what happens if you are displaced rapidly, with no time to do anything except grab a rucksack on your way out of the door/ after your vehicle runs out of fuel somewhere alien to you? We all should be decent, respectful, righteous people - but sometimes needs must in a very hostile, evolving situation, and for the need of pure survival, you may be forced to obtain supplies in an illicit manner, especially if supply lines & law & order have broken down, at least to some extent. Many civilians who don't know any better may agree to be herded by authorities into taking immediate car journeys/ boarding special buses/ embarking on forced land marches to a place of supposed 'sanctuary' (or internment), and their homes will be thus abandoned to all intents & purposes, with many such domiciles harbouring essential supplies that you, as the lone/family survivalist, could very well make use of in the moment. As it's pure survival, and as the residents are unlikely to be home soon, and as the goods themselves are likely to be of low real-terms value in the grand scheme of things (I'm thinking first aid kits, a bottle of whiskey for fortitude & sterilising wounds, packet soups & dehydrated pasta meals, etc) - the original homeowner is less likely to be bothered if they ever do get the chance to return to their home. Of course there are items of moderate to high value such as tools & vehicles, and you may get lucky with a spare set of car keys in the house - but again, this is pure survival. If society doesn't completely crumble, there will be insurance claims in the hereafter, and most items would probably be replaced with the householder having fallen prey to 'looting' in the intermediate term chaos which the region was exposed to.

Along this line of thinking, I personally carry a really nice little folding lock pick set in my wallet, which looks like a sleek silver penknife, the wallet has a couple of large zip-up compartments on the outer edges/faces of the closed wallet, and the tool is small & streamlined enough to present no practical obstacle to being carried in this manner on a daily basis. When you actually learn how to pick a lock, you will be amazed at how illusory our sense of home security actually is, when you see that a practiced lock-picker could be into your house in under 20 seconds, with absolutely no chance of neighbours thinking it's anyone but a friend or family member who happens to have keyholder access to the house. If confronted, you grab the post off the mat & inform said neighbour that 'Terry' or 'Bob' is your cousin, and he's had an accident en-route to wherever, and you're calling in to grab some of his gome comforts to ease him in his laid-up condition. Almost certainly you'd get away with that even in normal times. In abnormal times, there'd probably be nobody around to challenge your accessing of the property so brazenly.

So although, in normal times, I would never condone theft of any sort - in dangerous, challenging, abnormal times, it is a perfectly reasonable strategy to 'forage' in the many homes & smaller business properties which you could access with a lock pick without attracting too much attention. As long as your motive is survival, and the situation is chaotic with a high chance of Bad Things happening to the under-prepared, even taking high value items such as jewellery could be considered justified when considering bartering for supplies at the next trading post you happen upon. I'm a God-fearing Christian, but I stand by what I have written here, as long as you are not jeopardising the wellbeing & security/ life of the person/s whose home you have chanced upon. If your motive is out & out profit, you're a scumbag who should be imprisoned - but if your life, and the lives of your nearest & dearest are on the line, and the owner is not likely to be home within the next fortnight, then it's a legitimate salvage in wartime, and your conscience can remain clear.

Cheers, FITO.

posted on Mar, 24 2022 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I think the recent ATS outage just gave a real world example of what preppers do not want to discuss…

We are social creatures. Most people need social contact. There was an addendum to the rule of threes: Three months without companionship. Every successful plan I have read about long term sustainability includes distributive workload. A good example is MichiganSwampBuck’s list. If carried by two adults and a child or two 7-10 years old would be great along with their basic needs.

The first consideration in prepping (which is an entirely different animal than survival) is to Bug In or to Bug Out. The gear list is completely different. Everyone knows the US GI Mess kit with the “frying pan” and two compartment plate. The “frying pan” is really the entree compartment to make it into an elongated metal tray to last a lifetime, but that is beside the point. They are great Bugging In or car camping. It would take some true dedication to hump it on foot from Cincinnati to Myrtle Beach (as an example of the distance in relocating) and still have that limited use weight still on you. Case and point, in the family of four example above would you have one person carry those mess kits (with the silverware inside each one) or everyone carry their own? And what is left out to compensate for the space and weight they take up?

posted on Mar, 24 2022 @ 09:00 AM
link   

My husband and I know how to read maps, you have to know how to read them in the military. My mom taught me how to read a map. My husband knows how to start a fire and so do I. We should know about foraging but have yet to look into it. We have a portable firesafe box that has all important documents that are needed to show who we really are. We have updated passports. I think we will be okay if we have to leave our home, it will be hard but we willame the best out of it.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join